"Interesting" family experience at Toronto POE

wik

Registered Users (C)
It's been a while since I've posted a new thread on these boards, but I thought I'd share my experience traveling by air through the Toronto POE back to the USA this week.

The day before my flight (on United), I went online in Canada to print out the boarding passes for myself (US LPR and Canadian Citizen), wife (US LPR and British Citizen) and two daughters (US Citizens).

I was able to print the boarding passes for myself and my two daughters, but not my wife. The United Web site requires (correctly) passport and Permanent Resident (A#) information for travelers -- when I entered mine, there was no problem. When I entered my wife's, I was directed to a page that said she needed evidence of return or onward travel. This was an obvious error as she had valid LPR status, like me, and a valid A#. Nevertheless, the United Web site refused to let me check her in.

We had been on vacation in Canada for 12 days at that point, originating our travel from our home in the USA. We've both had our green cards for 5 years, and always maintained proper residence in the USA.

Naturally, I called United Airlines and asked what was up? As an LPR, she did not need evidence of onward or return travel. The polite woman at United said she wasn't sure of the issue. It could be that the computer has selected her at random, requiring her to present her documents in person to United (which sounded bogus, as she'd have to present them to the IO anyway) or because she and one of my daughters were on a separate record locator from myself and my other daughter (we booked separately, because we used air miles for my wife's and one of my daughters tickets).

Thus, we had to line up at YYZ and check my wife in. She obtained her ticket there from United with no issues.

During the POE inspection, the IO was extremely polite, and even joked with our young daughters. I had not traveled to Canada since the fingerprinting/photo rules went into effect with LPRs.

My Canadian passport and green card, and my daughter's US passports were briefly examined and handed back. My wife's British passport and green card took several minutes. There seemed to be a lot of scanning and typing and looking at screens by the IO. Then my wife was asked to provide fingerprints and have her photo taken. My wife is not on a 'no fly list' and has never had issues traveling in the past five years with her green card.

We were then cleared without issue to pass through security and board the plane, etc.

Two things surprised me by this situation:

1) My suspicion about our inability to check in online is that my wife was on a British passport traveling from a third country (Canada) back to the USA. That is why the United system wouldn't process her ticket online -- not because she was on a 'free' (i.e., paid for by miles ticket) or was selected 'at random.'

2) I thought ALL LPRs were subject to fingerprinting and photos at POEs now. Does this not apply to Canadian Citizens holding LPR status? I was not fingerprinted or photographed.

In any event, the IO was very courteous, professional and even had a sense of humor. The situation overall was mildly annoying, but not unpleasant.

Anyone else with theories about what goes on with pre-flight inspection at YYZ?

_wik

2) I thought ALL LPRs were subject to fingerprinting and photos at POEs now. Does this not apply to Canadian Citizens holding LPR status? I was not fingerprinted or photographed.

I'm in the same boat as you. Canadian citizen with LPR status and was not fingerprinted or photographed on my last trip (July '09) to Canada.

I assume an exception was made?

mdh

Many of the rules regarding Canadians entering the US are different from rules applicable to other citizens. Maybe the no-fingerprinting is one of them.

Canadians (whether or not they are LPRs) are NOT subject to US-VISIT, with very few exceptions. All other non-USCs are subject to US-VISIT, regardless of LPR status, again with very few exceptions.

Thus, as far as US-VISIT is concerned, it is easier to be a non-LPR Canadian than a LPR from another country.

Source:
http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0695.shtm