is it dangerous to renew my visa J1?

thot

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask you a question. Here is the story:

I am a postdoc researcher in a Californian University, working since last February.

I am just about to come back to my home country for vacations.
I have currently a visa J1 valid until the 31st of January.
I was planning to come back to the US before this deadline.

My contract with the university has been renewed, and I asked the Human Ressources to give me a new IAP66.
The officer of the HR told me I would like me not to apply for the renewal of my visa stamp when I will be in France, and to come back before the end of my former stamp.

He pretended that it could take 3 months to be renewed because the embassy is able to transfer my case to Washington DC for inquiry. They are told to not taking responsabilities for certain kind of jobs.
During this time I could be stuck in France.

The thing is I will be blocked in USA as soon as I come back. This is very inconvenient, and I really want to be able to go to conferences, etc...

I would like to know if anyone has heard about it. Thank you for your help and have an Happy Christmas!

Thomas

This is for all non-immigrant visas including J-1, F-1, H-1B, etc.. Embassy sends cable to the US department of state regarding background check of the applicant and a friend of mine from Romania was stuck for three months in Romania until his background check was over.

However, nothing happened to a similar more recent case of my Turkish colleague. So better to inquire at your nearest US consulate and ask how long it might take for you to get J-1 visa stamp. If it is issued the same (or next) day, you may appear for visa interview. I have read about differences in procedures at various US consulates - may be the US consulate in your area does not have long delays. So inquire there and then decide.

I guess you have got a good advisor in the international office who thinks in the best interest of students/researchers.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

apply for advance portal, before you go anywhere. One of the reasons that certain non-immigrants have so many problems returning is because they do not file advance portal.

This allows you to return to the U.S. in your same visa status
there are time limitations as to how long you can remain on advance portal and you must be sure to follow the return date information.

About advance parole.....

I guess "advance parole (AP)" is NOT granted to non-immigrant visa holders (like J-1) unless humanitarian urgencies. Typically, asylum seekers or other adjustment of status applicants whose immigration petition is approved and their I-485 petition is pending with the INS, are granted advance parole (if they file petition I-765). Correct me if I am wrong.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.