Interview --> Oath letter: how long does it take?

raj_us123

I passed my naturalization interview on April 13th at San Jose DO. How long does it take to get the oath letter?

Couple of other things
1. My interview letter asked me to bring any evidence regarding selective service but I was not asked about it during my interview (I got the letter from the selective service office one week after my interview, stating that I did not need to register...I was > 30 yrs when I received my green card and prior to that, I was on non-immigrant visa)
2. It probably took 10-15 min for the interview

Thanks,

I passed my naturalization interview on April 13th at San Jose DO. How long does it take to get the oath letter?

Couple of other things
1. My interview letter asked me to bring any evidence regarding selective service but I was not asked about it during my interview (I got the letter from the selective service office one week after my interview, stating that I did not need to register...I was > 30 yrs when I received my green card and prior to that, I was on non-immigrant visa)

Thanks,

Did you received an N-652 Form?

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=296663

Couple of other things

Thanks,

Anywhere between a few weeks to months to even years. There is no set time frame that you will get it. Everyone is different and everyone is unique with the process. Generally people seems to get it within a few weeks to a few months of the interview, but that isn't always true...

I am going on 5 weeks and no Oath letter yet :-(

I feel your pain,, the waiting game seems forever,, If only they at least handed us Oath letters after approval even if the Oath was a few months away a least with Oath date and letter in hand we would all feel better...

I am going on 5 weeks and no Oath letter yet :-(

I feel your pain,, the waiting game seems forever,, If only they at least handed us Oath letters after approval even if the Oath was a few months away a least with Oath date and letter in hand we would all feel better...

Nothing to worry after you passed and get an N-652 with Congrats. It is depending on IO and DO timeline. For instance, some IO are very actively get their cases approved from their supervisers, some of them are slowly moving. Some DOs having only one or two oath cerenomy with thousands people some of them daily with a few people. SF Do ussualy takes 2-8 weeks. A few case can take a little more than 8 weeks. Others are exception. I remember some other cases from San Jose and it takes mostly between 4-8 weeks at this DO.

within 45 days?

Here is an excerpt frm a document that says it has be done with 45 days...
not sure how true...

Judicial and Administrative Naturalization
According to immigration law, an oath of naturalization must be administered by a court within 45 days of the naturalization interview. However, in many instances court dockets are full and they are unable to comply with the 45-day requirement. If this is the case, the applicant will be given an opportunity to take the oath administered by an INS official, which is referred to as administrative naturalization. A Judicial naturalization tends to be more formal, as it usually takes place in a courtroom and is officiated by a judge.
Administrative (INS) naturalization is much less formal, as it is conducted by an INS official, usually at an INS office or another facility that holds a fairly large number of people.

Source - http://campusapps.fullerton.edu/cisl/Shine/Images/Field_Book2.pdf

Here is an excerpt frm a document that says it has be done with 45 days...
not sure how true...

Judicial and Administrative Naturalization
According to immigration law, an oath of naturalization must be administered by a court within 45 days of the naturalization interview. However, in many instances court dockets are full and they are unable to comply with the 45-day requirement. If this is the case, the applicant will be given an opportunity to take the oath administered by an INS official, which is referred to as administrative naturalization. A Judicial naturalization tends to be more formal, as it usually takes place in a courtroom and is officiated by a judge.
Administrative (INS) naturalization is much less formal, as it is conducted by an INS official, usually at an INS office or another facility that holds a fairly large number of people.

Source - http://campusapps.fullerton.edu/cisl/Shine/Images/Field_Book2.pdf

The 45 days has to do with exclusive scope of authority of federal courts to administer a judicial oath. INA 310 states that the judicial branch of the government has exclusive authority to administer an oath of allegiance up to 45 days after an applicant has been certified by the attorney general to be eligible for naturalization.