rosu

Hi all,

Right now I am in H4 status finishing my undergraduate program. I am
thinking of joining a graduate program in spring\'03. For the graduate
program, I am thinking of applying for an assistantship. However, I know
that I cannot have it unless I have an independent visa status (F1). So my
question is whether it\'s possible for me to get a F1 visa easily in spite of
being having an H4. Shall I apply for F1 in my home country? And if my
petition get denied, is it possible for me to apply for H4 to enter the US?

Thanks in advance.

H4 to F1

Better change your H4 to F1.
You need following evidences.
1.Why do you need to conver H4 to F1. Still you can study on H4. If you tell the actual reason of applying assistant ship your chances are remote.
Forget, going back to home county and getting F1. Some times you may not return to US.
2.Financial evidence, your sponser has to show 4 month current bank statement, w2, tax returns and (I 134) affidavit to support you for the entire period of education. Letter from bank is unacceptable by INS.
3.Some time, Evidence of going back to home country afterstudies.

You need a expert attorney to file your F1 conversion.

H4 problem due to previous application to citizenship?

Hi,

My wife will be facing for H4 visa soon.

But several years ago her sister(who is a US citizen already) applied for her immigration and now she has some kind of restriction that she cannot enter USA before that gets approved.

We are planning to put yes on the Visa applicaiton form in the field where it asks if someone already applied for you (honesty is the best ....:)

Can anybody suggest if the situation might result in a denial? I am guessing no, because she is not coming to her sister. Please comment.

Thanks,
-Mozumder

Should be fine.

H class visa applicants may have immigration intent. You won\'t be denied because of pending immigration case.

It is easy to switch to F1 from H4.

It is very easy to switch to H4 from F1. No questions asked. Just approach Interntional Student Office in your educational institution and they will do the needful.

Is it easy to convert from H4 to F1

Hi,
I am on a H4 visa now & I have applied for my Graduate studies.I have got an assistanceship also but have to convert to an F1 to work.Does anybody have any idea if it is easy to convert to an F1 from H4?Since my husband is also working here,what document can I show as evidence to return to my home country after I finish studying?Is it safe to apply for an F1 in India?Suppose if the F1 gets rejected will I still be able to return in my H4?
Thank you
Uma

some info that might help

CHANGE OF STATUS FROM H-4 TO F-1

A change of status from H-4 to F-1 may be requested when the applicant can no longer maintain valid H-4 status because the H-1 principal alien has discontinued employment, or because the H-4 applicant is the child of an H-1 principal alien and has reached his/her 21st birthday. It may also be requested if the H-4 has been admitted to an academic degree program and intends to be a full time student and could benefit academically from being eligible to accept on-campus employment.

The documents which need to be submitted to INS to apply for a change to F-1 status are:

Form I-539, application for change of non-immigrant status.
  Form I-20AB with item 11 completed by the student.
  Copy of both sides of Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure card in passport.)
  Evidence of financial support. It is necessary to show that the applicant has sufficient funds to support his/her studies for at least the first year and to show the source of income for subsequent years.
  Letter from employer of the H-1 principal alien indicating that the H-1 is currently employed, or, if applicable, the reason and date of departure from employment.
  Check or money order for $120.00, made payable to INS.
  Form I-797, approval of H-1 status.
  Passport identity pages of both the H-1 and H-4.
  Visas of both the H-1 and H-4.

Processing will take a minimum of two months and students will be notified when their documents have been returned.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ON-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY BEGINS UPON RECEIPT OF THE APPROVED CHANGE OF STATUS. IF YOU LEAVE THE U.S. AND INTEND TO REENTER IN F-1 STATUS, YOU MUST REQUEST AN F-1 VISA AT A U.S. EMBASSY OR CONSULATE BEFORE YOU RETURN.

Thanks ...

Hi friends,

I am a new member to this forum. I am also going to apply for COS from H4 to F1 in the next week. I really found his info very
useful. I am also getting very nervous as I can see that many people are getting queries ...

Thanks once again ..