Interview Done today 12/22

DoneInMarch

Registered Users (C)
DO: Lawrence, MA

Time line:
09/26/09 Applied for N-400 (5 year GC based)
09/28/09 Priority Date
10/22/09 Biometrics (Finger Prints)
11/10/09 Transfered to local office
11/17/09 Scheduled for Interview 12/22
12/22/09 Interview
03/04/10 Oath Date

Interview was at 9:30 AM, left the house around 8:30 (I'm about 40 miles from Lawrence) arrived at the parking garage on Appleton street at about 9:05. Walked over to the USCIS office, went through security (empty pockets, no cell phones, pass winter jacket through X-Ray), submitted IL to the reception, was directed to the waiting room. Within 10 minutes was called for the interview. IO was a lady, friendly and professional. Walked to her office, she swore me in. Asked for GC and Passports, did not ask for drivers license. Went through the application line by line, asked if I wanted to change my name, I said no. Asked if I paid taxes every year, I said yes. She then asked if I was ever arrested or got a citation, I mentioned the one ticket I had in 1996, she asked what it was for, I told her it was for failure to wear a seatbelt, I offered the DMV record, she said she did not need it. She asked if I would bear arms if required, I answered "if needed I shall". Wanted to know how long I had worked for my current employer, I responded 24 years, she said "wow, that's a long time". Then she asked me to read "How many senators do we have" I responded, "We have one hundred senators", she asked me to write that down. She also asked if I knew what it means to take the Pledge of Allegiance, I answered that I did.

Then it was on to the civics test, the questions I was asked were

1) What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States? (Pacific)
2) What is name of the U.S. National Anthem? (Star Spangled Banner)
3) Why does the flag have 13 stripes? (represent the 13 founding colonies)
4) What major event happened on Sept. 11th 2001, in the United States? (Terrorists attacked the United States)
5) Hold old do you have to be to vote for President? (18)
6) What is the "rule of law"? (no one is above the law)

She then said I had passed the English and civics tests, congratulated me as she was going to approve my application and gave me a copy of N-652. Told me to wait outside for my oath letter. About 10 minutes later they called me to give me the letter. Oath is on March 4th at Fanueil Hall in Boston.

Based on the various postings here on this forum I was armed with the following documents

1) Tax transcripts for the last 3 years
2) DMV record
3) Joint account statements
4) Pay Stubs
5) Marriage Certificate (even though I was applying as 5 year GC holder, been married 19 years so could have gone either way)
6) Social Security Card
7 Wife's passport (wife is a born US Citizen)

She did not ask to see any of these documents. However, I knew I was prepared should she ask so that calmed my nerves down leading up to and during the interview. She did not ask about Selective Service registration.

Hope this information is useful to others. Thanks everyone for your advice on this forum. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer in a timely manner.

Waiting patiently till March 04/2010.

Thanks
DoneInMarch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! I got exactly the same questions, reading and writing, too 2 weeks ago in NY :)

Congratulations DoneInMarch

My Interview is scheduled on 14 Jan 2010 at 9:30 AM in Lawrence, MA too.

Please let me know if the following cause any issues during the interview:

4 speeding tickets from 2 from 2001, 1 from 2003 and 1 from 2008 (DMV certified MA driving record is clean. says that I do not have any incidents for the past 10 years). I have original tickets and original checks used to pay fines for 3 of the tickets (no court dispositions)

I left my employer less than 2 months after getting GC (worked for them for almost 6 years until GC)

Do you think will these cause any issues during the interview?
How long did the interview take?

Also My Interview is scheduled 4 days prior to my 5th anniversary of GC (18 Jan 2010). How do you think they will handle my case?

Any inputs are appreciated

Did you check "ever arrested, cited or detained..." on your N-400? I don't think I did on mine although I did get a couple of traffic tickets over the years. Would that be a problem I need to correct now or could I correct it in the interview?

Nope, did not check that box

I checked the "NO" box on the application to the arrested, citation question. So when the IO asked I came clean on the ticket. Turns out she did not care about such a minor offense so long ago.

Can't answer your question specifically

Explorer19,
I can't really comment on your case, just tell you what I went through. If I were to hazard a guess about the tickets I would say that they probably don't matter, but you should let the IO know about them. As for leaving your employer I doubt that it has any bearing on the N-400 status.

Just remember that the IO's are not out to get you, they are doing their jobs and so if they think you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes they will get more suspicious. So best advice I can give you is be honest. Unless your license was suspended I don't think its a big deal.

Good luck.

Not sure why the oath is taking so long, but if you look at some of the other posts in this forum you'll notice that for the Boston DO it seems normal. I also found several folks here that had their interview about 15 days before mine and they have oath dates after mine. Regardless, its been a long haul and another 2 months is no big deal.

Getting MA driving record

go to the website for the RMV at

Sorry but I don't have enough posts so it won't let me post a link but if you google "MA DMV" you'll get the link to the massdot . state . ma . us /rmv/ website (just remove the spaces above).

Click on the link to get the driving record, they charge for the "true and attested" record but its not much and you'll get it within a week.

Explorer19,
I can't really comment on your case, just tell you what I went through. If I were to hazard a guess about the tickets I would say that they probably don't matter, but you should let the IO know about them. As for leaving your employer I doubt that it has any bearing on the N-400 status.

Just remember that the IO's are not out to get you, they are doing their jobs and so if they think you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes they will get more suspicious. So best advice I can give you is be honest. Unless your license was suspended I don't think its a big deal.

Good luck.

Thanks DoneInMarch for your inputs.

Actually I have already documented my 4 speeding tickets in N400.
I was never arrested nor my driving license suspended.
They were only usual tickets (all below $500 & points)
My MA DMV Certified driving record is completely clear and says that I do not have any convictions/incidents for the past 10 years