Interview Questions

CSC_AOS

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone say from experience that studying the 100 questions on the USCIS site was not enough? I have read the threads were people indicated that it is better to know more than less but i am interested to hear from folks who went thru the process and if they would recommend that we do more than just studying the 100 questions.

Thanks a bunch...

CSC_AOS said:
Can anyone say from experience that studying the 100 questions on the USCIS site was not enough? I have read the threads were people indicated that it is better to know more than less but i am interested to hear from folks who went thru the process and if they would recommend that we do more than just studying the 100 questions.

Thanks a bunch...

The questions come from the 100 listed. Nothing outside that. The interviewing officer usually stops if you throw the first 3 or 4 answers out with confidence.
I haven't heard of an interviewer asking obscure questions like .." name the original signatories to the Declaration of Independence" etc.

All questions are from the set of 100.
1. Know your Governor
2. Your Senators
3. Who has power to declare war
4. etc etc

I believe they are restricted to the list.

I also believe that the rationale for the list was to try and introduce consistency to the process and reduce the likelihood of discrimination (for example, the immigration officer doesn't like your face/color/shoe color so he asks overly complicated questions).

However, the result is the watered-down list of questions that exists (and that's been proposed - see another thread today for the link).

kblacwell said:
The interviewing officer usually stops if you throw the first 3 or 4 answers out with confidence.

You need to correctly answer 6 out of 10 possible, and the officer will stop asking as soon as you meet the pass criteria. The questions are selected by computer from the pool, which is generally considered to be the same as the "100 question" list being discussed. (I think there may actually be slightly fewer than 100 possibilities as some questions are apparently considered "too hard".)

Of course, all this will change when USCIS roll out their new test.

Well the questions will all depend on where you live now and if you are one of the test cities for the new interview process. Got this from another immigration board.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1117/p03s02-ussc.html

I'm lucky where I live I won't be one of the test cities, so it'll be from the 100 or so questions. If you do live in one of the test cities, I'm not sure what the hell you'll need to study...

But, as I understand it, that will be a "voluntary" process (they'll ask you if you want to take the old or the new test). I also think that you may get a chance to take the old test if you blow the new one.

In either case, it's a small number of questions picked from a reasonably small (96 or 144) that you can study.

I just heard it was voluntary for the INS in those cities to participate meaning you wouldn't get a choice, they have a choice to administer it to you. Yes, it seems if you did fail it, you'd get another interview date where you could take the old test. I'm just curious hearing what types of things that are on that test as where I live it's not one of those cities participating...

boatbod said:
You need to correctly answer 6 out of 10 possible, and the officer will stop asking as soon as you meet the pass criteria. The questions are selected by computer from the pool, which is generally considered to be the same as the "100 question" list being discussed. (I think there may actually be slightly fewer than 100 possibilities as some questions are apparently considered "too hard".)

Of course, all this will change when USCIS roll out their new test.

I answered 4 questions:

1. When is Independence Day
2. What country was independence gained from
3. Who has power to declare war
4. Name your two state senators

It all depends on you, the IO , luck , how you speak, demeanor, etc etc. They don't follow the rules rigidly if there is nothing to throw up a red flag. Read the post of the person who posted under another thread, claims he has lived here for 20 years and cannot write a simple correct sentence in English, don't you think that guy will throw flags...