INS Reducing Fees for AOS and EAD

Refugee and asylee apps will come to a halt. Thats what shusterman.com says, could this mean more stress on employment based apps?

I don't understand, why this stupid law of reducing fee? If people can pay thousands of dollars to lawyers, how does reducing fee from 120 to 88 help? I say take 1200$, but give the approval in a week, not more.

agree with...

SM... they should have a "Tatkaal" system like back home. They should also provide some guidelines which say how much can lawyers charge, lawyers fees are exhorbitant. My lawyer was asking me 700 bucks as lawyers fess to renew the EAD application + plus fees + S&H.

This is a harbringer of things to come! :( *sigh*. INS expects delays in 485 processing to take such a long time that people will have to spend more money on EAD's and AP's to exist in the vacuum. This is their way to expressing sympathy, "We know you immigrants are going to spend a lot of money on EAD's so here is a sop! Lowering the fees for EAD! We are going to make a lot of money of these you know, since demand is so high we can reduce cost of processing!"

update 01/24/03

The complete Fee details are now @ News Ticker of Shusterman.
The change is effective from today.

yea and it also says that (thank god) they will accept apps with older fees, they will just refund the money back.

I was wondering if this is another excuse they are gonna give to reject applications.

damn this is my post #900

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any guide line from INS yet ? It is confusion for me if I wanted to file EAD/AP today.
SM, We need to change our EAD FAQ

Vip, I am not sure if this fee reduction applies to employment based cases also. Y'know .. it seems to say asylee & refugee .. .

Thanks, but anyway you got another question for EAD FAQ,

Q. What is the fee for EAD application ? I am hearing that it has been reduced to $88.
A. No fees for I-765 employment based is still $120 , $88 is for asylee & refugee based applications.

I thought the INS was short of money, why the fee reduction? Damn they need to share what they've been smokin'.