Interview Experience at Sacramento

Vishnu2003

Registered Users (C)
It's fresh on my mind and would like to share with you all my Naturalization interview experience that i went through today at Sacramento. My interview was scheduled at 2.00 PM. I reached there around 1.00 PM. I had to wait really long before I was called for Interview, I was called for Interview at 3.40 PM :(

I was asked to raise hands and swear that I say truth, after that IO asked me to sit. He went through my application and reviewed it with me. There was a typo on one of the dates mentioned on my original application. I mentioned this while reviewing and handed over corrected copy, he fixed the date in the original application itself.
Also Since I had a citation on traffic ticket I mentioned that to IO and handed over the certified disposition certificate that I had got from court. IO received it and kept it in the folder.

He asked me to sign on the application and my pictures.

I was asked to write "White house has a big tree"

After that its civic questions:
How many stripes are there on our flag?
Independence Day celebrates independence from
whom?
What do we call changes to the Constitution?
Who makes the Federal laws in the United States?
What is the highest part of the Judiciary Branch
of our Government?
What were the original 13 states? (I said 9 and continued, before that IO moved to the next question)
What holiday was celebrated for the first time by
American colonists?
What were the 13 original states of the United States called
before they were states?
What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to
America?
What is the White House?

I got all 10 questions correct :) , He noted 10 on the question form.

He gave me N-652 with "Passed" and "Congratulations" boxes checked. He asked me If I can make it to Oath on April 24 th 2007. After I agreed I was asked to wait for few minutes.

Later I got a oath cermony letter to appear on 24 th april. I was the last person to walk out with the oath letter from the people who appeared today.

Over all it was a great experince. Wait was a bit long, but was worth it finally.

Thanks everyone, I made it through this will all your inputs. My wife has an interview on First week of May, hopefully it should go well for her.

Good luck to all who have applied/waiting for the interview.

-------------
Applied on 01/26/07
Priority date 01/29/07
FP Notice 02/27/07
Interview 04/18/07
Oath 04/24/07

Congratulations

Congratulations. I had an interview at the Sacramento office on 9th April. I was asked 6 questions and got all 6 correct. I was also given the form on which he marked "Congratulations" and all that. However, I did not get the oath letter the same day. I was told to wait for 30 days to get the ceremony letter.

Do you have any idea as to why did not I get the oath letter.

I note your process took less than 90 days! If you applied like 89 days before 5 year, do you get naturalization before 5 years?
When did you get your green card?

imp4gc - I don't know why you didn't get the oath letter, As far as I know 90 % of the them who came yesterday and passed interview got the Oath letter.

brb2 - I got my GC on 03/01/02. And I applied for citizenship on Jan 26 th 2007, I completed 5 years last month.

Mailed Application: 05/02/2007
Application Received: 05/04/2007 (USPS Return Receipt)
Check Cashed: 05/17/2007 (From bank activity online)
Receipt Notice Date: 05/21/2007
FP Letter Date: 05/21/2007
FP Appointment: 06/12/2007
FP Done: 06/12/2007 (Awsome experience / No wait / In-out in less than 10 minutes)
IL Mailed: 07/10/2007
IL Received: 07/13/2007
Interview Date: 8/22/2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Got inerviewed today

I attended my interview today. Overall experience was very good. IO was very courteous. After taking oath to only tell the truth, I was pretty much asked all questions from N-400 form again. He asked me for international travel and since I had traveled between FP and Interview, he fixed it on the app itself. Subsequently he asked me to write a simple sentence "I like to drink coffee" on paper and asked me the civic questions. After scoring all, he congratulated me and handed me a form that suggested that I passed the test and that my app has been recommended for approval.

IO told me to wait for 30 days to receive a letter with oath ceremony date and place (some folks have reported that they were asked to take oath same day or got the oath appointment on the same day as interview. I decided to not ask specifically). So now I am waiting for oath ceremony appointment.

Word to the wise - they don;t let you take camera phone in building, so make sure you leave yours in your car. I had to go 4 blocks to do so after I was only 10 min away from appointment (means...I ran :) )

Best of luck,

Congratulation thekats on your successfull interview. Can you please post your application timeline, as I have just applied two weeks ago, and am very much interested in how long will it take before I become a citizen. Thanks.

My timeline

N-400 sent - 2/26/2007
FP Done - 3/28/2007
Interview letter received - 4/15/2007
Interview date - 5/16/2007
Oath notice received - xxxx
Oath taken - xxxx

Warmest congratulations. You were fast. I suspect my timeline might be more typical but it VERY much depends on location and personal circumstances.

Regional office: Mesquite, Texas
Local office: San Antonio, Texas

• 28th July 06: N-400 application mailed
• 7th August 06: Resubmitted with correct check (first check based on incorrect data on USCIS web site)
• 9th August 06: Priority Date and Application Number issued (& check cashed)
• 15th August 06: Fingerprint (FP) notification (6 days from Priority Date; missed FP date due to absence from town
• 31st August 06: Request to reschedule FP
• 5th September 06: Proactive visit to the FP office as a “walk-in” (27 days from Priority Date)
• 20th April 07: Notice to attend interview (227 days from FP; 254 days from Priority Date. Note: file was not removed from USCIS status site)
• 9th May 07: Scheduled interview date. (273 days from Priority Date).

Lessons learned:

1. My straightforward situation has meant that the process has, so far, not been difficult. No lawyer needed so far. However, I might use a lawyer for complex or ambiguous situations
2. Be prepared for the USCIS to operate faster than you might have assumed. If away from town do not have post office hold mail but have friend/relative receive mail and check all USCIS communications.
3. In emergencies, just showing up at the FP office as a “walk-in” does work.
4. As the Khanna forum has indicated, removal of the case status from the USCIS website is not a reliable indicator that the interview letter is imminent.

Update to my timeline

N-400 sent - 2/26/2007
FP Done - 3/28/2007
Interview letter received - 4/15/2007
Interview date - 5/16/2007
Oath notice received - 05/31/2007 :)
Oath scheduled - 06/26/2007

Mailed Application: 05/02/2007
Application Received: 05/04/2007 (USPS Return Receipt)
Check Cashed: 05/17/2007 (From bank activity online)
Receipt Notice Date: 05/21/2007
FP Letter Date: 05/21/2007
FP Appointment: 06/12/2007
FP Done: 06/12/2007 (Awsome experience / No wait / In-out in less than 10 minutes)
IL Mailed: 07/10/2007
IL Received: 07/13/2007
Interview Date: 8/22/2007
Interview Completed: 8/22/2007 (Awsome experience / Called in within 15 minutes of scheduled time. Officer made couple of corrections, asked me about my visit to Canada, have me read a simple english sentence, have me write a simple english sentence, asked 10 history/civic questions. Done. Recommended for approval, and told me that I will receive Oath letter within few weeks. Finished interview in about 15 minutes.
Oath Letter: Waiting!

Last edited by a moderator: