INS made a mistake, how to make them correct it?

amao

Registered Users (C)
I changed my status from H4 to F1 in March. But recently I found out in INS computer system, I was assigned as F2 instead of F1 and this error was also confirmed by my local INS office but they refused to do anything for me even I have a correct I797. I called the 800 number on the I-797 form, held for more than one hour to talk to a real person and she could not help neither.

Anybody can tell me what I can do? I am totally freaked out now. Thousands thanks.

(post edited)

Last edited by a moderator:
F-1 students are not entitled to SSN, unless they are completing OPT and or authorized to accept a job. Please clarify on which basis you were asking for SSN.

amao said:
I changed my status from H4 to F1 in March. But when I went to apply my SSN last week, I was told that in their system, it shows that I am at F2 status and therefore can't get an SSN number! WTF! I actually received the I-797 form saying my stutus has been changed to F1. Today, this is also confirmed from my local INS office but they refused to do anything for me. I called the 800 number on the I-797 form, held for more than one hour to talk to a real person and she could not help neither.

Anybody can tell me what I can do? I am totally freaked out now. Thousands thanks.

I have an employment offer from my school. But the error here is not the SSN part but is that INS entered the wrong classification status (F2 instead of F1) on me in their system even though the I-797 says the right thing. They have to correct this problem but I don't how I can make them do it.

faith777 said:
F-1 students are not entitled to SSN, unless they are completing OPT and or authorized to accept a job. Please clarify on which basis you were asking for SSN.

Well you may want to go and speak with your school designated official, and if that does not bring a resolution to your problem I would schedule an infopass appointment.

Thank you for the suggestion. However, that is exactly what I have done today. Scheduled an infopass appoainment and went to the local INS office. They confirmed the mistake but refused to help and kicked the ball to the INS 800 # which did not help neither.

faith777 said:
Well you may want to go and speak with your school designated official, and if that does not bring a resolution to your problem I would schedule an infopass appointment.

I am sorry to hear that. Talking to your DSO may help since they can look up the SEVIS system and try to re-assign you the valid classification (they would actually initial the process and get assigned a "ticket" number based on which your case would be worked on). You have to be very persistent and keep in mind that it may take some time to change the information in the system.
Since its on-campus employment maybe your advisor can talk to the HR dept. and have your hire pending until this gets cleared. Also, you may want to ask your advisor for a copy of the letter that he/she sends to the SEVIS system and take it to SSN office and ask them it that makes any difference.
I know this sounds like a lot of running around, but I think you are do for a visit to your designated school official. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much, Faith777. The school international student officer is the last in my mind since you can't imagine how nasty she is. I am not an racist but this black lady is just unbelievable. I am going to see her tomorrow so please wish me luck. BTW, 7 is my lucky number and I am really grateful for the sincere help you provided. Again, thank you very much!

Not yet because I don't know to whom/where I should send the letter. I can't find any forms or instructions on USCIS website about this kind of issue neither.

Can you kindly tell me where to send the letter and what the fax number is? You help is greatly appreciated. I live in the NJ also.

crazy_newjersey said:
Have you tried writing or faxing to USCIS?