• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Interview, no receipt for DV fees

rpar003

Registered Users (C)
My spouse and I had our interview in Denver yesterday. It could have been a lot worse. The officer was nice and asked us only very basic questions (spelling of our names etc). She wouldn't even take all the letters I had (from bank, housing etc) to prove our marriage was valid, or look at the nice photo album I'd prepared. She said both our interactions with our baby told her enough.

BUT she did ask for the receipt for the $375 each we were meant to have paid the KCC. Which we didn't have. We were sure it must be at home, or at the lawyers office, but at the moment it looks like we never paid it (we wrote so many checks and paid so many fees, but looks like we didn't send $375 to KCC). I would have thought they would have held up our application over this, but they don't seem to have. The lawyer hadn't heard of it either (and we had a meeting to go over the interview process and she never mentioned we'd need the receipt - I guess she didn't know).

So we have now sent off the money to pay the fee - goodbye to another $750 :(
Does anyone know how long it might take for us to get the receipt back from KCC?

Also, my name check isn't cleared yet. I'm from NZ and have only one small speeding ticket to my name (and that was in the US a couple of years ago). I thought I'd have to be a pretty low risk, but apparently there is someone dangerous out there with a name like mine. The immigration officer said she'd requested that they expedite my name check - do you know if the FBI takes any notice of this?

So I am still hopeful, but I had no idea this process would be so hard - it sounded so simple at the beginning! I suppose we still have two months, so here's hoping...

Let's just say you had a VERY nice officer and NOT VERY competent lawyer. ;)
I am sure your name check will be cleared soon: they do expedite name checks for DV cases. :)
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I wasn't incredibly happy with said highly-paid lawyer!

I did go back and look when I got home, and yes, there it is in our NL letter - I guess it's something we should have seen, but I didn't really think about it too much - we paid lots of fees that our lawyer sent in for us, so I figured she knew all about it (and that I paid her to do the worrying about these things for me!)

Anyway (apart from the pain of paying more money :rolleyes: ) I'm hoping it won't take too long to get the receipt notice back from KCC. Can anyone tell me how long it took them to get it back?

I'm just going on faith that it will all work out for us - including the name check too!

You should get the receipt from DOS in week or so. For my case:

06/27/05: Sent Diversity Visa fee - $375 to Departmentf of State
07/04/05: Stamped receipt from DOS received

To rpar003

The $750 should have been sent to the Department of State and not their KCC office. So the receipt will come from DOS withing 7-10 days.

About your name-check, you are lucky that USCIS are willing to ask for it to be expedited. Yes, the FBI will take notice in this case. They only accept such requests directly from their clients (in this case USCIS). I think you are going to be fine.

Good luck

Barbara
2006EU11XX
AOS Oct 05
Interview Apr 06
Waiting for my husband's name-check

Thanks - I'm feeling a little better about it now. Still can't believe the lawyer missed the fee, but oh well. On the bright side at least we have her to deal with getting it to our local CIS office - we're on vacation for most of August :)

DV 2006 Payment

When I sent my check of $375 in May for DV payment, I only received a receipt stamped PAID. I never got any other instructions on what to do next.
Does anybody know what that meant?

Emtee,

From bitter experience I can only echo what Barbara said - keep it in a safe place and don't forget to take it with you to your interview!

Once again some incompetent lawyer screw up. I feel bad for you even if you haven't lost the case but I made the same mistake of going to a lawyer in the beggining and I have to say that most of them know nothing of DV process. They promiss you everything because they want the money.
Good luck to you and don't relly on your lawyer totally.

Receipt back real fast!

Just as an update, we got our receipt from KCC in less than a week! We mailed the fees out Thurs evening (probably in Friday's mail) and got the receipt back yesterday (Wednesday). I can't believe they could be so efficient! :D

We took the receipt to immigration yesterday too, so now our application is only pending my name check :(

Yes, I agree. They are amazingly fast. I sent mine last Saturday after I saw you post (Thanks!) and also received it yesterday.

I was very concerned because the post office never updated the tracking number as received, but at least I got it back. :D