IRS will not issue tax transcripts at their local offices anymore!

thanickel

Registered Users (C)
I just found out that IRS will not print tax transcripts at their local offices. You have to call 1-800-TAX-1040 order it to be mailed to your address or talk to a rep to get it faxed immediately.

Thanickel:

I am not sure if IRS Local ever issued transcripts. My impression was that one could apply for IRS transcripts locally and they would come in the mail from Federal.

Or the better option as you suggested is to call 800-829-1040 as it takes only about 2 weeks to get it in mail.

I concur with kd.

I don't think IRS entertained the request at the local office. When I went few months back they had clear instructions to call the toll free number.

I got mine printed from local IRS office here in Dallas in Spetember 2003. I guess they discontinued both printing and accepting applications from Oct 1st or 31st 2003, which I am not sure.

Eralier you had to fill out Form 4506, now you need to fill that only if you are requesting a photocopy of the original tax return. New fee for Photocopy is $39 (increased from $23)

I was always under the impression tax transcripts upto 3 years are freely available and I got them free twice since first time I misplaced them!

kd,

thannickel is talking about the photocopy of original returns you filed. They still charge for that (on the phone).

The transcripts are free. I just ordered mine 2 wks. back and got it.

alren, thanickel:

Just out of curiosity why would one want to carry photcopies of the originals mailed by IRS (for a certain fee) for the CP interview when IRS provided Tax transcripts are available for Free?

Am I missing something? Or are people having more money so that they can spend on photocopies? Whether it is CP interview or a Tax audit IRS tax transcripts are good enough!

For GC and most cases you don't need a photocopy of the return. As the number of E-files are increasing year by year there is nothing to photocopy anymore anyway!

Consider the following scenario ...

You paper filed your return and forgot to keep a copy of the original return.

IRS clerk entered the numbers to their system and made a mistake while doing it.

If you get a transcript at this point you will get the one with errors, even to get it corrected you might need a copy of the return submitted with the correction request.

thanickel:

We are living in the world of technology....our hand entered IRS Tax return forms are NOT manually entered by IRS clerks. They are SANNED in by high performance scanners and hence always correct!

Anyway..i think this is an individual choice to pay and get photocopy of tax returns!