Is deleware a good place to live??

ric2

Registered Users (C)
Dear folks,

After getting my damn green card, I am thinking about where the best place to live is. I am so tired of NJ where there is nothing but crazy housing, crazy car insurance, bad traffic, rude people.

I am considering Delaware. It has no sales tax. The new house there prices around $200K (Northern NJ is about $600-700K, men!!). Furthermore, there are quite a few big pharm companies there which is excellent for my job and the salary is not low at all comparing to NJ.

Could anyone who has or had experience in DE make objective comments?

Thanks and best wishes in GC.

Old friend, RIC2

Hey buddy

I wonder that these new people don't know you, and that's why they don't care to reply. I suddenly came here and saw your post.

Couple of months back, in CNN CrossFire - Tucker and James were discussing that Delaware was the worst state in the US.

Options :

(1) If u go back to school, live in the campus of the best school you get.

(2) Is staying near the still surviving NY neighborhood bad ? Go to San Diego / Irvine, California --- I think the most beautiful place in the US.

DE is an ok place to stay. From what I understand, it has one of the highest cancer rate in the US because of all chemical companies(Dupont, Hercules etc).

If u'r into IT, it maynot be a good place since it has only a few employers(Bank One, MBNA, Dupont etc).

Coming to housing cost, yes they r not as coslty as NJ. BTW, did u try Southern Jersey. I have a friend who stays there and works in DE/PA. Infact, he was mentioning that his scope for job search covers(DE, Eastern-PA, NJ).

I would recommend that u stay in DE before u make a decision.

ric2:

Welcome back buddy.

Why don't u try my area which is DC metro area. Good schools, reasonable housing. I won't say cheap. 15yr old Single family home in my area costs 700K. But the life is not at all boring. Close to DC. Good transportation,good companies and roads.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
DE good place?

DE is oK place to live. It is tax free but if you want to buy international groceries etc they may be more expensive. Also not a lot of pharma companies there boston metro or San diago is better than DE

A lot of tigers wandering in Delaware!

So I would not suggest you be there. I think your NJ is much better (a garden state...)

Welcome back, buddy!

yeah, there is no sales tax, but the state income tax is high (6.5%). The houses in good school district are still 300k-400k. Do you want to come to AstraZeneca? Most people live in Pennsylvania side close to the state boder.

Good luck!

Originally posted by ric2
Dear folks,

After getting my damn green card, I am thinking about where the best place to live is. I am so tired of NJ where there is nothing but crazy housing, crazy car insurance, bad traffic, rude people.

I am considering Delaware. It has no sales tax. The new house there prices around $200K (Northern NJ is about $600-700K, men!!). Furthermore, there are quite a few big pharm companies there which is excellent for my job and the salary is not low at all comparing to NJ.

Could anyone who has or had experience in DE make objective comments?

Thanks and best wishes in GC.

Old friend, RIC2

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all old friends

Thanks all! Yeah, in DE there are couple of good pharm - astrazenace, aventis and a few small companies bought by Johnson and Johnson.

Who is aventis? DO u know where it is located and if they have any IT openings.
Also, What was the Johnson & Johnson subsidaries name?