interview question

chinnaseenu

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I Came to US on H1 and then got employment based green card and now i'm 38yr old.
I received interview letter today and documents asked for are as folows:

Green card
Selective Service Registration
Passport

I'm not sure about 'Service Registration document'. could some one please
explain me about this. is this some thing needs to worry about it.

priority date: june 19,2009
FP july 18,2009 (as per schedule)
IL: 08/05/2009
ID: 09/10/09

Hi,
I Came to US on H1 and then got employment based green card and now i'm 38yr old.
I received interview letter today and documents asked for are as folows:

Green card
Selective Service Registration
Passport

I'm not sure about 'Service Registration document'. could some one please
explain me about this. is this some thing needs to worry about it.

priority date: june 19,2009
FP july 18,2009 (as per schedule)
IL: 08/05/2009
ID: 09/10/09

Question: How old were you when you got a green card? If you got a green card below 26, you are supposed to get a SS.

If you are a green card holder, US citizen, undocumented alien, or out-of-status person AND you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. see https://www.sss.gov/Default.htm

if you are on non-immigrant visa (H1, F1, etc) AND you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then don't worry about it (you are not required to register).

Also, since you are 38 years old now, don't worry about it.

Thank you USGC.
I came to US in 2000 on H1 and i was 28yrs old. I got my GC in 2004 and my age was 33yrs old.
my wife also got the IL with same documents list. She came to US on H4(dependent visa) in 2000 and she was 23yrs old. and when she got GC in 2004 she was 27 yrs old.
do we need this 'Selective Service Registration' document?

Thanks in Advance.
Sreeni

Thank you USGC.
I came to US in 2000 on H1 and i was 28yrs old. I got my GC in 2004 and my age was 33yrs old.
my wife also got the IL with same documents list. She came to US on H4(dependent visa) in 2000 and she was 23yrs old. and when she got GC in 2004 she was 27 yrs old.
do we need this 'Selective Service Registration' document?

Thanks in Advance.
Sreeni

No, you don't need ss letter/document at all. You are now 38 years old. Immigration system has your information of entering USA. That interview letter is standard letter for everyone. You can show your H1 documents or H1 visa and entry stamp to the Interview Officer (IO) as a part of proof.

For your wife, she doesn't need it at all because she is female. Only men (US citizens or green card holder or illegal aliens, or out of status aliens between 18 and 25) are required to register. So you were on H1 that doesn't require you to register SS.

You don't need anything as it is clear that you entered on H1 visa (that too after 26 yrs. age) and also at the time of GC - you were 33 yrs.

If you request for SS letter from SSO, it takes 2 months to get the status letter. You may not (and will not get) by your interview.

thank you all very much for the info.
I have interview in Mt.Laurel DO,NJ. does Interview and Oath would be same day or Do i get Oath letter after Interview?

Thank you
Sreeni

I have interview in Mt.Laurel DO,NJ. does Interview and Oath would be same day or Do i get Oath letter after Interview?

Thank you
Sreeni

I depends on the DO (whether they are doing oath the day you have interview) and your interview time. Usually you get same day oath if your interiew is before 2 pm.

Thank you
Sreeni

Yes,interview and oath would be same day if everything goes good.See post by TOONARMY of aug 5 2009 on APR-JULY 2009 Trackers in citizenship forum.

Good luck.

Thank you
Sreeni

The IO will tell you during the interview. It depends on IO's decision.