Interview Today at Chicago DO

Chirl

Registered Users (C)
I just got back from my interview which I passed.

My appointment was for 11.05 am. I arrived at 10.30 am. I was directed to the third floor where a woman behind glass took my letter. She looked up my information, gave me back my letter and told me to wait in waiting area 2. Basically it was one large room with seats half of which were called area 1 and the other area 2. I was called shortly after 11.30 am.

The man was an older black gentleman with a heavy accent. He was very friendly and put me at ease right away. He asked for the normal documents - birth cert, passport, driver's license and green card. He then took had me swear to tell the truth.

I was asked to write "The Persident lives in the White House", to read "People come to America for freedom".

He asked me six questions which I got right:
1. What color are the stripes on our flag?
2. What group has the power to declare war?
3. What is the capital of Springfield?
4. Name some countries that were our enemies in WWII.
5. What is the minimum voting age in the U.S.?
6. Where is the White House located?

At least I think they were them - it went by SO quick.

He didn't ask to see anything else. I was surprised. I'd been asked to bring my children's birth certs on the yellow letter, and I asked him and he said it was fine. He just kept asking and ticking. Then he handed me my "Congratulations" letter and said to expect an oath date within the next 3-4 weeks.
:)

Yay! Yours sounds equally as straight forward as mine!

Thank you for posting your questions... I find that part interesting. After my interview though, I realized why people often didn't post them; it's hard to remember them!

My lady apologized to me after making me take the English portion. I went to high school here, so that part was pretty straight forward for me. My written was "Citizens have the right to vote" and verbal was "There are fifty states in America". ;)

Did your interviewer chat about anything else? Mine chatted about NY (her home state), the stock market (her husband likes to "gamble" on it), and how quickly my application was moving (similar to yours!).

Hope you get your letter soon! This may be the worst part. So close...

Just to give you 2 a quick idea. One of my friends in Chicago got his oath letter exactly 3 weeks after his interview. Keep in mind, this was back in 2006. Hopefully you guys will be done either by end of this month or by early Nov.
Keep us posted.

Arisu -He didn't chat about much. Just joked a bit about if I was a criminal kind of thing. And if I was married - he looked at my hands for a ring, but he was kidding. I commented on missing the voting deadline etc. Also, I'm Irish so English is my native (well first) language too. It's kind of funny being asked to read and write simple sentences.

Atlanta Brother - I think its generally still around 3 weeks, but I have a friend who got his 2 days later a couple of months ago!!! They just happend to have open oath slots they were trying to fill. I'm hoping I'll have something else to be thankful for by Thanksgiving!

Chirl,
Congratulations!
Did you see people with children in the waiting area.
Are we allowed to take our cell phones into the building.
How long did the interview last.
Did you ask if you could get oath sometime this month.

Please let me know.

BTW, ;)
I hope you spelled correctly when writing out.

"The Persident lives in the White House"

Persident - oops!!! Yeah - a few people had their children, and you are allowed bring cell phones, just not use them, but the security gaurd said we could use them in the bathrooms. I wish I'd known because I didn't bring mine and couldn't call anyone til I got back to work. I didn't ask about the oath. the interview was about 15 mins

Arisu -He didn't chat about much. Just joked a bit about if I was a criminal kind of thing. And if I was married - he looked at my hands for a ring, but he was kidding. I commented on missing the voting deadline etc. Also, I'm Irish so English is my native (well first) language too. It's kind of funny being asked to read and write simple sentences.

Atlanta Brother - I think its generally still around 3 weeks, but I have a friend who got his 2 days later a couple of months ago!!! They just happend to have open oath slots they were trying to fill. I'm hoping I'll have something else to be thankful for by Thanksgiving!

Irish! Very cool; I'm from Canada (western side), so I don't even have a distinguishable accent anymore! I used to boast I was bilingual too, but my French is a blurry memory now... Regardless she teased me for not studying the English portion. ;)

Any news for you? I checked my mail yesterday, not even a junk ad! Thirteen days and counting...