Invite parents from India

sunny1971

Registered Users (C)
HI friends, I need your help with one question that i have on my mind:
I intend to invite my parents for a couple of months. I am on a J2 visa. Can a J2 visa holder invite his parents or does the J1 only have this authority. Because I read somewhere that J2 cannot use his /her earnings to support the family etc..

I await your response

If your parents can overcome 214(b) at their visa interview, your visa status will hold no relevance. Contrary to popular belief, applicants for B-1/2 visas do not need sponsors or invitations from US based friends or relatives to qualify. Applicants for B-1/2 visas can have a desire to visit the US just to see Disneyland for example. In my personal opinion (and please consider it an opinion only), having friends and relatives in the US actually hurts majority of South Asian applicants. Reason being that interviewing consuls are aware of local traditions and culture. It is more likely for South Asians to overstay their B-1/2 visas if they have friends and relatives in the US.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Ghori. However, you have only commented about B1/2 visas, whereas I had asked about J2 visa. I presume it might be the same for this visa too. Is this correct?

I am aware of you having J-2 status. Your folks will need a B-2 visa to come and visit you. The above post takes care of what they need to overcome in order to obtain a B-2 visa.