Interview Experience San Jose

Interview - Approval

For those of you who got approved a few days after the interview - Did your online status get updated or did you know it only when you opened the mailbox??? I had my interview in sanjose on the 23rd. Still waiting.....

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
kitkatshree,

It depends on what the officer said was missing at the time of interview. There are old posts in this thread and the interview tracker thread where people shared similar experience to yours?

Can you please share when your file was transferred from CSC to San Jose office and when you got your interview letter? I am curious to know how long it is taking these days for scheduling interviews.

interview - approval-

Sorry...about not posting details. Yes mine got transferred on the 18th of october from TSC and got a letter on the 3rd of Nov. the interview was smooth and the officer actually asked us to wait outside while she ran some checks. Then she came out telling that the systems were down adn so she will let us know early dec...I guess I still ought to wait it out. but you know how this wait is...killing.....

I have been waiting for a month now for a interview, you got it very quick!!

Recently my I485 message changed to " On November 19, 2004, we responded to your request for more information concerning your case. " after transfering to local office.

I called USCIS on Oct'27 to update my new address and they took nealy a month to process it and meanwhile my case got transfered to local office, now i am wondering weather local office has new address to send me interview letter. ???

Hi
In my case the local office sent me the interview letter to my present address and also to my previous address where I had moved from over 6 months ago. During the interview when the officer asked us to verify all the info like DOB name and address, I noticed that they still had the old address on file and had to explain to her that we had notified them and in fact the interview letter first came to the new address...I wouldn't stress about address change if you have mail forwarding set up....

Guys,

I got my interview letter today and it's on Jan 13th 2005. They asked pretty much the standard stuff for interview.

Leanback,
Congratulations...Good Luck!!! Are you affected by the visa retrogression???? I have a friend whose file got transferred but is now wondering if the interview call will come....

Domestic violence arrest

Thanks Niladri30 for your informative post.

I hope somebody on this forum can guide me.

Four years ago I was arrested in California on charges of domestic violence (a felony charge). My wife and I had a fight and she called the cops, and they arrested me. My wife bailed me out the next morning and the charges were later dropped. I never went to court as the charges were dropped. I was on H1B visa at the time.

Fast forward four years to today....
I am in India for a vacation and went to the US embassy to renew my H1 visa, and here's where my problems start. I made the blunder of answering the "Have you ever been arrested or convicted..." question on Form DS-156 to "No". During the visa interview, the office asked me if I was ever arrested because apparently my name was in the database and it flashed on his screen. I told him yes I was. He asked me why I have marked "No" to the question. I said that I misunderstood the question because my charges were dropped. Anyway he asked me to change my response to "Yes", which I did. I also told him I was arrested for domestic violence but the charges were later dropped and there was no conviction.

He then told me that they would take a full-set of my fingerprints, and send them to US for a complete check. They took my fingerprints, kept my visa application, returned me my passport and told me to wait for a month. They said that the embassy will get in touch with me after the verification is complete.

1. Is there any hope for me getting a visa?

2. Is there something I could do, like contacting my employer in the US, contacting my immigration lawyer in the US, hiring a lawyer to try and get my police or court records in the US?

Please help.

leanback

Man I am glad to hear about your interview letter since my transfer date is just a week behind yours. I remember you scheduled an infopass appointment for Dec 14th. Guess you are going to cancel it. I also took an appt on Dec 21st.

Passport Stamping

Hi Leanback:

Is your local INS office for Passport Stamping - Monterey Road, San Jose?
Also is it possible for us to go in without an Infopass appointment for Stamping?
Also is it ok to go in earlier than the date on the letter for Stamping?

Thanks

leanback said:
Guys,

I got my interview letter today and it's on Jan 13th 2005. They asked pretty much the standard stuff for interview.

HurricaneBay said:
Man I am glad to hear about your interview letter since my transfer date is just a week behind yours. I remember you scheduled an infopass appointment for Dec 14th. Guess you are going to cancel it. I also took an appt on Dec 21st.

Hi Hurricanebay,

I cancelled it yesterday. You will get your interview letter this week, Don't worry.

Thanks

gogetterwinner said:
Hi Leanback:

Is your local INS office for Passport Stamping - Monterey Road, San Jose?
Also is it possible for us to go in without an Infopass appointment for Stamping?
Also is it ok to go in earlier than the date on the letter for Stamping?

Thanks

I am going for a interview on Jan '13th , not for passport stamping. I guess, you can go without a appointment, But you have to stand in line for hours.

No, you cannot go in earlier than the date mentioned for stamping.

Thanks

kitkatshree said:
Leanback,
Congratulations...Good Luck!!! Are you affected by the visa retrogression???? I have a friend whose file got transferred but is now wondering if the interview call will come....

Kitkatshree,

I have no idea of this visa retrogression, do you suggest me to speak to my attorney ? I did get a interview call.

Thanks

leanback,

If your labor cert was filed before 1/1/02 (original Priority Date), you are cool. When visa date retrogresses, USCIS compares the visa date (which currently is 1/1/02) to your labor PD (not your 140 or 485 RD in cases that require labor cert)

HurricaneBay said:
leanback,

If your labor cert was filed before 1/1/02 (original Priority Date), you are cool. When visa date retrogresses, USCIS compares the visa date (which currently is 1/1/02) to your labor PD (not your 140 or 485 RD in cases that require labor cert)

Hi Hurricanebay,

My labor was filed on 12/26/2001. I guess , i am Ok.

Thanks

Received interview letter

I received the letter today. Interview is scheduled for 1/12/05. Took 3 weeks to get the letter from transfer date. SJC is not bad at all.

HurricaneBay said:
I received the letter today. Interview is scheduled for 1/12/05. Took 3 weeks to get the letter from transfer date. SJC is not bad at all.

So, your interview is earlier than me. Do you know if we reschedule the date , how long it takes to get a new interview date ?

Good luck!!

To Gogol75

My guess is that there is a resonably good chance that you will get a visa.
Depends on how convincing your explanation of why you marked the arrest question as "No" was.

For future refrence:

Since the charges were dropped, the legal position is that you are NOT a criminal; law enforcement made a mistake.

Your arrest, unfortunately, stays on the record. However, you cannot be discriminated against due to the stupidity of law enforcement :D

Do be sure, never to answer a question untruthfully. Chances are, the immigration officer's record also shows "Dismissed w/o perjudice"; and there would have been no further investigation in the normal course. Now they need to make sure why you appeared to be lying.

I don't think talking to your employer will be of value, but that is only my opinion. A lawyer always helps, if sometimes only marginally. In this case I would say it should be determined by the lawyer's fees. It is unlikely the lawyer wil be able to speed up the process. He / she can possibly stop it getting delayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dui

Hey Guys....I am surprised no one discussed DWI/DUI as yet.

In my case, I am waiting for an interview to be scheduled from my regional office. I was arrested/ convicted to DWI in Feb this year(before my 485 was filed). I fought the case and lost and finally was convicted in Septermber 04. I got 1 year of unsupervised probation , 24 hours community service and 109 hours of alcohol abuse class. This is a pretty standard sentence for a DWI class 5(lowest) misdemeanor.

What can I expect from my interview. My 140 has been cleared and I have my EAD and AP. This interview is for I-485.

DesiDon