Is AOS still enforceable after sponsor officially withdraws sponsorship?

jonlouisville

Registered Users (C)
Background: I formally withdrew myself as sponsor of my then-wife with the federal BCIS in 2003 at time of legal separation, and prior to conditions being removed, due to her extra-marital affairs and apparent visa fraud that I was unaware of, and that began, I later found out, even prior to the marriage; BCIS was made aware of all of her actions, and provided with a lot of evidence. She applied for an I-751 by herself via a so-called immigration attorney following the separation (but before the divorce, so the application was improper and would have been summarily dismissed... so her lawyer obviously hadn't read that BCIS memo!); she had no grounds (ie. no police visits, no calls to 911, etc.) for the commonly-used final-resort "abuse" excuse fraudsters like to pull out of their back pocket.

She now seems to have fallen off the planet. I have no idea if her petition was approved (I have a copy of the INS receipt, so have the case number), she was ordered to leave, or went underground.

My questions:

Even with the sponsorship withdrawal (which occurred prior to conditions being removed from her "green card"), is she required to keep me updated on her current address?

Also, with this "withdrawal of sponsorship" prior to conditions being removed, is the Affidavit of Support still enforceable against me?

Finally, is the BCIS required to advise me of the outcome of her case (ie. is she still in the country?). If not, can it be obtained via a Freedom of Information Act petition?

I frankly don't like the draconian AOS hanging over my head, and if it's history, i will be able to sleep more peacefully for the next 5 years or so.

Thanks.

jonlouisville,

if you
"don't like the draconian AOS hanging over your head,
and want it to be history, so you can sleep more
peacefully for the next 5 years or so,
LEAVE HER TO HISTORY.

If you continue to send
inquiries and letters to BCIS, post
such things on the web, shuffle things from
past, try to find where she is, and so on,
she will have very good reasons to claim abuse....
and if meanwhile her GC was rejected, she will be
able to use that to reapply.
Is it what you want ?
Actually, you are helping her.

Better for you is to go about YOUR life,
whatever happend in the past, believe me.

Keep your head up even if she did
hurt you bad, and look for a very nice
new girlfriend and wife-to-be.
Look around: there are really plenty of very
nice women out there for you !

Forget her, good luck.

Thanks for the advice; in fact I have gone on with my life, and am engaged, which is the reason for seeking "closure." I'm posting this follow-up, as others are in a similar situation, according to other posts on this board.

Actually, I have had no contact with BCIS or her for about 2 years. I've not hired Magnum PI to find her, and don't plan to. Nothing I have done will help her case. Even my name and city have been changed on this board. :)

And I am now resting easy... an immigration attorney has advised me since I posted this that the feds have not enforced a single case of the AOS against a single sponsor. Plus, she (and her idiotic alleged immigration attorney) blew it big time when they filed the I-751 prior to the divorce being finalized; the application would be summarily dismissed, as it would have to be filed after the divorce.

And, according to that same attorney's advice, since I submitted extremely strong evidence that she married me solely for immigration status, and if she could not counter that evidence with stronger evidence that she did not, then any properly-submitted I-751 would be denied and it is likely that she would be placed in removal proceedings.

Last edited by a moderator: