Interview in NYC

I had my interview in NYC (Manhattan Federal Plaza) on Friday 2.6.04.
Interview was brief - focussed on review of the entire application; I provided updates on my traffic tickets and travel since application. Both items were not an issue.
Civics questions were all from the list on this website.
Lot of time was spent reviewing my travel record (make sure that every INS entry stamp is accounted for on the trip list).
Officer was very pleasant and the process went off smoothly.
I was scheduled for my Oath ceremony on Monday 2.9.04 and received my Certificate of Naturalization.

My final timeline was

app : jan 30, 2003
priority : feb 5, 2003
fingerprinting : march 25, 2003
disappered from online system :early dec, 2003
interview letter received : dec 20, 2003
interview date : feb 6, 2004
Oath: feb 9, 2004

Good luck to all. Thanks for all your help. Let me know if you have any Qs.

Hi ss2004,
Thank you for your info. Did you receive the outh letter in the mail or was it given to you after the interview? thanks

Passport stamps

SS2004,

Did you have any trips where your passport was not stamped? If so, did you have to provide any other proof or did they have the facility to scan your greencard?

Thanks!

Ratrat

I got the Oath ceremony letter at the end of the interiew. The officer asked me if I could wait for an additional hour, in which case they can give me the letter for the next Oath ceremony coming up on the next Monday. I, of course agreed to wait.

I have not had any trips outside the US, where my passport was not stamped upon return. They always scan the green card, but also stamp the passport (in my experience). There are some countries like the UK that dont stamp the passport when you enter that country (if you have already entered once before on the same visa), but upon return, the US always stamps it. So there was no question of providing any other information

Hi ss2004,
Thank you for your answer. Once more. Did they ask you for your tax returns or any other documents? Thank you.

Passport not stamped

Unfortunately I had a trip in June 1998 where my passport was not stamped... :(

Well, JoeF said the itinerary would be enough proof so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Ratrat

Hi,

I have visited canada in 2002, they didn't stamp my passport and most of the time they didn't even scan the greencard. Offcourse, I crossed the board by road through Ambassador Bridge.

I would be going through Citizenship process shortly. Let me know your answer. Thanks.

/joy

My interview was about an hour long.

The issue of taxes did not come up at all. Although I would suggest having the tax returns, atleast from the last few years, with you, as a precaution. As hm11 indicated before, the officer printed out some pages from their system, which i assume were the results of the various background checks they had conducted. My guess is they only bring up issues that were raised in that check process. And every case may be different.

On travel side, if you have travelled out of the country and that is not somehow documented on the passport, but you have other evidence to prove it , I would think you should be fine. In my case, all travel was documented on the passport, and the officer just checked the application against what was in the passport.

Interviu in Garden City

Hello everyone,

I owe you an update about my interview in Garden City. It was on Febr 6, at 8 am. I took a taxi from queens, the fare was $50. The driver didn't know the route, so my mapquest printout was very useful.I arrived there earlier, despite the terible weather. Amazingly, ahead of me I saw at least one hundred people waiting.
So, another unpleasant part about that morning was the long wait. I was invited in at 10:30, and the interview lasted about 40 minutes. After that, we all were asked to wait for the letter with the date and time of the oath. It took another couple of hours to get it. In my case the ceremony will be on febr 24th, at 8 am.

I was advised by other people to carry with me all the documents I had to support my case, even if they were not requested specificaly. It was a very good ideea, because I was asked to provide all kinds of copies, nothing new, they were all part of the original file.

The officer was very polite and professional, the whole thing was based mainly on my application. Yes, questions about my travels abroad, about my marital status, about my political views, I think we went over almost all the questions. Then, she gave me 3 long and quite complex sentences to write, and asked me to read loud a paragraph. In the end, a few easy questions from the 100 q. studied on the INS site. While I was writing and reading, she printed several pages with conclusions, and in the end gave me a letter of confirmation.
The whole process:
App: Dec 30, 2002
FP: Feb 10, 2003
Int: Feb 6, 2004
Oath:Feb 24, 2004
I wish you all good luck.

Hi Roconti

Thanks for the update...

The questions about your political views...was it the same questions that are in the application or something more specific about your leanings in current American politics?

Thanks,

Ratrat

hello ratrat,

the questions were only those from the application, with a highlight on the actual problems we face. nothing to worry about.
a good day to you, r

Citizenship intreview

Wanted to inquire about the citizenship interview, it seems that after the interview was over the immigration dept wanted some more documents like Date of Birth and Proof that you were in the US for 5 yrs. and once you send those documents and reviewing them 5 months later they offer an another interview. This was told me by a person who was interviewed.

Hi Vango

I would assume your passport should be enough proof of your date of birth and residence in the USA (assuming all your trips are stamped in your passport).

It is a good idea to take along a copy of your passport to give to your interviewer in case they ask for it...

Ratrat

Citizenship intreview

I had my citizenship interview on the March 22, and I was missing my marriage certificate and my Photos and i had sent it the next day, it has been almost a month but no reply from there. Does anybody know how long it takes for them to process the information.

Hi Vango,
Why did they ask for your marrige certificate? Did you apply after 3 yrs being married to a USC? They also asked for your photo. What photo are they talking about? Would you please clarify these two things. Thanks

Choyty

Citizenship intreview

They had asked me if i was married and i said yes and told them when i was married(11\03) after i filed for the N-400, and they wanted the photos for the passport once i get the citizenship.

Hi Vango,
Are you saying that they wanted a copy of your PP once you become citizen? Did you ask them why they need a copy of your PP? I don't understand what your marrige has to do with your citizenship interview? I will appreciate if you share your exp with more details, because one of my friend filed N-400, and planning to get married before interview. But he will postpone that if his marrige prolongs his naturalization process. I will apprecite if you share your exp in more details. Thanks

Choyty