International travel out of New York: Baggage regulations

WheresMahGreen

Registered Users (C)
Hi all!
One of my friends just informed me that the new security regulations at the US airports require that you DON'T LOCK the checked in baggage. It seems they should be able to open and inspect at anytime. Apparently, the reports of convicted felons working as baggage screeners and handlers at the airports haven't reached these stupid people yet! And, also the fact that it will be an open invitation for the baggage handlers and screeners in some countries has escaped them. Does anyone have any experience with this new "development?" If yes, please share it here.
Thanks in advance!

This has been in effect for several months now. My wife and I arrived in JFK after a trip to China last February. We came back on AP, and while awaiting the dreaded "secondary inspection" which took 45 minutes, our locked suitcase was taken off the carrel, the lock busted and then it was left open on the floor. Welcome to the USA!

I have the same concern

I am planning on travelling to India in a month or so and I am worried about the same. I am worried that my bag will be empty by the time it reaches Delhi.

I probably will not carry anything other than used underwears in my baggage. I dont know what elese to do. May be I am too sceptical. But I had such experiences before.

It seems after baggage check they will put some kind of color coded tags. They are just plastic tags.

So anyone who travlled please shed some light on your experiences.

thanks

Originally posted by WheresMahGreen
Hi all!
One of my friends just informed me that the new security regulations at the US airports require that you DON'T LOCK the checked in baggage. It seems they should be able to open and inspect at anytime. Apparently, the reports of convicted felons working as baggage screeners and handlers at the airports haven't reached these stupid people yet! And, also the fact that it will be an open invitation for the baggage handlers and screeners in some countries has escaped them. Does anyone have any experience with this new "development?" If yes, please share it here.
Thanks in advance!
When my parents left for India(Bombay) in Dec last, we had the same problem. But luckily we came to know abt it after reading abt it at the Dulles Airport website and got ourselves prepared for the worst. Don't put any expensive items in the check in's. You cannot lock it, but you are allowed to tie it with string/rope, so that even if they mishandle ur baggage, it will not flung open. But, luckily nothing (no burglary :D etc.,) happened and everything were fine.
My 2 cents.

Nothing new

Nothing new here. The rule has been in place since Jan 2003. TSA requires that you do not lock your lugage, on any flights (domestic or international).
I travel a lot and thank goodness, I haven't got any probems with my luggage so far. When they had to open the bag, they put a note telling you that they had hand-inspected your bag.

Gc131/GC012002/Roran

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.
I am considering carrying my lock for one of the bags with me anyhow. Perhaps I can request the screener to handcheck it in addition to preliminary machine screening and then lock it. It maybe hard to reason with those numbnuts, but I'll give it a shot. With some freak luck, they might just understand that there is another leg of the journey and I'd like some guarantees regarding the safety of the contents.

Immigration at JFK is worst..........

My advise to those who want to travel to india using Air India or invite their parents from india in any of Indian Airlines..............At JFK they treat passangers from india and specially on indian airlines like animal. My parents just recently fly from New Delhi and gone through some worst experience at airport. They also had few bad lucks and promised not to come here anymore. I know old folks but they think America has been changed and people are also not the same friendly they used to be.......

When my parents left for India 2 weeks ago, one of their bags appeared to have been tampered with. They were quite concerned. I figured this to have happened just by fluke, but now that you guys are mentioning about "no locks on checked baggage" , I think they might have opened the bag forcefully as it was locked.

when i went to london this past christmas, i was told not to lock my luggage. fortunately the pressies are all accounted for and were all in one piece. same thing when coming back. didn't see any special sticky indicating that they checked luggage.