Is it OK for me to apply for the H4 visa?

peaceinheart

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
I ever asked some questions here regarding the renewal of my I-20 with AOS status. Because I missed the deadline for renewing my I-20, now I've updated my status from F1 to "pending" in university's computer system. But the problem is if I couldn't get the approval of my I-485, I'll lose my status. So, I'm thinking to apply for an H4 visa based on my wife who is working with H1B visa. I heard that H type visa is dual-pupose visa,which means you can keep your H status and pending status concurrently. Is there anybody here who has similar expierence? Pls give some advices and great thanks in advance.

You're right about dual purpose of H visa. The only problem of H4 is that you won't be able to work, but study is not a problem.

what if i have the EAD

hi garun,
Thanks for your reply. I know that with H4 I couldn't work. But if I had the EAD, can I be employed as a full time worker? So far, my status is pending (AOS). The officer in the international student office said that I didn't need to follow the rules for F1 student, with which I just could work as a half-time RA/TA and must register a fixed number of units for keeping my full F1 status. Right now, I just registered one unit for keeping my student status (not F1) and I'm hoping I could be employed as an RA/TA again when I got my EAD later. So, is there any confliction between my future H4 visa and my RA/TA position when I have my EAD? Please give me some further advices. Great thanks again.