Is it possible to go on overseas assignment after filing for form N-400?

polarbear

I am getting ready to file for my US citizenship and my company has asked me to go on an overseas assignment for 1.5 years. I plan to leave after filing a re-entry permit even though I plan to return every 6 months so as not to exceed the 6 month requirement. I would rather not wait to file for citizenship after I return from the assignment and in any case, I do not want to reset my eligibility clock back to zero.
Can I file N-400 before leaving for the assignment?
I can come back for my Fingerprints, Interview and Oath as necessary.
Is it essential to stay in the country until I take the oath? One immigration officer I talked to over the phone said that my plan is okay. Another one I taked to in person at the USCIS office in Houston said that I cannot leave the country till I take the oath. I am afraid that with such difference of opinion, an immigration officer reviewing the N-400 or he one at interview or oath may deny the application.

Any suggestions or has anybody come across similar situation in one of the posts? Does anyone have a personal experience with similar situation?

Thanks a lot in advance for providing any useful advise/comments!

You can definitely still travel in the time between submitting the N-400 and taking the oath, but you need to make sure you don't bust the residency requirements.

Given that you will be working for the same US-based employer, I doub't you'll have much trouble convincing your IO that this is a temporary assignment. Nevertheless, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a letter stating such from your employer.

Sounds like you're in a very similar situation I was in last year when I applied for my citizenship. I agree with boatbod's response.

You can definitely file the N400 and still travel. As was pointed out, you'll need to ensure that you meet all the criteria (continuous residency etc) at any point during the lifecycle (filing->oath) of your application. It would be wise to get a letter from your employer stating that you're overseas on a temporary company sponsored assignment and that your employer intends for you to return to the US upon completion of the assignment. You'll be fine as long as you meet the other criteria and can travel to the US for fingerprinting, interview and oath. I was in the same situation and took a letter from my company to the interview. My IO didnt even ask for the letter but its nice to have this in your back pocket (just in case you get a really grumpy one) :)