Interesting citizenship numbers

I-485 applications - 6 fold increase in July!

I-485 applications have increased too. Here it is fom Mathew Oh's excellent web site:

The final tally has yet to be completed, but according to the New York Times, the USCIS received more than 300,000 applications. The report indicates that the agency has received about 300,000 applications July 1, accoridng to the USCIS sources, but at the time of the news media's contact yesterday, the USCIS was still receiving applications for employment visas . Consequently, the total tally of applications received in the last six weeks was yet to be made available. Reportedly the USCIS was swamped by the applications it had already received, which was more than double the annual limit of 140,000 employment visas. As we reported earlier, in the three months before July the agency received an average of 54,700 applications a month for I-485 applications including employment based as well as family based.

I think its about time! I've read through much of this forum and almost the entire USCIS website. There are 9-12 million legal immigrants in this country. Of that portion a large percentage have been here for too long to sit around and wait another year considering all of the immigration issues, many of which can apply for benefits, and the upcoming election, I think that the pot has boiled. The pressure has reached its limit. I know in my case, I will not be disenfranchised during the next election as many people were in many states but specially Florida. No more second class citizenship. I hope the events surrounding the incomprehensible number of applications serves as notice that people will no longer be silent. I think that the fee hikes was the perfect thing to unite to.

Increase in fees, mixed signals from 2 year senate debate on immigration and election year all are adding to these. I came across numbers in 1999, 2000 and the number of naturalization applications were quite high back then as well. As i said election year and thats why politicians who would be following these numbers much closely will reach out to growing Hispanic voters.

BTW huracan, thanks for the graph. Its interesting and i never found it before.Lets keep this discussion rolling as otherwise we never whats happening with this USCIS.

The thing is we are all together for the long haul. Most of the new citizens will get passports at the same time and then renewals will be aligned for ever so the agencies will keep getting these increased applications each decade. A very funny thought.

In addition to fee hike, another factor is 9/11.
Yes, terrorists and legal immigrants are connected :)
To be specific: right after 9/11 all INS service centers were closed for 6-9 months to "improve their processes" or whatever was the reason for that.
And 3-5 years from that time we should see the increase in N-400 application from people who were waiting extra time from INS to get the green cards (yeah, I know it has been ~6 years ago, but 485 was taking 2.5 years around that time).
Because of 9/11 my 485 was delayed by 6-12 months, which was the reason that I've applied in 01/07 instead of spring / summer 06.