Investment for $25,000

Thanks for the response …..

Thanks for the response …..
Buy a Home ??I don’t know….people are saying that the real estates rates are gone up ..the next after stock market could be real estates…but who knows.

WaitinNJ

WaitinNJ:
You are quite right about the stocks you've mentioned in your post. However, there are over 5000 scrips out there on which you can gamble. If you choose wisely, you will not be disappointed. Consider this: If you'd bought Boeing back in Sept 2001 when the exchanges opened after 9/11, you will be sitting on more than a 20% gain as of today.

Originally posted by waitinNJ
WheresMahGreen

Are you talking about stocks or mutual funds,Stocks can not be trusted anymore even if bargain, see all these scandles and fuzzing the data. How do you trust them.

The problem is - It you think it is the bottom, it turns out it is not.
And I bought the stocks of only well doing ones of past. they are all same -
Lucent Nortel Cisco Oracle Sun AT&T the list is huge...

Again, as I can not keep-up with day to day updates so stocks are out of my reach.

My 2 cents too :)

Hey Just my opinion, pretty overall, not really answering the original question though (sorry!)

- Stocks - invest only for 5-10 years horizon, do not invest money you'd need earlier than that

- Start with an Index Fund, don't consider otherwise "actively' managed funds. Vanguard's VFINX is a good place to start

- Have a "Cash Stash" for emergencies (My idea is to have 3-6 months of your monthly salary)

- Start investing for your retirement early, regular monthly contributions (regardless of how small they are) work the best.
Make Use of 401k, Roth IRAs
Since retirement if FAR away for me, I invest 100% in stocks, since historically Stocks give the best returns (see my first point abive though)

- Buy a home, but in my opinion u should only do so, if you expect to live there about 5 years or more.

- If you have kids, save for their college, u can consider various 529 plans (can't say much, got no kids as of yet)

U can checkout www.fool.com for more info

180daysguy

You said you haven't heard a single national bank failing as of today - but I have heard a lots of national banks failing in developing countries like Russia(earlier USSR etc) and others. Anybody pl correct me if I am wrong.
I had gone in person to a CA SBI branch and asked about the insurance for the deposited, simply the managers shied away saying anything. They said don't worry the "deposits" are pretty safe. I don't know what they meant by 'safe'!! But they didn't say anything about any insurance. I have asked 2 different mgrs at two diff types. So I decided to hold on until I hear something concrete. I know the RIB bonds are safe which is guaranteed by the Indian govt.
I may sound like a sceptic - but it looks like in case something happens no body is responsible for the total deposit insurance. I know probability of this happening may be .000001.

always have 6 months expenses in cash. After that put your money in an index fund is a good idea actually or wherever you want.
Remember you need to earn atleast 3.5% for inflation or atleast 7-8% to get a good return for your investment.

How safer it is to put money in SBI FCNR account

I am thinking of putting money in SBI FCNR account, how safer is it to go with fcnr account at state bank of india.

How is their customer service, It is my hard earned money which I want to keep for my future living in case I had to take divorce from my husband.

Please help me, which bank is the best bank in india to put fixed deposit.
And also what type of account I should go for FCNR/NRO fixed / any other account you know is good. Please some one help me.