Interview at NEWARK AND APPROVAL

nagsp

Registered Users (C)
WE MADE IT GUYS!! WE GOT THE GC.

A big thanks for July16 for all the input on Friday.

Here goes today's story:

We (wife and myself) made it to Newark at 9:15 am. The interview was scheduled for 9:45 am. We stood in the line for Immigration with appointment. The line was not too long, but the security check was taking forever. Hence got in the building only after 10:30 am. On a cold fall morning here in NJ and the wind blowing, it was a hard wait.

Room 1300 is on the 13th floor. We submitted the Interview letter. Was asked if a lawyer would be present and replied negative.

At 11:15 am we were called for the interview by the officer a old man(grumpy). He wanted a bunch of documents nothing out of the ordinary like passports, H1-B, I-94, BC, MC, EAD, etc. Next he wanted to know if I was still working for the same compay. I said yes.

The plot now twists. Do you have an Affidavit of Support(I-864) for my wife was his question. I gave him the I-864 and also told that my lawyer had told me that it is not required as the case is employment based. His reply was, it is not for me but for any dependents. He was very happy to see that I did have the document.

Next he wanted to see our tax returns. I gave him the 1040's for the last 4 yrs. Again he was happy to see them. He said he wanted copies of these returns. We had none. He asked us to go to the IRS office (same building) and get the 1040's for the last 3 yrs. This took about 30 minutes.

He again called us in to his office and stamped the passports. He said the actual GC will come in 3-9 months. We were out of the building at 12:30 pm a very happy couple. Phew

Side Notes:

Take ALL documents even if not asked for. He wanted to see the SSN cards. Like I said before he was very grumpy. Tax documents an absolute must and the I-864.

All in all not much of a problem. We had been to the same office twice for AP and hence knew what to expect. AP is issued on the same floor.

Thanks for all your input and the Best of Luck to all of you.
nagsp.

Last edited by a moderator:
nagsp
First, enjoy your freedom.
My interview date will be Nov,12, 8.12AM at Newark. I am asked to bring the I94 and medical. My lawyer said that's all do I need to bring with me to interview. My last medical report will not exceed 15 months at Nov,12. So do I need to redo? The INS send me the new medical form. My GC is based on the future employment. Appreciate your suggestion.
Thanks

If you look on the INS website under the forms section, the medical form says that the medical is valid only for 12 months.

Yesterday they did not ask for new medical results though our medical was done on 30th June 2001(more than 15 months). We gave the new medical results and they took it.

So my advise is if u want to play it safe then do the medical. Like I said before the Affidavit of Support (I-864) was the one they requested for.

I-864 is very simple. Just download a copy from the INS website and fill it up for spouse and kids. Then go to your bank and get it notarized.

Nagsp

Are you still on this board

Hey Nagsp,

Did he really looked all the papers you gave him or he just took it and put on the side. Also, did he ask 1040 for federal or both for state and federal. Actually, my compnay had a head office in MD and they gave me 6 month pay stub from MD in place of NJ. My H1 was from NJ. I hope this don't create problem for me.

Thanks,

Tax Docs.

Unfortunately I got an RFE. I still don't know the details. But, if it is for tax returns, I did n't keep copies of my 1040s. And some one on this forum suggested that we can request tax return transcripts (computer printouts) from IRS which I am going to do do now. Does any one know these are acceptable by INS? Or do I need to request for copies of Orignal 1040s that I submitted ? They take 2 months (based on IRS instructions) to arrive. Where as transcripts take only 10 days.

Please help me..!!

Regards