Interview Descheduled & Running out of Status soon, Please suggest !!

pankajkandhari

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I am on student visa with OPT expiring June 20. My wife is a Green card holder filed for Naturalization last year May 7, 2004 in Philadelphia. Her interview on April 27, 2005 was descheduled and nothing since then. I have little hope of getting everything done before August 20 (including 60 days grace period).

What are my options? Can I do anything to speed up her process, I have contacted local congressmen, but she refused to give me a letter.

Any suggestions are welcome.

PS: I know one person whose interview was descheduled in Philadelphia office on March 1, 2005. He has not received anything yet. Does it means it is a big backlog or this could be a chance factor.

Thanks
Pankaj

pankajkandhari said:
Hello All,

I am on student visa with OPT expiring June 20. My wife is a Green card holder filed for Naturalization last year May 7, 2004 in Philadelphia. Her interview on April 27, 2005 was descheduled and nothing since then. I have little hope of getting everything done before August 20 (including 60 days grace period).

What are my options? Can I do anything to speed up her process, I have contacted local congressmen, but she refused to give me a letter.

Any suggestions are welcome.

PS: I know one person whose interview was descheduled in Philadelphia office on March 1, 2005. He has not received anything yet. Does it means it is a big backlog or this could be a chance factor.

Thanks
Pankaj

have you contacted the DO to see what's hold up?

Hi Pankaj, have you guys heard anything from Philly DO yet??? Just wanted to know as my N-400 is there too. My timeline is from October 04 and still no interview letter yet. Keep us updated. Good luck

H-1B or another F-1

This is indeed a tough situation. You will have to protect your legal status. Can you apply for H-1B. I hear there is an increased quota.

Also, how about going back to school on a new F-1. That is probably easiest, noting the financial burden.

Pankaj,
Are you currently employed on your OPT? My friend's husband has a similar situation. Her interview was done on 03/02/2005 at Santa Ana office, CA. Though, he is currently employed, his employer may not do the H-1 visa.

She has not heard about her oath ceremony since then. She is going to see the officer in person by taking an infopass appointment. This may let her know where her case is stuck.

Can you try the same? InfoPass appointments can be made online at www.uscis.gov

patkt

Checked with Philly BSCIS office

Thanks for all your replies.. my wife went to philly office through this info-pass to meet immigration officer. But to be honest they treat you like dirt. They do not care. She went in 7:15 and 7:22 she was in car driving so you can imagine it was less than 5 mins when this is supposed to be 15 mins.

Anyway, she said it is the FBI name check and INS cannot do anything about it. Now the bigger problem is, if this is not done before November then fingerprints will expire as they expire after 15 months. This is what immigration officer said.

So, basically there is nothing we can do but wait. I am frustrated with this and I might even drag them to court but for next month or so, I am planning on wait and contact congress person again.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Pankaj

pankajkandhari said:
Thanks for all your replies.. my wife went to philly office through this info-pass to meet immigration officer. But to be honest they treat you like dirt. They do not care. She went in 7:15 and 7:22 she was in car driving so you can imagine it was less than 5 mins when this is supposed to be 15 mins.

Anyway, she said it is the FBI name check and INS cannot do anything about it. Now the bigger problem is, if this is not done before November then fingerprints will expire as they expire after 15 months. This is what immigration officer said.

So, basically there is nothing we can do but wait. I am frustrated with this and I might even drag them to court but for next month or so, I am planning on wait and contact congress person again.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Pankaj
In the worse case you have to stay here illegally for a period of time. But it is forgiven for a spouse of a USC, once your wife become USC and applied for your GC. Thing is, you will not be able to leave the country until you get the GC in your hand. Ofcourse I am not suggesting you to overstay your visa. This is just a worst case scenario I am talking about.

going back to school

Just my 2 cents ...
Is it possible for you to get admission in to another major or higher degree in college and going back to F-1 until your issues resolved. I am unaware of changes after 9/11 in the F-1 VISA. I have known people doing this before.

amishah said:
In the worse case you have to stay here illegally for a period of time. But it is forgiven for a spouse of a USC, once your wife become USC and applied for your GC. Thing is, you will not be able to leave the country until you get the GC in your hand. Ofcourse I am not suggesting you to overstay your visa. This is just a worst case scenario I am talking about.

Why not get a job with H1-B visa or get in another study program to maintain the F-1 visa?

sg_orl said:
Why not get a job with H1-B visa or get in another study program to maintain the F-1 visa?
I know it can be happen and that is the best idea. I am just talking about the WORST CASE SCENARIO.