Is A# still valid after naturalization ?

always_living

Registered Users (C)
I was browsing through the passport application form, and it asks for A# (alien registration no). I am wondering if the A# is still assigned to me (forever) after naturalization ?

DUhhh!!!
I post my passport appliaction today and didn;t mention my A# in it -:(
I didn't occur to me I could get it down form my naturalization certificate.

Any suggestion what should I do now?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry much. I think folks at the passport office would record it from your original naturalization certificate that you sent along with the passport application.

Born_American,

Thanks a lot.

My oath ceremony is scheduled on 12/06. During the interview, the immigration officer told me I can apply passport during the ceremony and gave me application forms.

Some posts in this forum suggest that don't apply passport during ceremory, instead, go home, make a copy and apply it at neighborhood postoffice.

What's your opinion on this ?

Born_American said:
I wouldn't worry much. I think folks at the passport office would record it from your original naturalization certificate that you sent along with the passport application.

always_living said:
Born_American,

Thanks a lot.

My oath ceremony is scheduled on 12/06. During the interview, the immigration officer told me I can apply passport during the ceremony and gave me application forms.

Some posts in this forum suggest that don't apply passport during ceremory, instead, go home, make a copy and apply it at neighborhood postoffice.

What's your opinion on this ?

also, some posts say it is illegal to make copy of your naturalization cert as it printed in RED on the cert too.

I did not apply my passport during the ceremory because i need to use the cert to get my name changed in SS, DL, bank.. etc etc.

Always_Living,

I applied for my passport at the ceremony itself. I know several people who made a copy of the certificate, which is illegal, and then applied at their neighborhood post office. No problems there either. But I'm not sure how making a copy of the certificate will help someone in the event of losing one's certificate as you would be in trouble if you produce a copy of the certificate to the law enforcement authorities for verification.

Born_American,

Thanks for the input.

How soon do you receive the passport ? The application form I got during interview says

"Routine Service: Receipt of passport within 6 weeks"
"Expedited Service: Receipt of passport within 2 weeks"

I cannot believe that they call it "expedited service" even though it takes twoooooo weeks.

always_living.

Born_American said:
Always_Living,

I applied for my passport at the ceremony itself. I know several people who made a copy of the certificate, which is illegal, and then applied at their neighborhood post office. No problems there either. But I'm not sure how making a copy of the certificate will help someone in the event of losing one's certificate as you would be in trouble if you produce a copy of the certificate to the law enforcement authorities for verification.

It is not ill-legal to make copies of the naturalization cert. I am filing I-130 for my wife and USCIS wants me to send a copy of the cert. They won't be asking me if it was ill-legal.

bobby350z said:
It is not ill-legal to make copies of the naturalization cert. I am filing I-130 for my wife and USCIS wants me to send a copy of the cert. They won't be asking me if it was ill-legal.

it is legal to make the copy if the offical gov't agency requests you to do so. however, it is illegal to make a copy without authoraization.