• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Interesting Thesis on Diversity Visa

Thanks hexa for ur link its surelly an intersting document to read.
by the way I suscribed in 1995 for the dv and we sent letters to kcc
We were 6 to to do that and than came other friend and he started laughing
At us and he said that just can't be true but it was advertised on the daily newspaper
So we conviced him to participate ! End of the he won it and he lives in
Menisota until today lucky fish:)
I been trying for 18 years at last I'm in thanks god. Hope I will part of the stastic of
The dv winners like presented in ur link.reading about dv lottery has been a passion
For me since all those years so again thanks for ur link .

Thanks hexa for ur link its surelly an intersting document to read.
by the way I suscribed in 1995 for the dv and we sent letters to kcc
We were 6 to to do that and than came other friend and he started laughing
At us and he said that just can't be true but it was advertised on the daily newspaper
So we conviced him to participate ! End of the he won it and he lives in
Menisota until today lucky fish:)
I been trying for 18 years at last I'm in thanks god. Hope I will part of the stastic of
The dv winners like presented in ur link.reading about dv lottery has been a passion
For me since all those years so again thanks for ur link .

I've been trying off and on since 2000, during the day when it was all done by paper mail. A friend of mine from Pakistan told me about it, and he said people back home used to send like a hundred envelopes per person, drastically increasing their odds of winning. I guess Pakistan got so successful (sending more than 50,000 people in 5 years) that it's no longer eligible for DV since 2002.

I never really put much thought into the lottery because I knew the chance of winning was slim. I would put a little effort (about an hour) each year into producing the required digital pictures, which typically involves taking them using my digital camera or smartphone, then editing them to size. Once the electronic form was filled and the pictures uploaded, I would simply forget about it. There was even one year when I lost the confirmation number, and I just didn't bother to worry about it. Perhaps I won that year without ever knowing it, but now it doesn't matter.

When I entered DV in 2011 I was well on my way to get employment-based GC, but since the wait time was a full six years I figured what the heck, I'll just keep doing DV. My wife was grumbling about me taking her picture at the last moment when she wasn't prepared, because then she'd look less than gorgeous in it, especially for a stupid lottery that we never won anyway. I swear, she looks visibly upset in that picture, the very picture attached to the winning entry! Now it's an inside joke in the family, that if you want to win DV you gotta frown in your picture.

When I checked the entry in 2012 I saw that letter with the blue eagle logo, and I couldn't believe it. I read it slowly, word by word, at least half a dozen times. It says 'selectee' not 'winner', so I clicked the link to the selectee page and read it top to bottom, all the way to the end. I only let my wife know when I'm fully convinced that we really got it (like half an hour later).

I knew someone who won years ago when it was paper-based. Funnily enough, a bit like Hexa in a way, I only started entering after our family-based immigrant petition was approved and then realised it would take something close to 10 years to get current (F3). Entered dv2010, missed out on dv2011 as tried to enter at the last minute and the system kept crashing, then dv2012 and 2013... So it was really was 3rd time lucky! I was also totally expecting to see another NOT BEEN SELECTED message.... But in a little over 2 months' time we'll be landing in the US to activate our green cards!

Uau! Those are inspiring stories! I hope I will be able to tell mine if my interview next month is successfull... my story of how I won the lottery after many years, having entered in the last minute (literally, just few hours before deadline), and how I "discovered" I was selected one night after a very hard day. Let's hope :)

I love hearing the stories :) I also imagine a morning (I think it is often during our early hours, around 3am) when I check it and don't see the "not selected". I don't know what the success page looks like but I imagine what it might :) We continue on with our lives and know we have other less permanent options to move to the US and live and work, but the DV is always an option I like to enter.

I think I am so used to the 'not selected' that I would be stunned if it was any different lol

Q

I got my green card, now i am officially permanent in this beautiful country

U words sounds like a favorite beautiful song in my head lol
I don't know for u guys but the pressure is terrible by me, the waiting game is eating my brain
:( how do u guys cope with it ?

U words sounds like a favorite beautiful song in my head lol
I don't know for u guys but the pressure is terrible by me, the waiting game is eating my brain
:( how do u guys cope with it ?

Just trying to fade out :).

To be serious, I can't. Even when I spend a lot of time for work and some hobbies I need to check this and other forums just to see what's going on around me regarding theGC processing. The only good thing is, I'm not alone ;)

Still waiting from month to month around the 10th to get the next cut offs. That's my circle of life right now.

Best regards
Mike

Just trying to fade out :).

To be serious, I can't. Even when I spend a lot of time for work and some hobbies I need to check this and other forums just to see what's going on around me regarding theGC processing. The only good thing is, I'm not alone ;)

Still waiting from month to month around the 10th to get the next cut offs. That's my circle of life right now.

Best regards
Mike

Haha ur not alone I'm sure is plainty of us lol
I got about 16 friends that win the dv after all those years and I come for a small place , I just can't wait to be one of them I travelled in europe africa made lot of adventures in my life but the usa trip will the final and the best of all I just can't wait my cn no is to high :( I pray everyday so that I can make it I read all the threads kenyans, nigerians, europians.... My wife is even complaining about me neglecting her for internet dv stuff specially that she's pregnant now and I have to redo the whole process aplication sending to kcc !!!!! I think I'm losing I check everyday the confirmatin letter I got copies of the ones I sent to kcc I recheck them again every day to look for any mistakes thanks god there isn't but just shows u how obsessed I am ant the dv .....
The pressure is still growing and its getting worse and worse ......
I just wanna close my eyes and see my self in kansas