Interesting Article

GCHopeless

Registered Users (C)
The is a report that will be aired on 60 Minutes this Sunday (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/25/60minutes/main526954.shtml). It says the FBI deliberately creates backlog of their work so to get more money and staff. I pasted the article below. By the same token, don't you think the INS may also be doing the same thing?
I have always been wondering how can as simple an application as I-485 take more than a year to get adjudicated? I am sure I can do at least 50 a day.

----------------
(CBS) Just when information from terrorism suspects needed urgent translation right after the Sept. 11 attack, the FBI unit that did that work deliberately slowed down to create a backlog that might win the unit more money and staff.

That’s what a former translator who worked at the FBI tells Ed Bradley on 60 Minutes this Sunday, Oct. 27, at 7 PM, ET/PT.

Sibel Edmonds, hired as a translator of Turkish and other Middle Eastern languages after Sept. 11, has filed a whistleblower lawsuit against the FBI, which she claims fired her for bringing the corruption to light. “Let the documents pile up so we can show it and say that we need more translators and expand the department,” Edmonds says one of her supervisors urged.

When Edmonds wasn’t slowing down enough, that supervisor forced her by deleting her work, she says. “The next day I would come to work and the translation would be gone,” she tells Bradley. Edmonds says when she confronted the supervisor, “He said, ‘Consider it a lesson and don’t talk about it to anybody else and don’t mention it.’”

It was frustrating for Edmonds, she says, because the agents who needed the translations were working hard. “The first two months after the September 11 event…[The agents] were working around the clock…I would receive calls from these people saying, ‘Would you please prioritize this and translate it?” she says.

Edmonds was fired after bringing these and other charges to the attention of FBI supervisors and a top official in the bureau. She then went to Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee that oversees the FBI.

“She’s credible and the reason I feel she’s very credible is because people within the FBI have corroborated a lot of her story," says Grassley. She’s told her whole story in a private session of Grassley’s committee and the senator believes it’s time to change things.

“If [the translation unit] got word today… the Hoover Dam was going to be blown up…it takes a week or two to get it translated…you couldn’t intervene to prevent [the bombing] from happening,” he tells Bradley, “[The translation unit] needs to be turned upside down,” says Grassley.

The FBI has not responded to numerous attempts to seek comment on Edmonds’ allegations and other charges in Bradley’s report.

Lets take the issue to the news channels ...

I think it takes very less time for INS to adjudicate a Family based I-485 after finger printing. So, why should the Employment based take so much time? If the I-140 has been approved and the Priority Date is current why does it take so long for INS to adjudicate?
Here is how I see the I-485 process (the last stage i.e. after I-140 approval):
You wait in a line for the priority date to be current.
You wait in a line (after the priority date becomes current) for your case to be adjudicated. This is similar to waiting in a line to get to the door (which is the door to U.S.). Now just when you are about to enter the door, i.e. after waiting for 12 months, the Immigration Officers on the other side of the door comes to you and tells you Oh You are missing this document(s) (RFE). So, you get the document(s) and submit it to them and wait in the line again. Again you try to enter the door and they tell you "Oh Now you are missing this paper" !!! Where as all this time they are letting people behind you in the line to go ahead and enter the door.
Is this absolute shamelesness or what?!?!?!!?
Lets all get together and try to get CBS or some other TV station to report on INS and expose this organization!!
And then the INS has the nerve to approve the visas of the terrorists.
Lets form a group people and take some action!!
--milehigh1 :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
An Error Of Fact

In actual fact the INS did not process the approval for any of the 9/11 people. These visa's were issued in a consulate, therefore it was the State Department that issued the visa's, not the INS. The problem came that came to light was actually sending the confirmation notice that the visas had been approved to the flight schools 6 mths after the attack. The job of sending out the confirmation notices was actually done by a company that contracted the work from the INS.

Before you guys jump up and down on me for defending the INS, I too am going through the AOS process and am in limbo just like you. I too find it hard to understand why these things take so long. While we all I am sure have war stories regarding an over zealous immigration official. What I am certain of is that the delays are not due to any lack of dilligence on the part of individual INS employees. The INS did not create the framework of immigration law that they work within, for that you have to blame Congress. The fact that they have a very detailed adjudication process is also something that they cannot be held responsible for. Internal controls are generally only created as a result of some percieved problem. Such as people not telling the truth on their applications. You only have to read through postings on these forums to see that there are tons of people who are being 'economical' with the truth to the INS.

The answer to the question, 'shouldn't it be faster', is hell yes, but you cannot blame the INS for everything.

I agree some..but not all

I agree that INS needs to go through the processes..but what I do NOt understand is why certain service centers are efficient ,and others are not - and if they are understaffed,what do they do to overcome these problems.

Next:Regarding the comment that people are "econimical" about what they reveal..most of these "hidden info" is :
Job Change
Address

Neither of the above 2 infos are detrimental,and hence I do not agree they should warrant extra scrutiny -
for example - Birth Certificate RFEs...these are in huge numbers,when infact several documents supplementing the same are submitted to the INS - ppt,W2,Certificates,etc.

Next :All RFEs take a long time to get updated..there's no need for that.

I agree noone is perfect,but you have got to admit,INS ,and especially NSC (TSC - less said,the better) does not attempt to expedite processing,does not release accurate processing dates,makes a mockery of EB based processing.

Rules and processes are meant to simplify,not complicate situations.
Thanks
JACK