Interview day questions

VA2

Registered Users (C)
I have several interview Day questions, any help will be helpful.

My interview date in Chinnai is on the 21st Jan 2004. @ 10:00 am:

Question 1:
When is a good time to at the gate of the US embassy?

I’m assuming I will meet the consular officer at 10:00 am and I would need to come earlier to hand the documents and fill out forms.

I’m thinking of coming at 8:00 am at the gate, will that be too early?

Question 2:
When I went to my blood tests at Lister labs and medical tests with Dr.VijayaLaxmi I had to give immigration style photos to both of them, which I did not expect, but as a result I have only 3 immigration
style photos left. Do I need more? Can anyone tell me where to get them in Chinnai?

Question 3:
My blood test took place on the 14th morning and I visited the doctor the same day evening. The doctor (Dr.Vijaylaxmi) said since everything is negative the packet is unsealed, is that all right?

Question 4:
All the medical forms have been dated for the 14th Jan (7 days before the appointment). Is that all right? I run into the “maximum limit of 6 month” problem when trying to get the police clearance certificate, so I don’t want to take any chances with the matters related to time. So is 7 days a good time for medical tests?

Question 5:
My birth Certificate does not have my name, so as per requirement I got a affidavit made out by my parents. That was made in May (8 months before the interview) will that be a problem. Again I’m paranoid because of the 6 month deal with the PCC (see above)

Question 6:
My medical test was uneventful with all negatives. But I have been getting progressively sick since arriving in India and after the tests. I’m not sure, what it is (maybe the weather) but have been developing fever and cold and a lot of cough. I’m hopeful I will be at least presentable when I go to my interview. Should I be worried?

Question 7:
Hopefully my interview will be without any surprises? I feel like that, because like most people in these forums, it is pretty straightforward with no complications (No dependents, employed with the same (very large) company for 4 years, have all original W2’s, photo copies of tax forms…etc) . So if I assume no problems, I have no clue on the procedures after the interview. Can anyone please help me with that.

What do I do after the interview?

Will my passport be given to me immediately, I think I read some where that it will it be sent by mail to my address in Hyderabad but I’m not sure?

I’m leaving next day evening to Hyderabad (22nd Jan) is that all right? Do I need to stay longer?

BTW: If my case sounds a reltive fimiliar to people on the forum, it is because of the thread:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=106746

I’m VA2, I arrived in Madras on the 14th morning (couldn’t get tickets for any other dates). Got my blood tests and medical exam done the same day and instead of staying in Madras for the next 6 uneventful days came to Hyderabad and planning to return Chinnai on 20th evening.

Thanks for your time.

Vijay

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by VA2
I have several interview Day questions, any help will be helpful.

My interview date in Chinnai is on the 21st Jan 2004. @ 10:00 am:

Question 1:
When is a good time to at the gate of the US embassy?

{I think they allow the IV appointment holders at 8.00AM.
So, 8.00AM or slightly before is fine}

I’m assuming I will meet the consular officer at 10:00 am and I would need to come earlier to hand the documents and fill out forms.

I’m thinking of coming at 8:00 am at the gate, will that be too early?

{As above}

Question 2:
When I went to my blood tests at Lister labs and medical tests with Dr.VijayaLaxmi I had to give immigration style photos to both of them, which I did not expect, but as a result I have only 3 immigration
style photos left. Do I need more? Can anyone tell me where to get them in Chinnai?

{I do not know why you had to use the Immigration style
photos for medicals. Normal passports would have been
sufficient. Anyway, one of the good places to get them is
Konica Labs opp. Chola Sharaton Hotel. This is within a short
distance from the Consulate}

Question 3:
My blood test took place on the 14th morning and I visited the doctor the same day evening. The doctor (Dr.Vijaylaxmi) said since everything is negative the packet is unsealed, is that all right?

{Some physicians give sealed packets and others keep it
open. It does not matter}

Question 4:
All the medical forms have been dated for the 14th Jan (7 days before the appointment). Is that all right? I run into the “maximum limit of 6 month” problem when trying to get the police clearance certificate, so I don’t want to take any chances with the matters related to time. So is 7 days a good time for medical tests?

{No problem}

Question 5:
My birth Certificate does not have my name, so as per requirement I got a affidavit made out by my parents. That was made in May (8 months before the interview) will that be a problem. Again I’m paranoid because of the 6 month deal with the PCC (see above)

{Unlike the PCC, the affidavits are not time sensitive, so
once taken they are good for ever}

Question 5:
My medical test was uneventful with all negatives. But I have been getting progressively sick since arriving in India and after the tests. I’m not sure, what it is (maybe the weather) but have been developing fever and cold and a lot of cough. I’m hopeful I will be at least presentable when I go to my interview. Should I be worried?

{I don't know what you were expecting to hear, other than
wishes to 'get better' }

Question 6:
Hopefully my interview will be without any surprises? I feel like that, because like most people in these forums, it is pretty straightforward with no complications (No dependents, employed with the same (very large) company for 4 years, have all original W2’s, photo copies of tax forms…etc) . So if I assume no problems, I have no clue on the procedures after the interview. Can anyone please help me with that.

{Never thought dependents are a complication!

After the inverview the consular officer would tell his decision
about the issue of VISA and that you would get it in courier.
There is nothing else for you to do}

What do I do after the interview?

{A good suggestion would be to go out and enjoy the
excellent Indian food you get in Chennai. Look for other
suggestions!}

Will my passport be given to me immediately, I think I read some where that it will it be sent by mail to my address in Hyderabad but I’m not sure?

{If you are asking about this, can I assume you do not know
that the passport and visa are sent by courier service and
you need to carry a demand draft for the charges ?

The visa and passport will be sent to address of your
choice ( the address in Chennai where you stay or your
address in Hyderabad). This will arrive the next day at
both the places. It will be your choice where to get it.

Carry a demand draft as follows:

DD in favor of 'Blue Dart Express Ltd., payable at Chennai.

Amount: Rs. 300 + (no. of applicants * Rs.50). }

I’m leaving next day evening to Hyderabad (22nd Jan) is that all right? Do I need to stay longer?

{Based on your choice,you will get your visa packet at
about 2.00PM in Chennai. }

BTW: If my case sounds a reltive fimiliar to people on the forum, it is because of the thread:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=106746

I’m VA2, I arrived in Madras on the 14th morning (couldn’t get tickets for any other dates). Got my blood tests and medical exam done the same day and instead of staying in Madras for the next 6 uneventful days came to Hyderabad and planning to return Chinnai on 20th evening.

Thanks for your time.

Vijay

{my responses}

Raju

VA:

Hope things have gone well @ your cp interview! I understand it was on 1/21/04....provide updates when you get a chance!

Sorry for the late update, I just came back to Hyderabad. My Interview was successful. Thanks to everyone for their help. I would like to specially thank kd1403 and Raju595 for many of their answers and also the last minute clarifications that started off this thread.

There was only one hiccup, all immigration style photos I took with me to the interview were told to be incorrect. I was specifically told to go to Foto India, 2 blocks away on the other side of Anna Salai on Nungambakkam road. In fact almost everyone coming for their immigrant visa interview were told the exact same thing and studio was packed for most of the morning with people seeking these photos.

I waited an extra day in Chennai and got the passport delivered to my hotel, it came in promptly at 11 am the next day.. I will be posting a more detailed note on my experience in the coming days. I’m thinking of waiting till I finish my formalities on POE. I will be glad to answer any questions in the meanwhile. Also, any suggestions for POE and plastic card process are welcome.

Can you please give more details about the medicals and Dr. Vijaya Lakshmi. Does she accept vaccinations from US.

Did they ask for Immigration style photos or you gave?

Were you sent to Photo India beforwe or after Interview.

Thanks in advance.

VA2:

Congratulations on your successful interview. Nice to hear that you had ONLY one hiccup.

No special instructions for POE/ plastic card other than when you are ready to immigrate stand in the SHORT GC holder/ Citizens line (in absence of GC line)

USA04,

I did not have any vaccinations from the US A, so I'm not sure if she accepts them or not.

About my vaccinations I took 3 of them in India in 1994 when I first entered US A (as student) and during that process a Indian government document called "International Booklet of Vaccinations" was given to me by the hospital people (NIMS, Hyderabad) and she was satisfied after looking at it and did not recommend any further vaccinations there.

FYI the above mentioned booklet covered vaccinations for MMR, Cholera and Tetanus. I also showed her a scar of my small pox infection in childhood, so those were enough to ensure I did not have to get any new vaccinations from her.

So considering that I would feel she would probably not have any problems if you show proof of vaccinations in the USA.

Yes, she would need immigration style photographs only, so I would recommend that you take at least 4 with you (for Doctor's visit and the interview).

You would also need a passport style photograph for your blood tests at Lister Labs.

I was sent to Foto India before the interview with the US consular officer but after the initial collection of my documents by the consulate employee (Indian).

It is not fun walking through traffic to get to the studio. So I would suggest you go there the day before and have the photographs handy before your appointment.

Hope that helps.

VA2,

Is it true that Dr. V doesn't accept passport size normal photographs? I was thinking that she accepts them.

BTW, Where are you now? Are you back to US?

cpzinga,

Well, for me she insisted on immigration style photographs only and that is the same one she put on the form with the envelope to be given to the embassy people. So I would say that is Dr.Vijayalaxmi's policy.

I'm back in the US,
POE : Houston, DOE: 9th Feb 2004.

Very uneventful experiance, everything went smoothly.