Is it OK to apply for Candian PR in I-485 stage ?

sunny_sunday

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends,
Since I-485 processing is taking forever, I am thinking of
applying for Candian permanent residence as a backup.
Is it legal to do this, since I am already on EAD/AP ? Can
BCIS have problem with this ?
Please help.

If you get CDN PR where are you going to live so that you can maintain PR in both countries?? Don't you need to stay in each for more than 6 months to maintain PR in each??

Great Idea....

Sunny Sunday, I think your ideais great. In fact, I had thought about it myself. Sent me an e-mail so we can talk about it and maybe team up (just in case).

justelmer@yahoo.com

Take care.

elmerjazz, I am still in the process of evaluating if this is
a good idea, since I am not sure if US immigration can have
problem with me applying for canada PR in I-485 stage.
Do you know if it is fine to apply for canadian PR in my
case ?

IT IS OK

FOR US BUT NOT FOR CANADA. In canada movement you apply for american gc they think it as abodment of canadian pr:eek:

IT IS OK

FOR US BUT NOT FOR CANADA. In canada movement you apply for american gc they think it as abodment of canadian pr:eek:

Since I have both Canadian PR and the US Green Card, I could help with this question.

It is a good idea to apply for Canadian GreenCard as a backup. The application DOES NOT ask if you are applying I-485, which implies that the Canadians do not care if you are applying for the greencard. SO you can safely do so.

Once you obtained your Canadian PR, you have three years before you have to reside in Canada. So you may want to wait at least one year after i-485 is filed before you applied for Canadian PR. Otherwise, you may run out of time and forced to decide whether to move to Canada and abandon I-485 application.

If you obtain both US Green Card and Canadian PR, you have to decide to retain one or the other.

Thanks TSC hopeful.
Actually, the application form for permanent residence in
canada does ask for status in the current country of residence
and passport pages for current status.

I am in the office now, I can check what I wrote on the application when I return home. My guess is that you can write H-1B or EAD.

I applied after I-485 was submitted. Got my Canadian PR, no question asked. I also never read anywhere that says that you cannot apply for Greencard if you want to apply for Canadian PR. The important thing is that once you get your PR you need to reside in Canada 2 out of 5 years (From memory).

TSC Hopeful!!!

Hey TSC Hopeful, I am really interested in your comments.
I would like to ask you a few questions about this process, could I send you a private e-mail?

justelmer@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Elmer.

I went home to look at my application for Canadian PR. It does not ask me for status in US. However, I looked at the new application form and noticed that it now asks that. Like I said, I will put down work visa: H-1B, work permit: Employment Authorization Document, etc, which simply tells them that you are in USA because of employment. Many of us have done that, I don't think it's a prob.

Elmer, simply list down your questions, I will be more than happy to answer you here.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is very clear

if you read the canadian website it states that applying for us green card is a sign you are abondoning the canadian PR. of course you can hide and do whatever....but this is the legal point

Canadian PR

I have heard of ppl who got canadian GC but still work in US(on H1). You have to maintain a bank account in Canada and show some frequent transaction and once in a while visit them.

I guess canadian PR and US PR are parallel Neither of them care about other process - Not my experience though.. just second hand info...

tombaan, can you please point me to the webpage where it
says that applying for US green card is a sign you are
abondoning the canadian PR or vice versa.