Interview done but IO request more documentation

yahayajp

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview yesterday passed all the questions and the officer made me print my name on the application and sign on my picture.But the IO requested that i should come back after 7 weeks with a certified documentation FROM HOME COUNTRY saying i left my child in a care of a family member and i've been supporting him for the past 5 year,Also i claimed my ex's child as dependant on my 08 taxes and he wants the child's birth certificate.Since we no longer together and i know is going to be hard to get that.Any input on that will be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Proof of supporting children that don't live with you is a standard requirement for citizenship and you should have gathered the proof before you applied, or at least before the interview. Did you provide proof, and the IO said it wasn't good enough? Or did you provide no proof at all?

Sorry to hear about your delay. Maybe you should talk to a lawyer. Child support is a sticky issue with USCIS. Maybe some of the more experienced poster will assist in advising you. But please elaporate about your situation? Is the child born here? where is his mother? And why is it difficult to get his birth certificate?

Go through the interview in details, maybe something in there might be of help to you that you do not see...

the child wasn't born here.And i provided his birth cert. but the IO wants some documentation from home country that i'm supporting my child wich i can get.the second thing is i claimed my ex's child on my taxes for 08 bacause we were staying together. and the IO wants that child's birth certificate.Now we broke up and i know is going to be tough to get that birth cert since i don't even have contact with my ex.

He ask me who wrote. The declaration of independence.
what are the major political parties and what's the presidents political party.
All the test is a token.everyone should be able to pass that.

the child wasn't born here.And i provided his birth cert. but the IO wants some documentation from home country that i'm supporting my child wich i can get.the second thing is i claimed my ex's child on my taxes for 08 bacause we were staying together. and the IO wants that child's birth certificate.Now we broke up and i know is going to be tough to get that birth cert since i don't even have contact with my ex.

Do you have family back home that can get you an official BC. I needed mine and had my mom get me a copy. Let us know what is happening with your situation.
Also could you tell me how you got the fingerprint the same day you received the notice.

That's exactly my problem now.I know is going to be really tough to get that BC.what do you think is the best option to do in case i fail to get it jack???

That's exactly my problem now.I know is going to be really tough to get that BC.what do you think is the best option to do in case i fail to get it jack???

Do you know why the IO wants the other child's birth certificate? Is the IO concerned that the child whose birth certificate you didn't provide is actually your child? Or that you did something wrong on your taxes by claiming that child as a dependent?

did you list all childern that you have in your n400? how did the IO find out about this child? in a perfect world the IO should only know what you put in the form am I right?? except for your background and stuff. As for your dependents on the tax form they only ask if you filed taxes or not they never ask about your dependents and whom they might be. SO i am still not sure how the IO will know such information??

chicagoboy77.Dependants names are clear on taxe returns.so the IO saw that and he ask me who's that and i told him.Is my ex's child and he says ok.get me the BC.He didnt sound bad or rude or anything like that.

Nope.i'm not sure why he wants that,he just ask me who's that child and i told him.and he then says ok he needs the childs BC.IO seems pretty decent and when i was leaving he told me to take care and that he will see me on the date he put on the paper.

did you list all childern that you have in your n400? how did the IO find out about this child? in a perfect world the IO should only know what you put in the form am I right?? except for your background and stuff. As for your dependents on the tax form they only ask if you filed taxes or not they never ask about your dependents and whom they might be. SO i am still not sure how the IO will know such information??

Nope.i'm not sure why he wants that,he just ask me who's that child and i told him.and he then says ok he needs the childs BC.IO seems pretty decent and when i was leaving he told me to take care and that he will see me on the date he put on the paper.

If you cannot get his BC, how about an affidavit written by you and witnessed testifying that the child is not yours and you were not his legal guardian and stating the reasons why you can't get his BC....Maybe some of the experienced posters lend their opinion to my suggestion.

I am still not sure how the IO found out about your kids.
I know the names shows in the tax form but the question is did he ask you for it? Cause they usually just ash if you owe any taxes and that is it.
So did you volunteer the tax return paper???

CJACK.I was thinking about that myself.Maybe i'll make an infopass and then try talking to the IO.And ask him what other option do i have can if i failed to get the BC.Chicagoboy again the names of dependants are right on taxe returns.And that's how he saw it.

Chicagoboy again the names of dependants are right on taxe returns.And that's how he saw it.

You're missing the point of Chicacoboy's question, which is how did the IO see the tax returns in the first place? Did you voluntarily show the tax returns, or did the IO specifically ask to see them?

In most citizenship cases based on the 5-year rule, the IO's don't ask to see tax returns unless you have long trips outside the US or some other red flag. So it appears that you inadvertently complicated your case by unnecessarily showing the tax returns.

Do you guys think i should contact a lawyer?since there's now way on any planet that i can get the BC.or should go back to the DO and tell the IO that i can't get the BC and see what my options will be.???? GURU'S CHIP IN