Is it passport stamp OR Green Card???

abc94536

Registered Users (C)
I just got my approval and the online status says that the green card has been mailed to my address.

I would like to know if I need to get my passport stamped?

I have to travel to Europe and India soon and I was wondering - will the physical green card be enough or anything else is required?

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I have a question. I lost my permenant resident card, already mailed the I-90 application, they already received it this Wednesday. Now, about the temporary evidence of permanent residency status, what is it? Is it a stamp on a passport? Is that the only evidence they can give you for employment purposes? What if an employer denies that evidence? Since I am going to be waiting for my permanent resident card for 3-6 months, then that evidence is supposed to take the card's place right? So if the employer does not hire me because I do not have my permanent resident card, is that illegal because it's against the law?

What can be done if that happens? I do still have a copy of my permanet resident card front and back.

Okay, I have a question. I lost my permenant resident card, already mailed the I-90 application, they already received it this Wednesday. Now, about the temporary evidence of permanent residency status, what is it? Is it a stamp on a passport? Is that the only evidence they can give you for employment purposes? What if an employer denies that evidence? Since I am going to be waiting for my permanent resident card for 3-6 months, then that evidence is supposed to take the card's place right? So if the employer does not hire me because I do not have my permanent resident card, is that illegal because it's against the law?

Your employer CANNOT deny employment just because you don't have the GC but you have the I551 stamp on the passport. The Form I9 clearly states that a person is declared resident if there is I551 stamp on the passport and the stamp & the GC are interchangeable (can be used in place of other).

Having said that, your employer CAN deny you if your I551 stamp has expired. In which case, you go to your nearest USCIS Office and take your
I90 receipt and tell them to put temporary stamp on the passport as you need it for travelling etc.

Copy of the lost GC is of no use to you. You can keep it with you for your future reference but it cannot be used in place of the real GC.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

So...what if the employer does deny hiring me because I do not have the permenant resident card?

The employer is not supposed to ask for green card or any other such proof until *after* making an offer. So go and get your passport stamped while you wait for the card.

If you see form I-9, it says that instead of a green card you can use a driver's license or state ID plus a Social Security card, if the SS card does not have any restrictions on it about being not valid for employment. Did you get a new SS card after getting the green card?

Need some help

I went through Consular Processing In Mumbai successfully on 5th June 2007, entered the US back with the 6 month I-551 Immigrant Visa Stamp. I have a few questions

a) How do I track the physical green card arrival ( any websites etc online??)
b) When in Mumbai at the consulate they signed a undertaking that this stamp is specific to the employer and I will lose it if I change my employer or lose my job. Is this valid even after I get my physical GC or only till the time I get my physical GC.

Please help

KP

Questions post CP

I had a successful CP interview on June 12th. On my passport, the IV issued says: Valid for six months and "upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year." I am confused. what does this mean. what is I-1551. Can I travel outside US with this stamp before I get the actual green card? what if I dont get the green card in six months?

I-551 is the form, in the back of the plastic card you can see it, I got the same stamp and I was confused too. I was in Miami airport last week and there is no problems with passport+green card, but if you have the stamp they will take you to a small room and check for stamp verification, only 15 minutes but if you are changing planes might hurt.