Interview based on marriage to a USC

futcitizen

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have my interview on Nov 8th in Newark NJ. I have filed based on marriage to a USC. For the interview do I need to carry my spouse's birth certificate or is her passport sufficient as proof of her citizenship. Her passport was renewed/issued in Oct 2001? Just want to confirm if the birth certificate is an essential document for the interview. Any body with experience on this??

TIA - futcitizen

I don't have any experience, but I would brin the birth certificate.
I think they actually ask you to take it to the interview. Good luck.

bring everything

my USC spouse got citizenship by naturalization so instead of birth certifcate, i bring his naturalization certificate. I thought it is sufficent but the officer also asked for his passport...end up i need to mail back a copy of his passport (all pages include blank pages) and that delay the process...
so you never know what document would satisfy the officer...if i were you, i will bring everything...
good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my interview yesterday, and my husband got his citizenship thru naturalization as well. In my application I only sent a copy of his naturalization certificate. The officer didn't ask for anything else than my passport, green card and driving licence. But I guess, from my experience with immigration, its the best policy to be prepared with everything, so bring anything you have: marriage certificate, naturalization certificate, both passports, taxes, mortgage or rental in both names, and any original document you used to support your application, or may be relevant to your application. It really depends on your interviewing officer what documents he/she may ask for.
Good luck.