Interview next week. Discovered Tax return error!!

docchey

This site has been very helpful in helping me file the paperwork and prepare for the next step. I have an interview at the ATL DO in 1 week, and I have discovered a few potential problems.

1. The accountant who filed my 2004 tax return put me in as single, even though she had all our info. She said that it was okay since I married in August of last year which is less than half the year. (I don't know what she was talking about). If I file an amendment, I would owe close to $900

2. My wifes 2004 return is nowhere to be seen, and the IRS printouts are unlikely to make it in time. She does however have 2003 return, and 2004 W2s

3. When my parents came over for a visit in the summer, they took the few wedding pics we had of the civil ceremony. Now my wife can't find the copies.

Other than that we have everything else
Joint bank acct
Joint lease
Joint auto and life insurance
joint telephone bill
Same credit card acct
all necessary ID and immigration docs

Also, I started grad school in VA this fall so my wife has been pretty much living alone in GA. However all my bills go to the GA address.

So what do you guys think? Do I have a potential problem. Do I need to get a high priced attorney, considering I can't afford one. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man you talk Exactly about me , i have the same setuation and i live in ATL too lol and my intrview Next week too ..and i have same your problem about the tax return . but i do have an attorny and we been talking about this and i will tell you Exactly what he told me

he asked me if my wife has recived tax return or if she filed as married , and i said she filed as singl when she is married but she thought becose i was not with her i was another contry this maek her singal then he told Me

THE OFFICER MIGHT THINK YOUR WIFE LIED TO THEM ABOUT HER STATE TO CLAIM SHE IS SINGAL EVEN KNOW SHE DO NOT HAVE TO DO THAT BECOSE IF SHE CLAIM SHE MARRIED SHE WILL GOT MONEY RETURN . THE OFFICER WILL NOT CARE WHAT OR WHY SHE DIDT FAIL AS MARRIED .. IT WILL BE LIE ..
so i told him what now , he said LET YOUR WIFE GO BACK AND HAVE THE TAX DONE SINCE THE DAY YOUR FOOT STPED IN GA ...

and she did that and ow this problem solved ..

he said IF WERE LESS THAN YEAR HERE .USA. YOU SHOUDT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE TAX STUFF IT JUST IF YOU OVER THAN THE YEAR .

about the picture , its ok but you have to tell them the true about the picture s that your family took them and you didt make copys but i would Remine you that he might tell you that you could have copy Via internet from your family unless they dont have them any more .. but realy its not the whole thing the Picture my attorny has told me the importante thing i shoud have ..

1- same account bank for me and my wife
2- prove that we live togather in same address like driver licens shown same address
3- bills , telphone , power , gas
4- tax retrun or tax paied
5-insurance health
6-care insurance
7- pics for us

and i think you have the most importante things you need so no worry about this ..

and i would remine you he might seprate you and your wife and quastion you and her to see if you realy live togather , there is a girl told my wife they seprate her friend from her husband and they asked the husband how many steps in the front door of your home he answerd diffrent answer that what his wife did he said 7 his wife said 12 .. so even they had the evidnce they didt belive them ..

i told my attorny about how silly this quastion and he told me you know what i said what he said always answer I DO NOT KNOW IF SOMTHING CONFUSE YOU THIS THE SAFE ANSWER ..

and thats all i loook forward to my intrview will be Dec 21 Wensday .. and i will post here what will happiend

byes

Thanks for your reply. Is your attorney going to be with you? I think my great fear is separate interview. But we'll prepare for that to the best of our ability. Good luck

onasre said:
Man you talk Exactly about me , i have the same setuation and i live in ATL too lol and my intrview Next week too ..and i have same your problem about the tax return . but i do have an attorny and we been talking about this and i will tell you Exactly what he told me

he asked me if my wife has recived tax return or if she filed as married , and i said she filed as singl when she is married but she thought becose i was not with her i was another contry this maek her singal then he told Me

THE OFFICER MIGHT THINK YOUR WIFE LIED TO THEM ABOUT HER STATE TO CLAIM SHE IS SINGAL EVEN KNOW SHE DO NOT HAVE TO DO THAT BECOSE IF SHE CLAIM SHE MARRIED SHE WILL GOT MONEY RETURN . THE OFFICER WILL NOT CARE WHAT OR WHY SHE DIDT FAIL AS MARRIED .. IT WILL BE LIE ..
so i told him what now , he said LET YOUR WIFE GO BACK AND HAVE THE TAX DONE SINCE THE DAY YOUR FOOT STPED IN GA ...

and she did that and ow this problem solved ..

he said IF WERE LESS THAN YEAR HERE .USA. YOU SHOUDT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE TAX STUFF IT JUST IF YOU OVER THAN THE YEAR .

about the picture , its ok but you have to tell them the true about the picture s that your family took them and you didt make copys but i would Remine you that he might tell you that you could have copy Via internet from your family unless they dont have them any more .. but realy its not the whole thing the Picture my attorny has told me the importante thing i shoud have ..

1- same account bank for me and my wife
2- prove that we live togather in same address like driver licens shown same address
3- bills , telphone , power , gas
4- tax retrun or tax paied
5-insurance health
6-care insurance
7- pics for us

and i think you have the most importante things you need so no worry about this ..

and i would remine you he might seprate you and your wife and quastion you and her to see if you realy live togather , there is a girl told my wife they seprate her friend from her husband and they asked the husband how many steps in the front door of your home he answerd diffrent answer that what his wife did he said 7 his wife said 12 .. so even they had the evidnce they didt belive them ..

i told my attorny about how silly this quastion and he told me you know what i said what he said always answer I DO NOT KNOW IF SOMTHING CONFUSE YOU THIS THE SAFE ANSWER ..

and thats all i loook forward to my intrview will be Dec 21 Wensday .. and i will post here what will happiend

byes

No matter what you need to amend your tax return....this is from the IRS website:

Topic 353 - What is Your Filing Status?

Generally, your marital status on the last day of the year determines your status for the entire year. If you are unmarried, or if you are legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree according to your state law, and you do not qualify for another filing status, your filing status is single.

I wouldn't only think of immigration in this case but also the IRS....you think immigration is bad...they have NOTHING on the IRS.

Otherwise I think your other "proof" of legitimate marriage will suffice.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

P.S. You might want to consider another accountant....I am in the finance industry and would consider her error to be quite serious....also, her reasoning for filing single because you were married in August is completely erroneous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it all depends on the interviewer because we just came from the interview and had a similar situation,we got married in october 2004 and my husband filed as single and the reason given by th accountant was that it was fine since he was single most of the year eventhough we lived together.However the officer wanted other proof of our relationship and we had plenty of pictures and if i counted right he took about 10 of them and put them in our file.be calm and look confident and just prepare the best you can,i had a questionaire that a friend had given me which really helped us out but most of the stuff is the normal day to day stuff...btw this was in LA so i don't know about ATL

Sidenote: just talked to the Certified Public Accountant in our office....if you were married 12/31/2004 you still have to file married for 2004. She was a little shocked someone was actually dispensing advice to the contrary. Seriously, immigration is one thing....do not start off on the wrong foot here with the IRS. We have seen them make peoples lives miserable.

Sorry for the OT....just thought you might want a heads up...

Thanks for the input, I guess I'm gonna have to file an ammended return. I just hate to have to pay back money for some accountants stupid mistake.

im2003 said:
Sidenote: just talked to the Certified Public Accountant in our office....if you were married 12/31/2004 you still have to file married for 2004. She was a little shocked someone was actually dispensing advice to the contrary. Seriously, immigration is one thing....do not start off on the wrong foot here with the IRS. We have seen them make peoples lives miserable.

Sorry for the OT....just thought you might want a heads up...

I hear ya Docchey! Paying more to the IRS stinks the big one! But better to pay now than risk getting audited and having to pay penalites and interest! (Unfortunately with tax revenues down, the IRS is starting to be more aggressive about auditing individuals. When the economy is going strong and tax dollars are rolling in, they worry less about enforcement) Hmmmm I would talk to the accountant about returning the fee you paid to them. Most will do that if they have made the error...some will pay the penalty too!

I have a similar situation. I got married in Nov. 2002. In Nov 2005 my husband got his citizenship ,and we applied for my adjustment of status. Before citizenship exam, my husband attoney had sent him to some accountant to file late tax returns as there were 3 latest years missing. So he filed late, paid a late fee to IRS. But later on when he was getting documents together for the exam I discovered that in his tax returns for these latest 3 years his status was single instead of married. First I was worried that he would have problems getting his citizenship because of this
stupid mistake. But lucky enough, the interviewing officer didn't look at his tax returns, only asked if he had them. Now when filing affidavit of support with adjustment of status application I included these 3 years tax returns with mistake. It was couple days ago. I don't know if CIS will accept it as it is. But in any event we'll need to do ammentments for the interview just in case. Hate to do that too, but well ... what can you do . You learn from your own mistakes next time need to check all the papers for mistakes.

Please , let us know how your interview went , how you went about this problem.

And yet , I am not an expert on this, but if you are married don't you have to pay less to IRS than if you were single? Just interested....

Good luck!

what's W-2 form for?

I am a little confused, what's the W-2 form for?

I started working(Apr. 05) this year after marriage(Jan. 05), before that I only have on campus part-time job, all I have is Form 1042-S, from 2002 to 2004. So should I call my previous school ask for a copy of W-2? Or how can I get a copy of W-2? But I don't understand what's the W-2 form for in the interview? I will have an interview on Jan. 19th, really worry about it now. Please anybody can help answer my question. Appreciate it!!!

aren't tax returns supposed to be signed?

I have a question.I have been looking over our doicuments again for the interview next week.I noticed that in the tax returns it indicates a place for taxpayer to sign or preparer(ie accountant i guess) to sign if prepared by someone else.

My hubby's not worried about it,he said he's never had to sign anything the accountant does his work n he just goes ahead to cash his check.I have never filed tax returns so i do not know what is what...

I tried to tell him maybe he needs to do things to the letter since this is for interview purpose n not his personal use etc..but he is adamant that i am just worried over nothing....please let me know thanks all.

cushabee said:
I am a little confused, what's the W-2 form for?

I started working(Apr. 05) this year after marriage(Jan. 05), before that I only have on campus part-time job, all I have is Form 1042-S, from 2002 to 2004. So should I call my previous school ask for a copy of W-2? Or how can I get a copy of W-2? But I don't understand what's the W-2 form for in the interview? I will have an interview on Jan. 19th, really worry about it now. Please anybody can help answer my question. Appreciate it!!!

For people who filed taxes jointly but wish to use only their part of income to qualify are asked to submit their W2 with the I-864 and are also asked during the interview to verify. Even in other cases, it is better to have the W2 during the interview so the officer can crosscheck if he wants to,.

ncgirl said:
I have a question.I have been looking over our doicuments again for the interview next week.I noticed that in the tax returns it indicates a place for taxpayer to sign or preparer(ie accountant i guess) to sign if prepared by someone else.

My hubby's not worried about it,he said he's never had to sign anything the accountant does his work n he just goes ahead to cash his check.I have never filed tax returns so i do not know what is what...

I tried to tell him maybe he needs to do things to the letter since this is for interview purpose n not his personal use etc..but he is adamant that i am just worried over nothing....please let me know thanks all.

Dont worry. Call IRS and get tax transcripts for the last three years. That should do.