is arrange marriage acceptable?how soon to apply?

What are you talking in this date and time? World has gone far ahead to accept even gay marriages.
US immigration doesn't accept gay marriages.
Wake up and get drenched in to reality.
As long as marriage is bonafine(carries a marriage certificate from local competant authority), UCSIC wouldn't care if it is love-marriage, arranged-marriage, platonic marriage, hate-marriage, fighting marriage, dowry-marriage, donation-marriage, age difference marriage, old marriage, young marriage.
You need to wake up to reality. In the view of the US immigration authorities, a marriage certificate is usually not enough proof of a bona fide marriage. Many married people whose relationship history goes back for years still have to dig up extra documents and give a second interview in order to get approved.

The word "arranged" in OPs message may be misleading (or may be not) to some folks who do not come similar background. For the sake of clarity (and lessen confusion) OP (or his friend) better not use that word at the USCIS interview. Other terms people normally use to describe the situation is "introduced by friends at a party" or "introduced by family at an occasion" etc.

Anyway, coming to what constitutes marriage in USCIS view, read the meaning at dictionary.com or other places and you can correlate why USCIS looks for certain evidence. Below are some (not all).

Hint: Love is not one of them

1. Marriage Certificate - Obviously a marriage has to be 'witnessed' by local authority (tribe leaders, elders, council, court, etc) recognized by USCIS.

2. Living Together - Definition of marriage includes terms that describe couples living together, hence USCIS requires to show proof of such. You will see many posts in these forums where seemingly genuine marriage is questioned because the couple were living apart for variety of reasons.

3. Intimate Relationship - Again, there are many instances where USCIS questioned couples to establish they share intimate relationship. Questions varied from what side the bed (one bed) couples sleep to color of underwear. Having a child may further establish this.

4. Pooling (and sharing) common resources - USCIS asks for shared/common bankaccounts, lease documents, etc for this purpose

Note that any one of these on its own cannot stand. For example, individuals living together in an intimate relationship without marriage certificate (or equivalent) are not considered to be married and same goes to legally married couple who dont live together and share income/expenses/responsibilities.

I believe as long as these are satisfied, USCIS considers it acceptable. You decide if your friend and his/her future spouse fit the bill. And the couple can apply for immigration benefit as soon as they have enough evidence to satisfy above line of questioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
My last comment was directed at YOU as a SHE. I have no idea if you are a man or a woman, and I didn't want to call you an IT, so how would I know whether to call you a HE or SHE? Plus your wording in your original post sounds like its for a green card. Like I said "sounds".

The word "arranged" in OPs message may be misleading (or may be not) to some folks who do not come similar background. For the sake of clarity (and lessen confusion) OP (or his friend) better not use that word at the USCIS interview. Other terms people normally use to describe the situation is "introduced by friends at a party" or "introduced by family at an occasion" etc.
Yes, the choice of words may be creating the wrong impression. "Arranged" marriages are thought of as situations where the couple's families or communities match them with each other, and they go from never meeting each other to getting married with very little or no interaction before the wedding itself. But if the couple was introduced by family and then maintained a relationship for months or years before getting married, with frequent communication by phone/letters/email and/or they've been seeing each other frequently in person, that shouldn't be considered an arranged marriage and it shouldn't be spoken of as such in the interview or paperwork.

US immigration doesn't accept gay marriages.

You need to wake up to reality. In the view of the US immigration authorities, a marriage certificate is usually not enough proof of a bona fide marriage. Many married people whose relationship history goes back for years still have to dig up extra documents and give a second interview in order to get approved.

as long as it is bonafide marriage the personal choices of the people are immaterial. ( gay marriages would soon get there, world has accepted it so the law has to accommodate it too, it's just a matter of time) I think it is amply clear that many in the western world do not understand the meaning of arranged marriage. "Arranged" is not fake or manipulative marriage for Gc it is arranged by friends and families who know the couple. Any ways, this thread is just for entertainment value.

as long as it is bonafide marriage the personal choices of the people are immaterial. ( gay marriages would soon get there, world has accepted it so the law has to accommodate it too, it's just a matter of time) I think it is amply clear that many in the western world do not understand the meaning of arranged marriage. "Arranged" is not fake or manipulative marriage for Gc it is arranged by friends and families who know the couple. Any ways, this thread is just for entertainment value.
You're not getting the point that there is a difference between having a bona fide marriage and convincing USCIS that it is a bona fide marriage. The marriage described by the OP may indeed be bona fide, but the effort to convince the interviewers is going to be greater than average due to the ages of the individuals, because arranged marriages at that age are very rare.

You're not getting the point that there is a difference between having a bona fide marriage and convincing USCIS that it is a bona fide marriage. The marriage described by the OP may indeed be bona fide, but the effort to convince the interviewers is going to be greater than average due to the ages of the individuals, because arranged marriages at that age are very rare.

Maybe you are right. I have no first hand experience of the tension and anxiety to prove bonafide and good fxxxxxx marriage to USCIS as truly bonafide one. For outsiders like me in this case, "other's problems are always trivial". "Par Dukha sheetal". That tells how badly fake marriages have screwed up this system. I got it in the IIIrd attempt. :) It's better late than never.

MOM1211

Plus your wording in your original post sounds like its for a green card. Like I said "sounds".

I hope you dont view every thread made for (green card through marriage)
" sounds like for green card " or fake one thanks:p

Jackolantern

Yes, the choice of words may be creating the wrong impression. "Arranged" marriages are thought of as situations where the couple's families or communities match them with each other

both familes* are communicating and meeting up and couples liked each other i dont know if this should be arranged or something else both parties will join the wedding :)

thanks guys:)

I say it like it is. If you don't like it don't reply. I don't need some snotty reply when I was being honest. Considering MY marriage, which was not arranged, is how I got my green card, I rarely find threads to sound like it is only for green cards, unless it really come across that way. Just for reference, when someone says s marriage is arranged and how fast can they or should they apply for the green card, generally does sound like it's for the GC.

MOM1211
I don't need some snotty reply when I was being honest.

lolz Exactly Same here... i feel the sameway hope we are done:)

MOM1211
Just for reference, when someone says s marriage is arranged and how fast can they or should they apply for the green card, generally does sound like it's for the GC.

Think what everr u want:rolleyes:

For all the hoopla and general fear psychosis that is being spread about USCIS, does anyone on this entire forum has at least one sngle case of bonafide marriage with marriage certificate rejected by USCIS as an end result ?

I am seeing it as just an apprehension and fear of unoknown and basic insecurity about immigration to USA fueling this trend. I rest.