Interim EAD

Openarms

Registered Users (C)
Is Baltimore Maryland office giving interim EAD's for people who are in limbo of not getting EAD's before the expiring the current EAD?

how do you know? USCIS website still says it and you can read on the ead application form it self.

On the instructions for filing I-765 available on USCIS website at :
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765instr.pdf

On page 1 and page 12 following is written :

On page 1:
Interim EAD: An EAD issued to an eligible applicant whenUSCIS has failed to adjudicate an application within 90 daysof receipt of a properly filed EAD application or within 30days of a properly filed initial EAD application based on an asylum application filed on or after January 4, 1995. Theinterim EAD will be granted for a period not to exceed 240days and is subject to the conditions noted on the document.

On page 12:
Interim EAD. If you have not received a decision within90 days of receipt by USCIS of a properly filed EADapplication or within 30 days of a properly filed initial EAD application based on an asylum application filed on or afterJanuary 4, 1995, you may obtain interim work authorizationby appearing in person at your local USCIS district office.You must bring proof of identity and any notices that you havereceived from USCIS in connection with your application foremployment authorization.

Last edited by a moderator:
While Page 1 content is still valid Page 12 content is overwritten by August 2006 Memo to USCIS District officers.

But you can still get Interim EAD, the only glitch is that local offices are prohibited from issuing interim EAD's. They make a request to a office where your EAD renewal is pending for more than 90 days. So, it is up to that source office to adjudicate pending EAD or issue interim EAD. The trend is that VSC is prompt with these emails and usually approves within two weeks and sends the new card ( either interimEAD or EAD). Looks like TSC takes time. We have asked for interim EAD on October 22nd and no news or updates or nothing in email or mailbox. We were asked to come back to local office if we do not receive any response in two weeks.

On page 1 at top right hand corner of instructions for filing I-765, following is written :

"OMB No. 1615-0040; Expires 08/31/08"

This document should represent latest.But on the field we may experience different implementations as sugggested by aforesaid personal experience.

I asked my lawyer, she said the Interim EAD was no longer available this summer

I asked my lawyer's office about the interim EAD, Her assistant said the Interim EAD was no longer available this summer, though not sure when exactly.

I am planning to apply EAD 4-5 months ahead, just assume this is true.

Please note I have not find any official documents saying about interim EAD, so make your own judgement.