Is it required to have AP before leaving the US ?

Hi

I may be travelling abroad between the time that my current AP expires and my renewal AP gets approved. In that case, is it ok if the AP gets mailed to me or is the rule strictly enforced that the AP should be in hand before elaving the US ?

Thank you

Similar case on TV

Bill OReilly / FOXnews had a case where a young girl left without AP to visit her grandparents in Russia. Her parents stayed back and had hoped to post it to her once her AP was approved. The girl has since been stuck over there since her parents haven't been able to get the AP for about 4-6 months now. So, better take it with you before you leave the country. ( This is with the assumption that your H1 has expired )

Hi 2001dec

I don’t know the exact answer but I think it will helpful to post. I asked my attorney the same question; he said it is always better to have AP in hand before leaving US. So I applied and got AP from VSC in October. It took me around 20 days to get AP.

Good luck to you

:) :) :)

GCFeeling
RD 09/14/01

now it is taking longer then

my ap application sent to VSC
RD is 08/10/2002
ND is 17/10/2002
and I am still waiting for approval.
I have tickets booked for 27/11/2002
!!!

kvdijas - its been over 90 days so you should be able to go to your local office with AP receipt, 485 receipt, photos and get an AP issued from there. If you can document some kind of emergency, they do issue APs on the spot. Even without an emergency, the fact that its been over 90 days should work.

sheila, if i understand it has not been 90 days for kvdijas. notice his date style is ddmmyy. so he has applied in october. i am also sure because i was participating in another thread with him about the same AP thing.

kvdijas, it seems like you were posting this morning. so you did not go to the arlington office. did you call the iio again?

i decided to wait

Hey Bobby,
Today I had to goto office for some emergency work there..
( I am a contractor, contract expiring in dec , so I have to go if they ask )
About date format, it is ddmmyy... sorry about that confusion.
(Sheila, 17 cannot be a month!)

Today my immigration lawyer was back from vacation.
he said, I cannot have two AP at the same time.

now I can goto arlington only tomorrow. Chances of getting that in hand by next tuesday is almost same as my VSC getting in hand by tuesday. both not gonna happen.
maybe my rfe'd I-485 will get approved before that??

Now, I will be paying some monies to my travel agent for my tickets, my wifes ticket, and my sons ticket. So +220$ for AP application and one day off for that at the time is not worth it!!!

Now I am happy that I made some decision before ins did.
:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

I will keep you guys posted if something happens in my case.

Didn't notice your ND, only RD and missed the date format. Another person on this forum got dissed at Arlington but got his EAD or AP from Norfolk, VA. If you are VA based, try that. I am going to try Baltimore myself as I live in MD suburb of DC. Smaller offices are better. Arl. is huge.

What that means is if you have missed something in the past regarding status in us, there is a risk in travelling abroad even if you have aos pending.
I send ar-11 form ten months after moving. I dont know if that will be a problem because I updated my address in a week by calling vsc.