is INS' case status online working?

I am not sure. But mine keeps saying that the 'receipt number not found' even though I know it is correct and is being processed.

Not sure if it gets removed from the database once the case gets moved from the Service Centre to Local Offices.

Originally posted by pink_ufo2002
hi guys,
do you have good experiences with INS' case status online site?
https://egov.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/cris/jsps/caseStat.jsp

Does it report the update status regularly?

my experience is that it works for the number i am entering in terms of showing the same information in the letter they sent out once they received the application (the receipt number for the case i have is june 22). however, while i was trying around the ESC numbers, i found out for N400 cases, there are a lots of them with the receipt date way back to november 30 2001 still under processing...and the information is like:
=============================
N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was received on November 30, 2001. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 240 and 300 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.
================================
i mean from last november till now more than 300 days passed...the case is still pending without info about finger print and interview?

my experience is that it works for the number i am entering in terms of showing the same information in the letter they sent out once they received the application (the receipt number for the case i have is june 22). however, while i was trying around the ESC numbers, i found out for N400 cases, there are a lots of them with the receipt date way back to november 30 2001 still under processing...and the information is like:
=============================
N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was received on November 30, 2001. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 240 and 300 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.
================================
i mean from last november till now more than 300 days passed...the case is still pending without info about finger print and interview?

Even though I have finished my FP and Interview, it still does not find my receipt number. Don't know what's going on.

The 13-character application receipt number can be found on application notices you have received from the INS.

For N400, it should start with ESC*

try and let me know if it works

btw: this should be the number you used to check the status by phone

The 13-character application receipt number can be found on application notices you have received from the INS.

For N400, it should start with ESC*

try and let me know if it works

btw: this should be the number you used to check the status by phone

My receipt number starts with a WSC and not an ESC.
Phone status checks were done with the A-number not the receipt number.

WSC should also work, i am not sure, just guessing WSC might be from different area, i am from east coast...

just guessing.

however, for WSC the waiting time might be 360 days instead of 240-300

Thats possible.

WSC for Western Service Centre
ESC for Eastern Service Centre

and so on..?

But maybe not all cases have been entered into the database yet (at least for the WSC).

WSC should also work, i am not sure, just guessing WSC might be from different area, i am from east coast...

just guessing.

however, for WSC the waiting time might be 360 days instead of 240-300

JoeF or anyone else that have knowledge about this...

Do you know why would certain application receipt numbers not be found in the database when checked via the online status webs ite ?

Even though my processing is going on my receipt number consistently is not found.

Originally posted by 03pilot
Thats possible.

WSC for Western Service Centre
ESC for Eastern Service Centre

and so on..?

But maybe not all cases have been entered into the database yet (at least for the WSC).

I have tried it many times but it "is not found" in their database even though the processing is going on.

sorry to hear about that, not sure why, anybody else has any experience (regardless of good or bad) with the case status online check?

Thanks for responding.

I have received my oath-ceremony letter since then. But the online site still says that it cannot find my case number. Weird.

Oh well.....

Until a couple of weeks ago, when I entered my ESC number in the online case status it said something like, "it takes 240 - 300 days....."

However recently it says the case not found. I was told by an INS rep on the phone that that the online status may not work, once the case is forwarded to the local office (in my case Newark, NJ).

I applied in March of this year (at the Vermont center). I got fingerprinted in July. Presently I am waiting for an interview. My understanding is that INS Vermont has done its part of the process and has forwarded it to Newark.

Any idea of how much longer it may take before I receive the interview date (contrary to the notice I received from Vermant, the rep on the phone suggested that it may take up to 14 months for cases sent to Newark).

Any recent experiences?

I am looking at a job possibility that will require citizenship. Any way the processing time could be cut under this scenario?

thanks for the information, my case was received by the INS in July and the fingerprint was done, now is waiting for the interview. (new york city)
i guess the on-line checking is not that reliable. that is kind of depressing...

btw: the responses given by the INS representatives might not be reliable either, you might have to call a couple times to get a consistent answer. i had the experience that with the same quesiton, i got two different answers from two different representatives...

N-400 processing time

I do not have either a WSC or a ESC number. Instead my receipt number starts with a LIN*xxxxxxxxxxxxx .Does anyone know the processing times for the Salt Lake City area?
Thanks in advance.