Interview Experience San Jose

AOS interview Completed. Interview passed but no visa numbers, hence no approval yet.

Friends,

Just came back from the AOS interview that lasted just under 10 minutes. Officer said that he will approve the applications as soon as visa numbers are available come October. As of now there are no visa numbers as far as he knows. Those who want to read just the summary can scroll down and just read the summary.. rest ..Keep on reading.

Here is the complete experience -

We(Me and my wife and kid) reached the Local Office at San Jose half an hour before the scheduled time. We had a suitcase full of docs(size of airline hand luggage) and our marriage photo album with us. Went in 15 minutes prior to the interview with our Attorney. Were surprised to see that office was almost entirely empty. We and another couple just went in. Attorney briefed us again on what to expect and offered advice that be careful and brief to provide only the information that is asked for. Not more and no less and tell the truth. We put in interview letters in the box under the window. Were called in by a smiling officer right at the time.

Officer, who was a very nice and professional gentleman around 45-50yrs of age, greeted us and asked us to sit. Our attorney presented the G-28 forms. After that attorney did not speak a word for the rest of the interview. He didn’t need to.

Officer put us under oath. And interview began.

First officer asked for our DLs/passports. He looked at the DL and asked whether it’s our current address on it. We said No; current address is at the interview letter. He asked when we moved to the new address, I replied and told him the time. He then flipped through our passports. Took our I-94s out and attached it to a forms (one each for me and my spouse- our photos were attached to the form) in front of him. It was a form where he wrote down our addresses from the interview letter. Then he asked us to sign in a box on that form. Took the index FPs on it. Repeated the exercise on the back of the form and for my spouse.

The he asked for Birth Certificates. I gave them all three, for me, my wife and my son who is a US citizen. He asked for a copy of my son's Birth Certificate and I was happy to give it. He kept the copy and put in the file. He returned our originals. He had copies for my spouse and me already. He verified that we have no other children.

Then He asked whether I still work for my company (He took the name). I said yes. He asked for EVL(Employment Verification letter) and salary slips. Given to him. He kept the letter and retuned the salary slips. The he asked for copy of 2006 Tax returns. I gave him our copy of W2s and tax returns. He kept it.

Then he said he is going to ask us some questions.. He asked whether we did support any terrorist orgs or sold drugs, we obviously said NO. Then he asked whether I was arrested/cited.... at any other time other than mentioned on the application(Obviously he was aware), I said No. My wife said no too. That’s it. He didnt ask about any court docs for my DUI.. We anyway submitted everything at the time of filling I-485 so probably he didn’t think it is need. No other word regarding the incident.

Then he said that he will approve our applications but can’t do it now since no visa numbers are available. Gave us a letter indicating the same reason. This letter has our A#s, correct priority dates(unlike the interview letter),and category as E37/39 and our county of chargeability . He said,” I will keep the file and will send you letters of approval in October or as and when visa numbers are available. You don’t have to come again. Your cards will be produced the old fashioned way and it may take another month after that. “

After that, we got up and thanked the officer and came out. All in all, a nice and pleasant experience though a bit sad because we couldn’t sign the deal though.

My bad, I didn’t show him the latest visa bulletin, which made July current again. I didn’t know whether it would help. Something inside didn’t want to bother him. Anyway my PD is in early 2002, hence I believe it wouldn’t retrogress so far back in Oct, but you never know. We got up, said thank you. He gave a candy to my son for being nice to Daddy and Mommy.. Surprisingly my son was busy with his cars and did run around and stormed the rest of the rooms there.

That’s it. Letter we got says that we mail a copy to Local office if visa bulletin declares our dates are current. Inquires can be done either by infopass or letters to local office not before 3 months from the date of interview.

Though this post is long.. The whole experience lasted less than 10 minutes.

SUMMARY -
1) Asked for DLs/Passports/Birth Certificates. Kept a copy of my son's(USC) BC as we didn’t submit it when we filed I-485. Took EVLs, saw salary slips and took a copy of 2006 tax returns and W2.(Actually he didn’t ask for W2s, but I have all of them attached.)
2) Took our I-94s. Took index FPs and signatures for my spouse and me. Didnt ask for EADs/APs/H1s/H4s and didnt take even our latest APs and EADs..
3) Verified that no other incident happened other than the DUI mentioned on I-485 application. Didn’t even ask for any documentation. We supplied everything at the time of filing I-485, hence he had it.
4) Asked a couple of standard Qs from I-485 application whose answers were NO.. Stuff like whether you ever supported terrorist orgs or sold drugs..
5) Could not approve for lack of visa bulletin. He said would keep our file with him and approve it in October when visa numbers are there.
6) Gave us a letter that indicates that he couldn’t approve AOS because visa numbers aren’t there as per state department's visa bulletin. This letter has lot of other reasons like pending background checks/FBI Name check pend/Additional review required.. He didn’t check or mention anything else other than visa number no available related checkbox..

Hope this post helps you guys and I wish you all the best.

gcrayudu,
Your message is too crytic for guys like me. Looking at the positives, I would say, you got a visa number on 7/1/07 and may be you have transferred to the place where they should go ahaed and approve you.. cant figure out this 245 unit.. must be an internal code of USCIS.. try to search USCIS wesite for this term..

Friends,

Just came back from the AOS interview that lasted just under 10 minutes. Officer said that he will approve the applications as soon as visa numbers are available come October. As of now there are no visa numbers as far as he knows. Those who want to read just the summary can scroll down and just read the summary.. rest ..Keep on reading.

Here is the complete experience -

We(Me and my wife and kid) reached the Local Office at San Jose half an hour before the scheduled time. We had a suitcase full of docs(size of airline hand luggage) and our marriage photo album with us. Went in 15 minutes prior to the interview with our Attorney. Were surprised to see that office was almost entirely empty. We and another couple just went in. Attorney briefed us again on what to expect and offered advice that be careful and brief to provide only the information that is asked for. Not more and no less and tell the truth. We put in interview letters in the box under the window. Were called in by a smiling officer right at the time.

Officer, who was a very nice and professional gentleman around 45-50yrs of age, greeted us and asked us to sit. Our attorney presented the G-28 forms. After that attorney did not speak a word for the rest of the interview. He didn’t need to.

Officer put us under oath. And interview began.

First officer asked for our DLs/passports. He looked at the DL and asked whether it’s our current address on it. We said No; current address is at the interview letter. He asked when we moved to the new address, I replied and told him the time. He then flipped through our passports. Took our I-94s out and attached it to a forms (one each for me and my spouse- our photos were attached to the form) in front of him. It was a form where he wrote down our addresses from the interview letter. Then he asked us to sign in a box on that form. Took the index FPs on it. Repeated the exercise on the back of the form and for my spouse.

The he asked for Birth Certificates. I gave them all three, for me, my wife and my son who is a US citizen. He asked for a copy of my son's Birth Certificate and I was happy to give it. He kept the copy and put in the file. He returned our originals. He had copies for my spouse and me already. He verified that we have no other children.

Then He asked whether I still work for my company (He took the name). I said yes. He asked for EVL(Employment Verification letter) and salary slips. Given to him. He kept the letter and retuned the salary slips. The he asked for copy of 2006 Tax returns. I gave him our copy of W2s and tax returns. He kept it.

Then he said he is going to ask us some questions.. He asked whether we did support any terrorist orgs or sold drugs, we obviously said NO. Then he asked whether I was arrested/cited.... at any other time other than mentioned on the application(Obviously he was aware), I said No. My wife said no too. That’s it. He didnt ask about any court docs for my DUI.. We anyway submitted everything at the time of filling I-485 so probably he didn’t think it is need. No other word regarding the incident.

Then he said that he will approve our applications but can’t do it now since no visa numbers are available. Gave us a letter indicating the same reason. This letter has our A#s, correct priority dates(unlike the interview letter),and category as E37/39 and our county of chargeability . He said,” I will keep the file and will send you letters of approval in October or as and when visa numbers are available. You don’t have to come again. Your cards will be produced the old fashioned way and it may take another month after that. “

After that, we got up and thanked the officer and came out. All in all, a nice and pleasant experience though a bit sad because we couldn’t sign the deal though.

My bad, I didn’t show him the latest visa bulletin, which made July current again. I didn’t know whether it would help. Something inside didn’t want to bother him. Anyway my PD is in early 2002, hence I believe it wouldn’t retrogress so far back in Oct, but you never know. We got up, said thank you. He gave a candy to my son for being nice to Daddy and Mommy.. Surprisingly my son was busy with his cars and did run around and stormed the rest of the rooms there.

That’s it. Letter we got says that we mail a copy to Local office if visa bulletin declares our dates are current. Inquires can be done either by infopass or letters to local office not before 3 months from the date of interview.

Though this post is long.. The whole experience lasted less than 10 minutes.

SUMMARY -
1) Asked for DLs/Passports/Birth Certificates. Kept a copy of my son's(USC) BC as we didn’t submit it when we filed I-485. Took EVLs, saw salary slips and took a copy of 2006 tax returns and W2.(Actually he didn’t ask for W2s, but I have all of them attached.)
2) Took our I-94s. Took index FPs and signatures for my spouse and me. Didnt ask for EADs/APs/H1s/H4s and didnt take even our latest APs and EADs..
3) Verified that no other incident happened other than the DUI mentioned on I-485 application. Didn’t even ask for any documentation. We supplied everything at the time of filing I-485, hence he had it.
4) Asked a couple of standard Qs from I-485 application whose answers were NO.. Stuff like whether you ever supported terrorist orgs or sold drugs..
5) Could not approve for lack of visa bulletin. He said would keep our file with him and approve it in October when visa numbers are there.
6) Gave us a letter that indicates that he couldn’t approve AOS because visa numbers aren’t there as per state department's visa bulletin. This letter has lot of other reasons like pending background checks/FBI Name check pend/Additional review required.. He didn’t check or mention anything else other than visa number no available related checkbox..

Hope this post helps you guys and I wish you all the best.
Congratulations!
I had a very similar experience in the San Jose office on July 3rd with the only exception being that I didn't get any letter. The officer said that we would our notice/cards in a couple of weeks, but I haven't received anything yet. The case status online isn't updated all though the LUD has changed to July 14th! I have an infopass appointment tomorrow to find out if anything has changed.

Hi Folks:

gcrayudu,
Your message is too crytic for guys like me. Looking at the positives, I would say, you got a visa number on 7/1/07 and may be you have transferred to the place where they should go ahaed and approve you.. cant figure out this 245 unit.. must be an internal code of USCIS.. try to search USCIS wesite for this term..
There is nothing cryptic here. This is my situation:
Ok my PD is 11/2004 - EB2 and we got interviewed on 10/2005 in South Portland and at the time of interview there are no visa numbers since there is

retrogression and IO mentioned that once Visa Dates become current they will mail our Cards by approving/adjudicating. We moved to San Jose in 12/2005

and updated the South Portland with AR11 with San Jose address. Hence our applications are transferred to San Jose Local Office.On July 1st our PD

became current and we went to San Jose Office and asked the status of our case. The Officer mentioned that they are going to pull out our applications

and approve the same day. I had doubts and filed for our EAD and AP renewals and requested the help of Congresswoman to expedite our applications

including AOS(I485 application) in San Jose Office.Again on July 16th I took infopass appointment and went to San Jose office and those guys even did

not take out our applications from Inventory room.
I spoke to the officer and this time spent more than 1.5 hr in the office and finally the officer showed our case file and said he is going to hand it

over to supervisor and i asked a proof of my visitation to the office.This is what he wrote on our infopass appointment and tore down the lower part of

the appointment which has some information.
So can I assume that there is a Visa Number for our application?Can I see my approval? He said they will respond in 4 - 6 weeks.I also got the response

from Congresswoman that our applications are waiting to assigned to the officer.

I have done some research and looks like on the 245 and this is what i found out

The Travel Control Branch of the New York District, Immigration and Naturalization Service was comprised, at all times material herein,
of four (4) major examination units: The I-130 unit; the I-140 unit; the 245 unit; and the Non-Immigrant unit. The I-130 unit processed
petitions involving relatives in the US; the I-140 unit processed petitions involving work in the US; the 245 unit processed combined
applications involving both I-130 and I-140 petitions plus an I-485 adjustment of immigrant status petition; and the Non-Immigrant unit
processed petitions for short-term stays which did not require an adjustment of status.

4. The 245 unit combined application procedure, referred to above
involved either pre-scheduled, calendared interviews or "one-step"
applicants who were walk-ins without pre-scheduled interviews. This
"one-step" procedure was initially implemented on or about December 1,
1980. Prior to that time, only pre-scheduled interviews were handled by
the 245 unit.

Hi GC_07

Congratulations!
I had a very similar experience in the San Jose office on July 3rd with the only exception being that I didn't get any letter. The officer said that we would our notice/cards in a couple of weeks, but I haven't received anything yet. The case status online isn't updated all though the LUD has changed to July 14th! I have an infopass appointment tomorrow to find out if anything has changed.

Hi GC_07:

Did you tried getting I551 stamping. Looks like you got your visa numbers for your case. Can you please update your infopass appointment. I am taking infopass appointment for monday, july 23rd.

Let us sync up

Guys update us about your status

JR1 and gc_07,
You seem to have stopped posting. Can you please let us know what happened to your case? Did yo succeed in obtaining your status or approval yet?
Would be nice if you can provide some status and hope to guys like us who have slipped into shoes similar to you were in at the time of your last post.

Thanks

Folks,

I just got back from my infopass appointment. The officer was a bit rude and didn't entertain too much conversation. He gave us conflicting information first saying it was approved and then not yet approved! Finally he got specific and told us(my wife and I) that the status is "Visa Number Availability", meaning that I need to wait for visa numbers to be available. I specifically asked about name check and he looked up both our A#s one by one and told us that the name check is fine. He advised that we renew our AP and EAD until visa numbers are available.

So, all in all I guess we just have to wait and see what happens in October. The only consolation I have is that our name checks are "fine"!
Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck to you gc_07

gc_07,

Very unfortunate that you didnt get an approval yet inspite of being told so at the time of interview. While folks at NSC and TSC are getting approval in heaps and they arent getting those without getting visa numbers, local offices arent able to secure visa number for golks like you and me. I have seen some approvals at those centers even after people completing their fingre prints in July. Hence easy to conclude that their apps didnt have visa numbers attached peior to their FPs.

Looks like local offices arent working hard enough to complete cases at their hands and are looking for excuses.

I hope the situation get resolved by October and we dont face another retro..

BTW what is your PD and category as well as country of chargeability?

Hope you keep us in the loop as and when things move for you.

Hello Folks

GC_07 and MadeoneMistake:

I am getting panicked and worried now a lot.

GC_07,
I am quite shocked hearing your case details.You got interviewed on July 3rd. Usually it does not take more than 5 mins to find out if visa number is available or not? After successfully completing the interview the Immigration Officer should take your passports and then verify for visa number.When they said you will get approval you must be getting and I am still confused.

In madeonemistake case it is quite clear because he got interviewed later in 3rd week of July so that might be the reason why the visa numbers may not be available

Still I am not convinced that everything they have told is right there is something missing. By the way did you speak with the tall guy in window 15? I had similar experiences with window 15 but last time he spoke nice.

I don't what to expect and keeping my fingers crossed.

let us interact and I will send my email id in pm

Rayudu

Approvals from Local Office

gc_07,

Very unfortunate that you didnt get an approval yet inspite of being told so at the time of interview. While folks at NSC and TSC are getting approval in heaps and they arent getting those without getting visa numbers, local offices arent able to secure visa number for golks like you and me. I have seen some approvals at those centers even after people completing their fingre prints in July. Hence easy to conclude that their apps didnt have visa numbers attached peior to their FPs.

Looks like local offices arent working hard enough to complete cases at their hands and are looking for excuses.

I hope the situation get resolved by October and we dont face another retro..

BTW what is your PD and category as well as country of chargeability?

Hope you keep us in the loop as and when things move for you.

Madeonemistake,

That is not entirely true. If you see this thread:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=251578

You can see a lot of people who got approved in local offices but these people are the people who got interviewed in 2005/2006 and pending visa number available just like me. There is one poster who got interviewed in San Francisco on June 27th and approved when his PD got current on July 1st.

It is all luck that matters

Latest Update for me.

Yesterday got a letter from USCIS(letter has address of my local San Jose office). Letter is dated Aug 10th and recently on july 18th I had an interview -
Letter says I inquired about status of my I-485 application on 06/11/07. On that date, I called USCIS to get my zip code corrected and this letter resulted from it. I noticed an incorrect zip code on my FP notice on which my address was new and zip code from the old address and I had to go to SFO for FP. However thats another screwup altogether on part of USCIS.

Other than my information, letter says "Typographical Error" as "Type of Service Requested" which is OK. But it goes on to say that -
Status of your service request is:

The processing of your case has been delayed. A check og our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required investigation into your background remains open.

and then blah blah about all these need to be completed before you get the immigration benefit.

I had my interview on july 18th. Only reason that IO cited was lack of visa numbers. I have the letter than IO gave me and it has only visa number not available related section checked. IO said eveything else looked good.

Now WTF? Background checks pending?

I was also interviewed by local office last week. Immigration officer told me that the case will be pending because of unavailability of Visa nos. After two days of interview (08/09) online status changed to Card production ordered and then on 08/10 Welcome notice mailed. No update after that. I have not received approval e mail/Physical card yet. Anybody on the same boat?

getgc when did you have your interview?

getgc when did you have your interview? can you post your details such as EB 1/2/3, PD, and Nationality.

I was told to wait for the visa number and so is Madeonemistake. So little surprised.

Madeonemistake, do you have anyupdates from san Jose local office?

Rayudu

Hi hello friends

If u know any info help me out.. it's really appreciates
we went to Infopass local office they told us both of NC every thing is cleared in march 2006when we called 3 times they said one officer yes its cleared, and waiting for visa available 2 officers not cleared for primary applicant, it's all the times said cleared for derivative.

Last week I contacted congressman & I got reply from them applications r pending awaiting for an officer,
but they did not mentioned about NC....

This week I contacted NJ Senator and waiting for reply & they take more time.. let see
I taken infopass appt agaian for next week
or else what is better way...what about ombudsman..
or First Lady letter is it better..
please give me feed back & u r side info...

trsfd to TSC now pending over there ..
we got both FP code 3....

when we called TSC they said needs to be work on again from begin is it true..
will they ask 2 nd time NC request..

any way what ever u know please help me out..

thanks

My case status changed to "Card production ordered" on September 20th! Still can't believe it and don't think I'll be convinced until the physical cards arrive.

JR1 and gc_07,
You seem to have stopped posting. Can you please let us know what happened to your case? Did yo succeed in obtaining your status or approval yet?
Would be nice if you can provide some status and hope to guys like us who have slipped into shoes similar to you were in at the time of your last post.

Thanks

I am very confuse , I have been to San Jose office for almost 10 times , Once the officer told that my case is approved on July 20th and transfer to Neb Service Center for Card Production. After 3 weeks no online message so i went there and the other office said our case is pending , but our Name Check is clear and our case has transfer to Nebraska.

Again we went after week and other officer said our case has transfer on AUg 16 and reached to Nebraska on Sept 4. But it is still pending.

Dont know whats going on , Tired of going to San Jose office.

Received Card in mail today!

Hi Folks,

My wife and I finally received our cards today 9/28/2007 :D

It's been one heck of a long process and I wish good luck to everyone else out there waiting for theirs.

Hi Folks,

My wife and I finally received our cards today 9/28/2007 :D

It's been one heck of a long process and I wish good luck to everyone else out there waiting for theirs.

Did u get approval from San jose center or California center?

Need Help 485 transfer notice

I got 485 transfer notice for myself and my wife yesterday saying the preliminary checks are done and further for interview the local office will inform us. Reading all the comments, seems you are called for interview only if you have any criminal record.

I got arrrested in Jan 09 due to cybercrime. It is a count one felony charge. Still charges are pending and it will go for trial by end of this year. I know, i am innocent but i am already getting punished. Wanted to know, if it is necessary to take attorney's advice or anything to be scared of.:confused:

EB2
PD : Mar 06
140 : Dec 06
485 : Receipt date Sep 07 pending.