IRS Non-Filer question for N-400

tabaliya

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
I'm in the process of compiling all the info for filing for my mother's citizenship (N400) application with the USCIS very soon.

She is from India and has little to no income here in the USA and is therefore below the threshold for filing taxes. Hence she has never had to file US tax returns. In the application what should she say about "Have you ever failed to file US Taxes"? All her income is interests earned from savings and investments in India which doesn't cross the threshold for filing individual income taxes. And I do not claim her as a dependent on my tax returns either - this enables her to get some god medical benefits here in MN.

For the same reason she doesn't have tax transcripts with the IRS.

Any advice would be appreciated.

She should answer yes, that she has not filed. It will ask for an explanation and you (she) can explain that she did not make enough income to file. (Many LPRs file regardless just to show that they have filed even if they don’t make the income threshold, but this is hindsight for your case.)

My confusion is that that's not a "failure to file". Form 1040 clearly says no need to file if you have income less than $14050 for a single filer over 65 years of age. Does that constitute a "failure to file"?

My confusion is that that's not a "failure to file". Form 1040 clearly says no need to file if you have income less than $14050 for a single filer over 65 years of age. Does that constitute a "failure to file"?
What form are you looking at that references a “failure” to file? The N400 form I see online says “Have you ever not filed a federal, state or local tax return since you became a lawful permanent resident?” It’s clearly a ”yes” answer to this question as phrased.