Is it OK to say 'grandchild' as a reason for parents' visa extn?

sanjit66

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
My parents arrived here in Mar'04 w/ 6-month I-94 stamp (10-yr visa) and we had a baby in Apr'04. Questions:
1. An Indian agent in CA advised us NOT to mention the baby as a reason, since US thinks that parents, by staying here, are saving money for babysitter and are, hence, indirectly working (which is NOT allowed on visitor visa). So, the extn may not be granted. Any comments/experiences with using this reason?
2. My parents came on a 1-yr open ticket. Can we use this for extn application? My fear is that CIS might think that we already had an intention of staying beyond months even before entering the US and they may reject the app.
3. When is it OK to file for extn?
4. Any tips for California SC? Processing times?
5. Is this plan ok: To gain almost full 6 months of extn, file the app close to I-94 expiry so that even if it gets rejected, at least they get to stay here for almost 6 months beyong I-94, since CIS nowdays takes months to decide.
6. How much bank balance do I have to show?

-thanks a lot!
sanjit

sanjit66 said:
Hi All,
My parents arrived here in Mar'04 w/ 6-month I-94 stamp (10-yr visa) and we had a baby in Apr'04. Questions:
1. An Indian agent in CA advised us NOT to mention the baby as a reason, since US thinks that parents, by staying here, are saving money for babysitter and are, hence, indirectly working (which is NOT allowed on visitor visa). So, the extn may not be granted. Any comments/experiences with using this reason?
2. My parents came on a 1-yr open ticket. Can we use this for extn application? My fear is that CIS might think that we already had an intention of staying beyond months even before entering the US and they may reject the app.
3. When is it OK to file for extn?
4. Any tips for California SC? Processing times?
5. Is this plan ok: To gain almost full 6 months of extn, file the app close to I-94 expiry so that even if it gets rejected, at least they get to stay here for almost 6 months beyong I-94, since CIS nowdays takes months to decide.
6. How much bank balance do I have to show?

-thanks a lot!
sanjit

1. Indian agent in CA is right.
2. No.
3. 2 months before I-94 lapses.
4. None.
5. It may lead to permanent bar, if rejected.
6. Once they are in - it does not matter.

Just apply - site the reason as fall siteseeing etc in different state etc.