Is asking for an Advisory Opinion shows an immigration intention?

Veggie3

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I'm an ex-Fulbrightee who is currently serving the 2YHRR (completed about 9 months so far). I'm considering taking a one-year job offer from a US university on a J-1 visa. It has no govt. funding and it's not on a skills list, so I'm almost sure it doesn't carry a 2YHRR. Yet I'd like to ask DOS for an advisory opinion; I'm not sure whether such a question would show an intention to immigrate (by the way, I realize that I'll have to return to my home country and serve the second year anyway).

Does anyone have any experience with that? Thanks in advance!!

Hi all,

I'm an ex-Fulbrightee who is currently serving the 2YHRR (completed about 9 months so far). I'm considering taking a one-year job offer from a US university on a J-1 visa. It has no govt. funding and it's not on a skills list, so I'm almost sure it doesn't carry a 2YHRR. Yet I'd like to ask DOS for an advisory opinion; I'm not sure whether such a question would show an intention to immigrate (by the way, I realize that I'll have to return to my home country and serve the second year anyway).

Does anyone have any experience with that? Thanks in advance!!

How you ask? Over the phone? No one can give you defenite answer because he/she do not know the answer and this will have no impact at all. Send a letter to DOS? this will be trashed on site and again no impact. Apply for advisory opinion as usual? yes, this is an immigration intent.