Irishman wants to change status from L1-A to ???

con99

Hello

I am an Irish citizen who moved here 06/02 on a L1-A intra-company visa. My employment was terminated due to downsizing and I am keen to stay in the country. I am well educated and have 3 US based companies that want to hire me on a consultancy basis. My plan is as follows :

Return to Ireland and set up a company.
Return on a business visa and invoice my US based clients from my Irish Company.

In order to do this I need to change my visa status from L1-A to a B-1 or E1 or E2.

My question is as follows : What is the best way to do this without leaving the US ? If I must leave the US do I have to go back to Ireland or can I save money and time by going to MEXICO?

I appreciate any advice…

thanks in advance

bzuccaro,

Thank you for the quick response. H1-B's will not be available until october and applications are due in April. I am also looking into that as a option.

I am aware that I am out of status on my L1-A and need to leave the US before my 180 days or I risk a bar on re-entry. I am currently 138 days out of status. If I decide to go to Mexico what is the process?

Must I visit a USICS office and inform them I am leaving the country so they know I am under 180 day rule ? If I decide to to Mexico, must I go to the Mexican embassey and request that I visit the country before I enter and then return to the US on a new I 94 card ?

I do not want to violate the 180 day rule, but if I can do this via a 5 hour drive to Mexico and then re-enter it will save me some time and money.

Thanking you in advance...

Trevor