Interview Experience San Jose

Hi All:
My (I-485) case was transfered to SJO on December 17, 2004 from VSC. I didn't receive my interview letter yet. Is it worth to check the status of my case at local office? Do I need to wait longer? Please let me know your opinion. Thanks.

Hello Everyone,
I am in urgent need of any help or advise from the experienced members in this forum. I applied for my 485 (employment based) in Nov 2003. A couple of months ago I switched jobs (after 140 approval and 485 > 180 days) under AC21.
I got a letter saying that my case has been transfered to the local center (Milwaukee) for speed processing. Not sure if it was due to the job change or not. Recently I have been charged and I am determined to fight back on this. My question is if my interview call comes in a month or so and the case has not been resolved...what happens at the interview?
Does INS reject my 485 because I have a pending chanrge against me?
Does INS postpone the interview till the case is resolved and make the decision based on the result of the case?

Any help from the members is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

My Interview today

Had my interview today, wasn't approved because of a pending name check..

Summary of my experience:
1. Arrived 15 minutes before my interview time. There is a lot of parking over there. Met my attorney outside the building.
Got called in for interview on my wife's time slot, which was 30 minutes after mine. There are some toys in the waiting room for younger children.

2. The officer looked through my case file, and quickly found that my name check did not complete. It was then obvious that I wouldn't get approved on the spot. My wife's name check did go through, but without my approval, it didn't do her any good.

3. We were asked a few questions (both of us together) from the I-485 list, like have we ever been a member of the communist party, ever been on J visa, ever falsified information to get a visa, etc.

4. They tried understanding why the case got turned over for an interview, and there was a note to check my previous employment, at which point my attorney filled in the information from the I-140 filing, about the job requirement and my letters from previous employers.

5. They verified a few things from my form, like DOB, country of residence before the US. She wrote down the info from my drivers license.

6. She then turned to my wife, had her verify her FOB and country of residence before the US. My wife made a mistake when asked for our date of marriage (I thought it was only the men that forget theat date :D ) which raised an eyebrow. We were then asked for some documentation with both our names on it( didn't specify exactly what they wanted), at which point I produced a PG&E bill and a car insurance policy. We were also asked for a copy of our kids' birth certificate, which pretty much ensured them that the marriage was bona-fide.

7. We received a couple of forms that said we had gone through the interview and were in pending status.

That was basically it. We discussed what the name check would entail, and how long we would have to wait (unknown). It took around 40 minutes. The officer did ask in the end if we were going to celebrate, so I guess it's a good sign. Now to keep playing the waiting game with the FBI name check. We're getting pretty good at that game...

ishturkish said:
Had my interview today, wasn't approved because of a pending name check..

Summary of my experience:
1. Arrived 15 minutes before my interview time. There is a lot of parking over there. Met my attorney outside the building.
Got called in for interview on my wife's time slot, which was 30 minutes after mine. There are some toys in the waiting room for younger children.

2. The officer looked through my case file, and quickly found that my name check did not complete. It was then obvious that I wouldn't get approved on the spot. My wife's name check did go through, but without my approval, it didn't do her any good.

3. We were asked a few questions (both of us together) from the I-485 list, like have we ever been a member of the communist party, ever been on J visa, ever falsified information to get a visa, etc.

4. They tried understanding why the case got turned over for an interview, and there was a note to check my previous employment, at which point my attorney filled in the information from the I-140 filing, about the job requirement and my letters from previous employers.

5. They verified a few things from my form, like DOB, country of residence before the US. She wrote down the info from my drivers license.

6. She then turned to my wife, had her verify her FOB and country of residence before the US. My wife made a mistake when asked for our date of marriage (I thought it was only the men that forget theat date :D ) which raised an eyebrow. We were then asked for some documentation with both our names on it( didn't specify exactly what they wanted), at which point I produced a PG&E bill and a car insurance policy. We were also asked for a copy of our kids' birth certificate, which pretty much ensured them that the marriage was bona-fide.

7. We received a couple of forms that said we had gone through the interview and were in pending status.

That was basically it. We discussed what the name check would entail, and how long we would have to wait (unknown). It took around 40 minutes. The officer did ask in the end if we were going to celebrate, so I guess it's a good sign. Now to keep playing the waiting game with the FBI name check. We're getting pretty good at that game...
When was your last Finger Printing done ishturkish?

FP done April 2004. Let's hope they get this business over with before July 2005, so I won't have to redo the FP...

ishturkish said:
Sorry to hear about the name check...
In regards to the employment part, did you change employers? If so, when did that happen relative to your application timeframe?

maybesomeday said:
Sorry to hear about the name check...
In regards to the employment part, did you change employers? If so, when did that happen relative to your application timeframe?

I am working for the same employer, so that wasn't an issue. My lawyer gave the EVL letter to them anyway, even though he wasn't asked for it. The information he gave about previous employers was to validate work experience per the job Ad.

My interview on Jan 27 in San Jose

hi Guys,

I just would like to inform you that my GC approved after the interview , But my wife's 'Name' background check was not complete, they didn't approved. he told will take anywhere between 3 to 6 months.
thanks you all for your support. If you guys have any questions please feel free to contact me syedav@yahoo.com.

RD 09/2003 concurrent filing from vermont
140 approved on april '2004
Case transfered to san jose nov 19 2004
received interview letter on Jan 6,2005

I-485 approved after interview..

Our case have been approved after interview this morning 7:30am ..it has been a long ride it is a 2002 case wac-02-119-545xx, it was transfered from CSC to LA office on Sept.28 '04 and got interview notice and fingerprint on Dec.28 '04 date of interview Jan 28 '05 @ 7:30 am...thanks to this board and CIBA...

Last edited by a moderator:
Approved after Interview

My daughter, My wife and Mine got approved after having Interview on 25th of Jan. Looks like my case is transferred for some confusion over my Pay slip and also if am really working for GC applied company. Mine is very clear case because i am with same company nothing changed from 485 apply date. Handover the copies of pay slips and some documents with both names on it next day. Officer was nice and he told decision in one week but on same day of handover of documents, he sent approval letters. Got attorney copy today.

wac-03-010-xxxxx
1FP Nov 2002
2FP updated Aug 18 2004
LUD->09/08->09/09->09/20 RFE issued
RFE issued Sept 20 2004
Replied to RFE on Nov3 2004
BCIS RD RFE reply on Nov9 2004
case transferred on Dec 6 2004
Interview letter on Jan 3 2005
Interview on Jan 25 2005
AD Jan 26 2005

GC Approved today

So finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel. My 485 got approved and passport stamped today. It feels great to be finally free.
My interview was scheduled for 9 am today and we arrived by 8:15. The parking lot was quite full and it took us a bit of hunting to find a spot. After the routine security check we entered the waiting room. The officer finally called us by 9:30 (yea .. the 30 min delay dint do any good for my nerves !!). However, he was a very pleasent and nice guy, who immediately put us at ease. He verified the names on our 485 application. There was a mistake in my wife's form which he corrected after checking the passport. After that he asked us our tax returns and EVL. Apparently the reason my case was flagged for interview, was because they wanted to confirm current employment (which was rather straightforward to prove). Subsequently we got our fingerprints and signature taken and a visa number was assigned. He then stamped our passports and welcomed us as permanent residents.
All in all, a wonderful experience and smooth sailing.
I also wanna thank all the others in this forum who were prompt and helpful in their advice. I wish everybody is able to cross this important milestone as easily as I did.
Good luck.

GC_Watcher
EB2/RIR/Concurrent Filing
RD : Sept '01
Fingerprint - Oct '04
I-140 AD - Dec 20 '04
Case transferred to SJ - Dec 17 '05
I-485 approved - Feb 1

Lawyer is needed for interview?

My I-140 (EB1 NIW category) got apporved and I-485 was transfered to SJO on December 17, 2004 from VSC. I changed my job last March 2004, but working in the same field. Do I need a lawyer for the interview? Please let me know your suggestion. Thanks.

csc485rd02 said:
Did you go for interview by yourself? No lawyer with you?

I dint have a lawyer. I thought I did not need one as my case was fairly straightforward. You may want to take a lawyer if you anticipate issues like AC-21, multiple employers, RFE's or more complicated issues.

gc_watcher said:
So finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel. My 485 got approved and passport stamped today. It feels great to be finally free.
My interview was scheduled for 9 am today and we arrived by 8:15. The parking lot was quite full and it took us a bit of hunting to find a spot. After the routine security check we entered the waiting room. The officer finally called us by 9:30 (yea .. the 30 min delay dint do any good for my nerves !!). However, he was a very pleasent and nice guy, who immediately put us at ease. He verified the names on our 485 application. There was a mistake in my wife's form which he corrected after checking the passport. After that he asked us our tax returns and EVL. Apparently the reason my case was flagged for interview, was because they wanted to confirm current employment (which was rather straightforward to prove). Subsequently we got our fingerprints and signature taken and a visa number was assigned. He then stamped our passports and welcomed us as permanent residents.
All in all, a wonderful experience and smooth sailing.
I also wanna thank all the others in this forum who were prompt and helpful in their advice. I wish everybody is able to cross this important milestone as easily as I did.
Good luck.

GC_Watcher
EB2/RIR/Concurrent Filing
RD : Sept '01
Fingerprint - Oct '04
I-140 AD - Dec 20 '04
Case transferred to SJ - Dec 17 '05
I-485 approved - Feb 1
hi GC_Watcher
When was your last finger printing done?
Regards

Approved

Hi All,
Finally our GC is apporved today after our interview. I will post message with all the details in evening.

Aneagleseyes
-------------------
PD:Oct 2001 (EB3)
485 ND:Jan 2003
485 RD:Jan 2003
FP1:Mar 2003
FP2:Nov 2004
Interview:Feb 02,2005
Approved finally.....

Hi All once again,

I just cleared my 140. At what point of time during GC processing does USCIS transfer a case to local office.

I wanted to apply for Canadian Immigration, so I sent fingerprints to FBI. The FBI check came clean. Even the police name check in the State of offense came clean.

I answered yes to dreaded question and attached court doc indicating outright aquittal. Also added a paper explaining what happened.

What is your gut feeling?, will I be transferred?

Guys,

Here is my update on my case, help me understand my case.

As you all know, my case got transferred for local office interview in January and I did not get approval because, officer wants to go through my documents before making a final descion.As you guys remember, my case got transferred before my I-140 got approved and during the course of interview I asked officer if my I-140 was approved and to that officer replied "YES" and the document must be inside all the documents which was sent from Vermont service center.

Few things happened after the interview, which are kind of surprising.

1. My name check was cleared earlier, but after the interview there was one more name check for both me and my wife. I sent a email few months back to FBI to see if my name check was cleared and I got a email 2 weeks back from FBI help desk and I saw a request for name check after my interview.

2. On Feb 11th I got a email from USCIS, saying my I-140 was cleared. Which is surprising, I thought my I-140 was cleared long time back.

3. Today I got a call from my attorney saying, USCIS Vermont has requested our cases be moved back to Vermont service center from local office. She was making a inquiry with local office supervisor and my pending case he passed this information.

4. I checked my case status online, only LUD got updated to today's date and there is no information of my case, here is what it says" The status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center."

I don't know what's going on with my case, did anyone faced this kind of problem?

Thanks

All,

Finally, my I-485 got approved few backs and I got it stamped this week. My case is such a roller costar I could n't believe myself when I got the welcome letter and I was still thinking it was mistake from INS when I got this letter and
as there was no update of my case online or with INS customer support.

Well, now it’s over and I can relax. I want to thank each and everyone who patiently answered my questions and immigrationporatl.com is a great site for all paranoid immigrants like me.

Regards
Leanback