interview experience for I-485

Sam789

Registered Users (C)
Here is my interview experience for I-485(family based)

They asked following questions:
- When I got married
- What's my birthday
- Asked to see my passport and driving license
- Last income tax return
- Proof of staying together – lease document
- bank statement

And he told me that my case is pending for FBI checking. They will send letter, I have to come back for stamping passport.

He did not take my advance parole or EAD. He did not put any thing in the system.
How they goanna notify me without putting any thing in the system
How much time it takes for FBI background checking? He told me about 6 months. Is the FBI checking depends on city you leave or your first name/last name?

Sam789 - Can you post your application filing time line? Am curious to compare my time line with yours.
Thank You!

-R

I filled my papers in Nov04 to Norfolk, Va and got my EAD/Ap recently. I completed FP few weeks back and waiting for next reply from USCIS. Can you suggest what I expect from USCIS ... a inteview letter or any notice on FP results etc.. thanks

FBI name check can take from 1 month to 2 years.
In my case I had to really fight hard (using Congressmen,Senators etc) to get the name check cleared. I was interviewed in Feb 1st 2005 and got my GC in May 2005 . But I am sure it would have taken more than a year if I had not contacted and annoyed all the congressmen.

I am not tring to scare you but if you sit on your hands and don't do anything, and expect the name check to clear on its own, then you are going to have to wait a long time.
Search on FBI name check on groups.google.com and you will see what i mean

Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice.Use at your own risk

I-130 - Nov-2000
I-485 - Nov-2004
FP - Jan-2005
Int - May-2005
Pending FBI name checking.

how did u stay from I130 2000 to I485 2004???
i had the same problem and now was denyed in the interview because the officer said i had overstayed my visa.. because i stayed from 2000 to 2004 until my husband became a USC in 2003 and could apply for I485 for me.
the officer treated me very rude and only gave us 5 minutes, then said i had been out of status from last entry 2000 to 2004 when applied for I485!!

im scared he said i needed a 601 waiver and would be in deportation process!! please help!!

what can i do??!!
thank you!
m

I485_hell said:
i had the same problem and now was denyed in the interview because the officer said i had overstayed my visa.. because i stayed from 2000 to 2004 until my husband became a USC in 2003 and could apply for I485 for me.
the officer treated me very rude and only gave us 5 minutes, then said i had been out of status from last entry 2000 to 2004 when applied for I485!!

im scared he said i needed a 601 waiver and would be in deportation process!! please help!!

what can i do??!!
thank you!
m

Get a lawyer quickly! You did break the law by travelling, even though you had advance parole. Get a good lawyer ASAP.

I485_hell said:

what can i do??!!
thank you!
m

I-130 does not give you any legal status or right to stay in US, only the I-485 does.
People with pending I-130 are required to maintain their original statuses or just sit quietly and wait till eligible to file I-485. Too bad you didn’t know about the 10 years ban. Sorry to hear about your situation.
Hire a lawyer to properly file a waiver for you.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on H1B from year 2000 to year 2004. I am still on H1b. I got married in year 2000 and my wife became USC in 2004, so I applied I-485 in 2004.