interview - oath - name change

wittAAAA

Registered Users (C)
I have interview scheduled on 5/7/2009 in Sacramento, CA.

In I-476, Naturalization guide, it is saying "In some cases, USCIS may give you the option to take the oath on the same day as you interview". My question, based on what it is given or not?

I plan to change my name during naturalization, and already stated that in N-400. In I-476, it is saying " If you are going to take the oath at a ceremony that is held in Court, you may ask the Court to chante your name.". My questions: How can I find out if the ceremony will be held in Court or not? How can I find out if the same-day oath will be held in Court or not?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

I wanted to change my name as well but they didn't let me because the oath ceremony was not in court for the San Francisco office (it was in a theater in Oakland).
I checked yes one the N-400 question asking if I wanted to change my name but when I had the interview, the CIS officers told me they can't change names in the San Francisco office unless the name you want to change to appears on legal documents that you have (passports or visas i'm guessing).

I'll take a wild guess and say you'll probably run into the same situation, so if you really want to change your name you can do it after you get your citizenship. That means you'd have to get all of your documents changed, i'm not going to do that...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have interview scheduled on 5/7/2009 in Sacramento, CA.

In I-476, Naturalization guide, it is saying "In some cases, USCIS may give you the option to take the oath on the same day as you interview". My question, based on what it is given or not?

I plan to change my name during naturalization, and already stated that in N-400. In I-476, it is saying " If you are going to take the oath at a ceremony that is held in Court, you may ask the Court to chante your name.". My questions: How can I find out if the ceremony will be held in Court or not? How can I find out if the same-day oath will be held in Court or not?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Hello wittAAAA ,

I am also planning to do the name change during the oath ceremony at Sacramento, CA.
Are you able complete your name change during the oath ?

Thanks.

Well,, for starters, a Federal Judge will have to sworn you in order for a name change. So, the IO wont be able to change your name, Secondly, many applicants change their name during the citizenship process ( either to avoid hassle or to save money or other reasons) but they can also do it at their local county any time. For instance, in WA, you can change your name anytime you want with or without your naturalization. But the caveat is, you have to pay exta $$$ "court fees" to make that change. Later take that name change record to other departments to make them active... If you are planning for a name change and not in a rush for citizenship ( because name change will add few weeks after the interview), its best to do it with the Federal judge because the name change will be recorded in the naturalization certificate and other documents immediately after swrong in.