Interview this week: Married name on N-400 & maiden name on GC

smariner

Registered Users (C)
My wife & I are scheduled for the naturalization interview this week. My wife's married name is on the N-400 application & all other documents (current DL, passport, SSN, bank statement, etc, etc) -- except on the Green Card. Will this be an issue? Any specific/documents that she should be prepared for/with?

My wife & I are scheduled for the naturalization interview this week. My wife's married name is on the N-400 application & all other documents (current DL, passport, SSN, bank statement, etc, etc) -- except on the Green Card. Will this be an issue? Any specific/documents that she should be prepared for/with?

Did she go through the legal name change process? If yes, carry that document with her to the interview and also an updated N-400 form with the maiden name on it, just in case and let the officer know first thing.

If she didn't go through the legal name change process, then she can still fill out N-400 with maiden name and say on the form where it asks that she wants to change name and put in the married name there and let the officer know first thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did she go through the legal name change process? If yes, carry that document with her to the interview and also an updated N-400 form with the maiden name on it, just in case and let the officer know first thing.

If she didn't go through the legal name change process, then she can still fill out N-400 with maiden name and say on the form where it asks that she wants to change name and put in the married name there and let the officer know first thing.

She went through a name change process with the Indian consulate (to get an updated passport). There's not much documentation from this process, except a notarized copy of a letter from both of us.

She went through a name change process with the Indian consulate (to get an updated passport). There's not much documentation from this process, except a notarized copy of a letter from both of us.

She needs to decide which name to be kept either passport or Green Card name. A notarized copy of letter may be good for Indian Passport but not for US passport name change. She needs to get a decree changing name from a US court.

Did she write her maiden name in the "other names used" section of the N-400, or at least in the "name exactly as printed on the green card" section? If not, they will redo her name check after the interview, delaying the case by weeks or months.

If your wife's married name is the same as your last name, the USCIS officer will often be satisfied with the marriage certificate as being sufficient evidence of her name change.

Thanks for all the responses.

Did she write her maiden name in the "other names used" section of the N-400, or at least in the "name exactly as printed on the green card" section? If not, they will redo her name check after the interview, delaying the case by weeks or months.

She intends to keep the married name on her US Passport. And yes, she wrote the maiden name in the other-name & GC-name fields.