Interview passed...question on "name" on Oath lettter.

veeru71

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview in Boston yesterday.
It was fairly simple. All the 10 questions were from standard list of 100.
Then, the officer asked me write "it is a sunny day" on a piece of paper.
Afterwards, I was given the oath letter for 1/25/06 (yes, 3 months wait).
The interview took about 10 mins (+40 mins waiting time).

After I came back home, I noticed that on the oath letter, my name is
showing up as "FFFFFFFF M LLLLLLLLL". I actually printed my full middle
name in all the name fields on the N-400 form and I would like to have my
full middle name (not just the initial) on the natz cert.

My question is - does the name on natz cert look exactly like the name on oath letter ? If so, can I request for the correction at the oath ceremony ?
Can you please post your experiences ?

Thanks.
======================
My timeline
Priority date : June last week'05
FP : Aug last week
Interview : 10/28
Oath : 1/25/06

Congratulations on passing your interview!!!

Until the day of your oath ceremony, your new name is not official. I filled in the name change section on my N-400. My name remained the same, except that I added a middle name. At the interview, I had to sign various documents with my old and new name, and signed the photos with my new name. The letter I received for the oath ceremony was addressed to my old name. At the oath ceremony, the naturalization certificate and name change court form were in my new name. So don't worry; everything should be fine. Just make sure to examine the forms closely at the oath ceremony to make sure the natz. certificate and name change document are in your new name.

At my ceremony, there was one person who noticed that their name was incorrect on their certificate. They were very worried, but by the time of the ceremony, the error had been corrected.

Thanks homeschoolmum!!

Actually, I didn't apply for any name change.
For some reason, they had simply printed my middle initial instead of
printing the full middle name on the oath letter. I wrote my full middle
name in the column-1 (legal name) on N-400.

My question is - the name on naturallization certificate reflects the
"legal name" on N-400 (that is what I wanted) OR the name on the
oath letter ?

Reading your post again, you didn't mention anything about changing your name. (my mistake!) I'm sorry! :eek:

The name on your naturalization certificate will be the legal name on your N-400. The only way it would be anything else, is if you opted to change your name. (which you didn't.) So the name on your certificate should be your full name, not abbreviated. As I said, just examine the certificate carefully, to make sure there are no errors.

Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
Veeru71~

Congatulations. Dont you worry. When you received your Naturalization certificate your middle name is complete. Most of the certificate have the full name, full middle name and last name. So i think you are okay, but tis info is based on my experience, and I have seen my friends certificate as well and they are written they way you wanted it.

abs

verru71, congratulations on passing your interview. i have a similar question tho i'm not as far ahead as veeru71 is: in my full legal name, my middle name is spelled out. so that's what i specified on first part of the N-400. now, the second part, it asked how is your name listed on your GC. they asked you to write exactly how it appears on the GC. on my GC, it's only my middle initial because on the application form, it asked for MI (middle initial) and not full middle name. so i wrote on the second part of my N-400 exactly how it appears on my GC (with just my middle initial). i didn't opt for name change as well. when i received my PD letter, my middle name is spelled out. so are they considering my name with the spelled out middle name as my LEGAL NAME and that's what my Naturalization Certificate will say eventhough that's not what i have on my GC (which is just my middle initial)?

veeru71 said:
I had my interview in Boston yesterday.
It was fairly simple. All the 10 questions were from standard list of 100.
Then, the officer asked me write "it is a sunny day" on a piece of paper.
Afterwards, I was given the oath letter for 1/25/06 (yes, 3 months wait).
The interview took about 10 mins (+40 mins waiting time).

After I came back home, I noticed that on the oath letter, my name is
showing up as "FFFFFFFF M LLLLLLLLL". I actually printed my full middle
name in all the name fields on the N-400 form and I would like to have my
full middle name (not just the initial) on the natz cert.

My question is - does the name on natz cert look exactly like the name on oath letter ? If so, can I request for the correction at the oath ceremony ?
Can you please post your experiences ?

Thanks.
======================
My timeline
Priority date : June last week'05
FP : Aug last week
Interview : 10/28
Oath : 1/25/06

Your naturalization certificate will have your full name spelled out. Don't worry, you will have a chance to review the certificate before the oath ceremony.

ateganda29 said:
verru71, congratulations on passing your interview. i have a similar question tho i'm not as far ahead as veeru71 is: in my full legal name, my middle name is spelled out. so that's what i specified on first part of the N-400. now, the second part, it asked how is your name listed on your GC. they asked you to write exactly how it appears on the GC. on my GC, it's only my middle initial because on the application form, it asked for MI (middle initial) and not full middle name. so i wrote on the second part of my N-400 exactly how it appears on my GC (with just my middle initial). i didn't opt for name change as well. when i received my PD letter, my middle name is spelled out. so are they considering my name with the spelled out middle name as my LEGAL NAME and that's what my Naturalization Certificate will say eventhough that's not what i have on my GC (which is just my middle initial)?

the full legal name on your gc should be on the bottom. check it out to see if your middle name is fully spelled out.

on my gc, it said on "Name" as "FIRST-full, Middle-Init, LAST-full". However, in the bottom of the gc, it listed as LAST-FULL<<FIRST-FULL<<MIDDLE-FULL (or something like that, but all my first, last, and middle names were fully spelled out).

Thanks every one for your responses.
If there is any mistake in the name on the naturalization certificate , will they
correct it on the spot at the oath ceremony OR will they reschedule the
oath to another date ?

Is the naturalization certificate just a computer print-out that can be quickly
regenerated after making the necessary corrections or ... ?

As someone else in this thread mentioned, you will get a chance to look over your naturalization certificate on the day of the oath ceremony, to ensure everything is correct.

At my naturalization ceremony, there was someone who noticed a mistake in her name. She brought it to the attention of the officer, and by the time the actual ceremony started, the error had been corrected.

ocworker said:
the full legal name on your gc should be on the bottom. check it out to see if your middle name is fully spelled out.

on my gc, it said on "Name" as "FIRST-full, Middle-Init, LAST-full". However, in the bottom of the gc, it listed as LAST-FULL<<FIRST-FULL<<MIDDLE-FULL (or something like that, but all my first, last, and middle names were fully spelled out).

no, even at the bottom, it's only my middle initial. i just looked at the I-90 application. it only asks for middle initial and not middle name. and that's why i just put my initial as opposed to spelling it out.