Insurance while driving to Canada

maasikus

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I am planning a trip to Canada and just called up my insurance company to check if the policy is valid in Canada. They said that I will need a "Canadian ID Card" and they will be mailing it to me. Now I will have to postpone my trip by a week or two. :rolleyes:

What has your experience been with Insurance while visiting Canada? Did you need an ID card as well?

Thanks,
Maasikus

Nope. I've driven in Canada several times with the ususal documentation (registration, driver license, and proof of insurance). I've never been asked to present those though.

It's better to get the insurance card for Canada before traveling to Canada. Only while involved in an accident, the authorities would look for insurance card and why take the chance and get stuck while you can get the card, for free, from the insurance company?

Take "Canadian ID Card" from your insurance agent before you leave.

As gin said, you will only need that in case of accident.

I was in Canada last year (to get H1 stamp) and carried that card.

maasikus said:
Hey guys,

I am planning a trip to Canada and just called up my insurance company to check if the policy is valid in Canada. They said that I will need a "Canadian ID Card" and they will be mailing it to me. Now I will have to postpone my trip by a week or two. :rolleyes:

What has your experience been with Insurance while visiting Canada? Did you need an ID card as well?

Thanks,
Maasikus

maasikus said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Maasikus

I was in a similar situation before my Canada trip. My insurance company did mail me the "CAN ID card" , but didnt recv it before my trip. Since i couldnt postpone my trip, I went anyway.
As others suggested, you would need that card only if you get into any accident. If you think you can take that risk, then go for it.
I am not sure how "must needed" that card is even in the case of an accident. check with your insurance company.

Thanks Guys for all your responses. We have decided to postpone the trip until we get the ID card from the Insurance Company.

Get the canadian ID card it comes at no extra cost. I was once pulled over for speeding in Canada ( th only speeding ticket I have received) and the police oficer asked me for the Canadian ID card un addition to my title and license.