Interim EAD experience in Miami

GK1999

Registered Users (C)
My EAD is going to expire on 12/13/02 and planning to go to Miami INS office to apply for an Interim EAD. So if anyone has any experiences in Miami office, pls post it here. Your input is helpful.

INS EXPERIENCE IN MIAMI

Hi, I got my interim EAD a month back , this was my experience , hope this helps

1) Get there as early as possible ( we go there around 3:00 AM) as there is a long line .

2) There will be three lines there , ask for the one for General enquiry ( this is the longest one ) .

3) you can Park your car in one the parking available ( $10 for the day )

4) Take food and drinks with you ( specially if you are a vegeatarian ,as the wait is really long )

5)They open the counters around seven , so if you go real early , you will be in around 10:00 AM , there is another hour wait inside .

6) when you finally reach the counter they look at your papers to check whether 90 days have passed , if yes ,they give you another form and also an appointment to get your EAD after two days .

This is the end of the ordeal for the first day.

The second day you go and stand in the appointment line , you can reach aroun 7:00AM , then you go to the second floor , where they check your papers , don't forget to take a copy of your 485 along with your EAD receipt , they take your photograph and give you the EAD right then ( this process takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours)

Thanks for your info.

Actually I need to apply for both of us my wife and myself, which we filed together. Looks like it is going to be waste for the first day to take my wife with me. And seems not a good idea to carry small kids (21/2 yr daughter) over there due to the long wait.

So my question is, can I get an appointment for my wife and myself on my first trip to there by going alone? Or my only appointment is enough for both of us to get an interim EAD on the second day.

Appreciate your help.

I am planning to go next Monday

Hi, good morning.
My current EAD is going to expire on 12/20/02. My ND to renew the EAD is 09/05/02, so it has been more than 90 days. I called my lawyer this Monday about getting an interium EAD from Miami. My lawyer told me he is going to get me a pass from Miami INS. My lawyer called me back yesterday saying that he already get a pass for me yesterday (Thursday). He also told me that he got a parking permit for me. He said I can go there any time today or anyday of next week except Wednesday. I asked him do I need to be there very early, like 5:00 AM in the morning, he said it's not necessary, since he already get a pass for me. He told me to bring my current EAD and Driver license, he already prepared everything for me (I765 form, copy of my receipt of I765 filed to Texas, copy of my I485 receipt). My lawyer's office is just across the street of Miami INS. He told me to pick up all the documents and INS pass from his office Monday morning at 9:00 AM, and I can just walk across the street to INS to get the Interium EAD.
I am not sure what's the pass really means, is it a kind of appointment? I remember when I talk to my lawyer this Monday (not 90 days yet at that time), he said he can only get the pass when it's 90 days after of my I765 receipt, I guess in order for him to get a pass for me, he need to show the INS my I765 receipt.
Anyway, I trust what my lawyer said, so far he hasn't disappointed me yet.

Hi,
well if you have a lawyer like maomao88 has , then nothing like it , but my lawyer did not give me such a good option , else would not have stood in the line for so long, incase your lawyer too does not give the option , then what you can do is ask your wife to join you later in the day, which is what i did , she can come in around 8:30 - 9:00 thereby avoiding the wait , but both of you have to be there to get the appointment .

hope this helps.

Thanks to all

Not every lawyer like yours. You've got a good one. My lawyer didn't even send the EAD receipts to me yet. And saying that your case will be approved before that and it prevents you to go there. I don't know, but I have to wait until I get the receipts in hand next week and guess I may go to Miami office on Wednesday and then I will post my experience.

May I know why your lawyer said not go on Wednesday?

One more thanks to Agni.

Hi,
Wed is an off day at the Miami office , they are not open to the public that day .

I got me interim EAD yesterday

Hi, good morning. I got my interim EAD from Miami INS yesterday (Monday). I arrived at my lawyer's office at 9:00AM to pick up the INS pass for EAD. The pass was just a piece of paper, which had my name on it, and stated that I can go to Room 240 in any of the following 10 days from 12/05/02 (which was the date my lawyer got the pass for me) except wednesday between 8:00AM and 11:00 AM to get my EAD renewed. I got to Miami INS' Room 240 at about 9:30 AM. dropped the pass and other documents at Window #8, and waited in the room for more than one hour until I heard my name was being called, I signed the signature card and printed my finger at the counter, and waited for a while to be called to take a picture, then waited for another 15 minutes to pick up the EAD card, I got out of the INS at about 12:00AM.
While I was waiting, I saw a note on a board which said that the attorney inquiries of EAD are only processed on Tuesday and Thursday, this note reminded me that my lawyer did tell me that he can only go to the INS to get the pass for me on Tuesday or Thursday.
My suggestion is that try to get a pass before you go, then you don't need to wait in a line in the early morning, and you can get the EAD card on the same day.
Hope my experience will be helpful

EAD approved

Before proceeding to Miami, I decided to call TSC to check my status of it. So I talked to an IIO on yesterday and she said my EAD has been approved. The online status check is not yet updated.

Thanks again for your info.

I spoke to Maomao88's lawyer and as per him Miami office will issue iEAD s only for the ones living in the area that comes under their jurisdiction.I live in Jacksonville and I am not sure if they issue iEADs in Jax nowadays.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
sxpat jacksonville is not crowded nowdays. You should be able to find out... Miami is the district office, if it is refused in Jacksonville, you should be able to get in Miami for sure...

Thanks jaxen,

I need to go to Jax officee and trty out for iEAD. I have a recently extended H1 with the company that sponsoreed my GC and my new H1 is valid for another 2 years.I donot know if I will be able to convince them to get iEAD as I applied my 485/EAD on October 30th , 2002. My concern is that if I am out of project my employer wont pay bench salary as with many other consulting companies .I will try my luck for iEAD at jax soon.